Stolen Pixels #242: Welcome to Town!

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Not to worry, when the game runs out of upgrades for your house, I'm pretty sure Nook the crook becomes no more than a petty shopkeeper.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
I always believed there was something sinister about Tom Nook... And this comic here is all the proof I need! While I love and support capitalism, something makes me wonder if Tom Nook isn't the devil himself in disguise, just to make you collect fish and fruit to feed his endless hunger..!

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
Nightfalke said:
I must point you all to the Something Awful Let's Play of Animal Crossing.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/

All the secrets will be revealed there.

And it's brilliant.
Scrythe said:
I remember reading a story somewhere in the depths of the internet where it started out being a review of Animal Crossing and ended up turning into a horror story involving harvesting organs, transformations, and an undead antagonist.

Tom Nook ends up killing himself by the end. It was glorious

EDIT: I found it [http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/Update%201/index.html]!

Read it. Now.
You were ninja'd pretty bad there, buddy.

---

My favorite part was when the protagonist learns that Tom Nook
was really his only friend on the island
Pretty clever, that story.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Antitonic said:
There are a couple things about Animal Crossing I always found strange...

If there are other "people" that are supposed to be working for Tom, where are they? Who moves to a new place with no stuff and no money? How do the guards know your name, and why won't they let you leave?

Obviously, Tom Nook is far more sinister than he lets on. THE PEOPLE MUST KNOW!
I'm Sorry! I can't let you do that!

Feb 13, 2008
fanklok said:
But holy crap.. wouldn't it be awesome if someone made a game like that? One that seems all lightness and sweet for a while -- "Here you are.. welcome to the town.. why don't you better your house? Make some friends? Play some little mini-games? Get new clothes?" and then at some point makes available a horrible dark twist to the game.. one which you don't have to follow, but is sitting there, lurking, for whenever you get the nerve or the urge to chase it to its end..
"Did you know you can donate one or all of your vital organs to the Aperture Science self esteem fund for girls? It's true!"

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
fanklok said:
But holy crap.. wouldn't it be awesome if someone made a game like that? One that seems all lightness and sweet for a while -- "Here you are.. welcome to the town.. why don't you better your house? Make some friends? Play some little mini-games? Get new clothes?" and then at some point makes available a horrible dark twist to the game.. one which you don't have to follow, but is sitting there, lurking, for whenever you get the nerve or the urge to chase it to its end..
"Did you know you can donate one or all of your vital organs to the Aperture Science self esteem fund for girls? It's true!"
I... who... what the fuck are you talking about?

Feb 13, 2008
fanklok said:
fanklok said:
"The Enrichment Center is committed to the well being of all participants. Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
fanklok said:
fanklok said:
"The Enrichment Center is committed to the well being of all participants. Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all."
But why did you quote me with something I didn't say, and stop quoting glados.

Feb 13, 2008
fanklok said:
LAWL, whoops....mistake on my part, that was meant to be to Kwil. *blush*

Kwil said:
Any game designers out there -- READ THAT STORY.. then get inspired to make something like it!
Play Portal

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Eagle Est1986 said:
Nightfalke said:
I must point you all to the Something Awful Let's Play of Animal Crossing.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/

All the secrets will be revealed there.

And it's brilliant.
Aw damnnit, you ninja'd me. The truth behind Animal Crossing is high octance nightmare fuel, truly not a children's game.
I just finished reading it.

I have to say...I'm...I'm shaken. This is equal to, even better than, many stories from H.P.Lovecraft.

I've never played Animal Crossing. Honestly, I don't think I ever could now.

Bravo to the writer. Truly a disturbing work.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
HankMan said:
First a Raccoon super 'hero' and now a Raccoon loan shark.
We really need to keep these creatures in the forest were they belong
Nonsense, now all we need is for Nintendo to get together with Marvel... this would be perfect for rounding out Squirrel Girl's rogues gallery.

Feb 13, 2008
Kwil said:
just doesn't compare for levels of disturbing.
Oh, you want disturbing?

I Have No Mouth... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream_%28video_game%29]

"insanity, selfishness, rape, misexoticism, paranoia, and genocide."

Darkseed is pretty fecked up. Weird Dreams. There's a lot of High Octane Nightmare Fuel games out there.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Kwil said:
just doesn't compare for levels of disturbing.
Oh, you want disturbing?

I Have No Mouth... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream_%28video_game%29]

"insanity, selfishness, rape, misexoticism, paranoia, and genocide."

Darkseed is pretty fecked up. Weird Dreams. There's a lot of High Octane Nightmare Fuel games out there.
For some reason, it made me think of Phantasmagoria 2; Puzzle of Flesh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagoria_2

An oldie, but a goodie.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
fanklok said:
Now I pose the pertinent question of how did you fuck that up?

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
Just to be a prick, I'm going to point out that raccoons are not rodents!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
What happened? Did you submit this 3 years ago and they just-now posted it? Though I'll admit that wording it as a poem was a nice touch. Still, I shouldn't see the joke coming from the very first panel; especially when the reason I see it coming is because every gaming webcomic in existence has done this joke already.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Swaki said:
how does "fool" rimes with "do", i have been trying to say it out loud in every accent i could imagine, and unless they pronounce it "dool" where samus lives i dont get it.

if someone got a audio file where someone gets it to rime i would greatly appreciate it.
It's that they both have the "Oo" sound. Rhyming two words doesn't require that they match-up 100%, just that they sound similar enough. If I were more of a literature expert I could probably go into more detail about it, but I can tell you that this isn't the first time I've seen examples similar to "Do/Fool" for rhyming.

M. Slater said:
IGN made a list of the top 100 videogame villans

http://www.ign.com/videogame-villains/index.html

Tom Nook is Nr. 72

http://www.ign.com/videogame-villains/72.html
This is true, but that list is invalidated by placing a Flavor of the Month character in the #1 slot.

Feb 13, 2008
fanklok said:
fanklok said:
Now I pose the pertinent question of how did you fuck that up?
I've honestly no idea. I guess I was going to reply to you and then replied to Kwil instead, not knowing that it was taking you as the quotee. How bizzare.