Stolen Pixels #5: Every Shade of Brown

NobleBear

Jul 9, 2008
Plactus said:
The thing that bugged me is that one of my favorite things about Guild Wars is the scenery. Shamus just happened to bog down in one of the few areas that aren't awesome, and it's supposed to be a depressing desolate wasteland.
There is no excuse for the art designer and texture artists to not make every area awesome, especially the first area(s) where you are introducing a story; thats the time they have the best opportunity to create atmosphere and immersion.

I'll grant you, many things do tend to look similar after they've been razed, but everything? not so much.

Zomni42

Jul 22, 2008
I think we may be taking the "Study in Brown" out of context. For instance the game starts(the tutorial) in a green lush paradise. Then the main conflict (which Noble Bear points out) razes the greenery. Eventually you get to a Jungle, Desert, Underground, some flat lands. It may be as subtle as a ten ton hammer, but the Devs were clearly trying to drive players to push forward and explore.. wouldn't you want to leave the brown?

Linkusmax

Jul 23, 2008
Although it was a comic and is rather funny I do have to agree you put forward a few misconceptions about the game.

1. Its called Guild Wars because the biggest emphasis of the game is on PvP where players Form Guilds and fight or have "wars" with each other.

2. As has been previously mentioned the game has a very varied landscape but tends to have a theme to each area. Post-searing Ascalon is the only bit I didn't really like.

MelTorefas

Aug 25, 2008
Know this is over a month old now, but still.

I loved the scenery in Guild Wars. I got through a lot more of it than Shamus did. And I laughed so hard at this comic I couldn't breathe. Then I saved it to my computer to show my friends. (Thanks for not including any DRM guys! ^~)

If you base your entire opinion about a game on one person's mocking comic, tough cookies for you. If you take everything literally, more tough cookies for you. If games are so important to you that having a game you liked be laughed at causes you such distress, well, you are abounding tough, tough cookies.

Me, I like my cookies soft and chewy.

Randomtime

Apr 2, 2009
Linkusmax said:
1. Its called Guild Wars because the biggest emphasis of the game is on PvP where players Form Guilds and fight or have "wars" with each other.

2. As has been previously mentioned the game has a very varied landscape but tends to have a theme to each area. Post-searing Ascalon is the only bit I didn't really like.
1. No, the story and the PvP have about the same empasis (they are linked, but RPG and PvP are essentially different game types)
The "Guild Wars" were a time before the original campaign, where wars between guilds were fought. I think pre production, they were planning to set the game in that time period (where wars with guilds make more sense to the storyline) but they changed the system (after they had announced the title.

ui264

Feb 10, 2009
This can be easily interpreted as a butt sex joke.

I think it is, it's the only real joke I could get out of the comic, still funny though.

V3KT0R

Oct 28, 2009
Man I noticed that too. Stolen Pixels is one of the funniest comics I've ever read.. even when I haven't played the game it's talking about before. Keep 'em coming.

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
No one will ever read this and I know this is old, but anyone who stopped playing guild wars after 10 hours, and was still in old ascalon should probably turn in their gamer badge. Also, after the brown and white, everything gets much prettier. Don't know why you expected to be blown away by the graphics of an mmo released in 2005, anyway.