Stolen Pixels #43: Build More Prisons

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
"No way of paying for stuff online" = 12-16 year old who thinks he's entitled to play any game, even if mom and dad won't pay for it.

Mistwraithe

Mar 23, 2008
mlkjhgfds said:
World of Goo hasn't been released yet in Europe
Rubbish... you can buy it online from anywhere with internet... and if you pirated it then you definitely have internet.

Halbert said:
"No way of paying for stuff online" = 12-16 year old who thinks he's entitled to play any game, even if mom and dad won't pay for it.
It is amazing how people can use "I couldn't afford to buy it right away" as an excuse to pirate something. If you can't afford the latest plasma TV then do you steal it? Now granted, there is the faint difference that stealing a plasma TV means stopping someone else from selling/using it when pirating a game doesn't but it is still a pretty poor excuse. Save up for it... how many 12-16 year olds couldn't save up 20 bucks if they tried? So much better for them to just learn to steal it than actually working for something...

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Mistwraithe said:
mlkjhgfds said:
Rubbish... you can buy it online from anywhere with internet... and if you pirated it then you definitely have internet.
If you have a credit card. I know, in the US you have at least three and three others to pay for them but in Europe the average is about 0 point something. Also, in ye old days there was a concept called removable media. You went to a friend (check Wikipedia for that one) with an empty media and got back home with a full media.

The fact it, the only way to get the game in Europe until mid December is 2D boys with the mentioned restrictions (I did, just saying before the first burning bag of shit appears at my doorstep, courtesy of some projecting moron) or pirating.

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
The66Monkey -- if you don't want to buy a game without trying it first, only buy games that release demos. If they don't release a demo they have something to hide, so you won't be missing much.

If, after having passed on a game, you learn that it is the greatest thing since sliced cheese, you'll still have the opportunity to buy it, but cheaper.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
illiterate said:
Mariena --

You only get to enjoy a theatrical movie for 2 hours, but it can cost 10-20 bucks depending on whether you buy the overpriced food that comes with it.

If it's not worth 20 bucks to you, don't buy it. They have a demo.
$12.50 for an Imax ticket at the local theater. Only ever bought one for the Dark Knight. Food's overrated and overpriced.

illiterate said:
Deadly Yellow --

No one will argue that piracy on colleges is rampant. For world of goo, however, I wonder however how much of their 80% piracy rate is those who can't buy something where they live.

Which is the point the previous poster was trying to make.. with his hastily registered single-post account :D
See: China. Pirated material everywhere and no laws against it. Movies, hacked systems and games, you name it.

The66Monkey said:
If i (hypothetically) was to pirate say The Punisher (or any other game based on a movie) and realize after 11min that the game is horrible and that i would have to commit harakiri if i ever owned it i think it is fair that i do not go out and buy it.
However if i was to pirate Gun and realized that the game is better than a triple cunted hooker and i then go out and buy it i don't think i have done anything wrong.
It seems illogical for people to go out and buy a game they already own for free.

Mistwraithe

Mar 23, 2008
Anaphyis said:
If you have a credit card. I know, in the US you have at least three and three others to pay for them but in Europe the average is about 0 point something. Also, in ye old days there was a concept called removable media. You went to a friend (check Wikipedia for that one) with an empty media and got back home with a full media.
I can see lack of a credit card is a potential issue but there are online purchase methods which don't require credit cards these days - I confess don't know whether any of them can be used to buy Goo.

DeadlyYellow said:
It seems illogical for people to go out and buy a game they already own for free.
Ah but they don't own it do they? The66Monkey has a stolen copy in his example, then buys it once he verifies it is a good game. Questionable ethically but at least it shows some ethics ASSUMING of course he follows through with it. Of course in the World of Goo example is that alledgedly most Goo pirates stole it and then didn't follow through.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
Anaphyis said:
Mistwraithe said:
mlkjhgfds said:

The fact it, the only way to get the game in Europe until mid December is 2D boys with the mentioned restrictions (I did, just saying before the first burning bag of shit appears at my doorstep, courtesy of some projecting moron) or pirating.
Forgive me if I'm being naive... but don't you have banks? Cause I've never needed a credit card to add money to Paypal directly from my bank account. Furthermore, I can use my debit card from my checking account like a credit card, it even has a Visa symbol on it. I've never met anyone who's debit/checking card doesn't act the same way. Again, I'm only speculating that it's similar across the pond, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also : "The average number of cards per person was 2.4 credit cards and 1.6 debit cards. "
(Source : http://www.apacs.org.uk/resources_publications/card_facts_and_figures.html")

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Riicek said:
Forgive me if I'm being naive... but don't you have banks? Cause I've never needed a credit card to add money to Paypal directly from my bank account. Furthermore, I can use my debit card from my checking account like a credit card, it even has a Visa symbol on it. I've never met anyone who's debit/checking card doesn't act the same way. Again, I'm only speculating that it's similar across the pond, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also : "The average number of cards per person was 2.4 credit cards and 1.6 debit cards. "
(Source : http://www.apacs.org.uk/resources_publications/card_facts_and_figures.html")
[/quote]

I only have tangible numbers for Germany (about 25 million credit cards with an population of 80 million) and subjective impressions about France, Austria and Eastern Europe. However it seems to me when it comes to credit cards (not debit cards, that's another matter entirely) UK is pretty much an exception from the rule. It also depends on your bank. Most of the time, your ATM card is also a debit card but you have to get the credit card option in addition to that (for free or small yearly fee) - in which case you either get a separate credit card (more common) or a ATM/debit/credit card.

As for Paypal: Yes, you can wire money from your bank account. Never noticed that and I was in fact infuriated at one time that I couldn't do it - granted, that was some years ago. So forget what I said before, they are all douchebags.

Riicek

Oct 24, 2008
Anaphyis said:
I only have tangible numbers for Germany (about 25 million credit cards with an population of 80 million) and subjective impressions about France, Austria and Eastern Europe. However it seems to me when it comes to credit cards (not debit cards, that's another matter entirely) UK is pretty much an exception from the rule. It also depends on your bank. Most of the time, your ATM card is also a debit card but you have to get the credit card option in addition to that (for free or small yearly fee) - in which case you either get a separate credit card (more common) or a ATM/debit/credit card.

As for Paypal: Yes, you can wire money from your bank account. Never noticed that and I was in fact infuriated at one time that I couldn't do it - granted, that was some years ago. So forget what I said before, they are all douchebags.
Whoops, I think I was messing around with too many threads at once. For some reason I thought you'd specified you were in the UK. That's why I'd looked up numbers for that part of Europe. My mistake.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The66Monkey said:
illiterate said:
DeadlyYellow said:
yea but they don't own it =) but i mean it's not about owning a specific game or not, it's about supporting the games you want to see being made, it's is a brutally efficient way of putting consumer pressure. Imagine if you could for free sample every burger @ (fore example) macdonalds, some people would joust eat them self full on the samples but most people would probably purchase the things they found that they liked and recommend it 2 their friends. But this ofc means that commercials and hyping shit doesn't work and that is otherwise a sure way to sell a fair amount of your product even if it is shit.
I'm inclined to believe MOST people would fill themselves on the free samples when it comes to food. People can be surprisingly stingy.

And while it is a way to sell a 'fair' amount of your product think of what it's really doing. Brutally efficient way of putting consumer pressure? Of course. By pirating PC software we spread the message that we won't pay for it, thus push publishers to consoles. Justify it how you will, but remember it does not matter overall. It's the numbers that matter and when you have records stating 10000 copies of the product were sold and a server query stating 50000 people were playing, it tends to have a negative effect. Add into effect that it is an Indi game and now it's insulting.

You can obtain a decent opinion of a game without illegally acquiring it. Read player reviews (assuming it is well stated and formed,) watch gameplay videos or Let's Plays, etc. Just do not ask fanboys about it, GameStop employees, or major commercial reviews (IGN, Gamespot, etc.)