Stolen Pixels #58: Xenoeroticism

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
krellen said:
But there is, in fact, no excuse for the Turians (I'll excuse the Hanar for having only three or four representatives in the game.) And it's actually kind of funny how much Liara tries to dispel the image of asari oversexuality when everything else in the game reinforces it. Yeah, I'm not buying it.
How can you tell the difference between male and female Turians? Voice? Does their vocal equipment change between genders like ours? Do you know?

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Anaphyis said:
And who knows whats under the Volos encounter suit. Maybe a Vorlon. Hey. Volos ... Vorlon ... wait a minute!
At least I know I'm not the only one to notice possible parallels between Babylon 5 and Mass Effect. Some more I noticed
Commander John Shepard - Captain John Sheridan (accidental similarity?)
Ancient evil alien race hiding on the edge of the galaxy
Krogans and Turians - Narn and Centauri?

Crais

May 27, 2008
lesterley said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I'm gonna make a game where all of the heroes are women over the age of 55, who have gray hair, and can kick ass.

They'll be adored and fawned over by young men with bare chests and rippling biceps.

It's only fair...

Leslee
In that case, I recommend a movie called the Triplets of Belleville. It has quite a bit of what you described, even if it's slowly paced at times.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
lesterley said:

I'm gonna make a game where all of the heroes are women over the age of 55, who have gray hair, and can kick ass.

They'll be adored and fawned over by young men with bare chests and rippling biceps.

It's only fair...

Leslee
Why "over the age of 55" specifically? There's a distinct lack of female badasses over the age of 40 in modern games, you might want to start there.

On a possibly related note, am I the only heterosexual who was offended by the lack of male on male "interaction" in Mass Effect? (Ha ha ha... I know the answer that one!)

R.O.

Mar 13, 2008
I was too busy putting a bullet in some alien brains to care about that but that definitely is an interesting point. You do travel with a female Quarian though. Your crew is a pretty ethnic spread of race among females. And think about where you are when you are playing Mass Effect. The space station is an intergalactic embassy, not a city for babes to be hanging out. Almost everyone in the station is a diplomat, soldier, or police officer. The Asari consorts are ultra expensive so it was like a privilege to be in that position. Mass Effect is supposed to make you feel special and not like some average joe.

Jul 9, 2008
krellen said:
And while I'm also not sure I'd know a female Krogan if I saw one (they're reptilian, so mammaries are unlikely), given the genophage it would be unsurprising to me if the Krogan were a misogynistic patriarchal society that kept women locked away "somewhere safe".
Actually, I think there was a female krogan on Noveria: That merc Inamorda.
vdgmprgrmr said:
Also, I (from what I've heard, I've never actually played the game) don't get the Asari. If they're an alien race from another planet and only have females, why would they be compatible with other male species? I dunno, but I don't think I'd even try to go for a blue alien, even if she looked hot.
Well, the Asari are compatible with other races because they get pregnant telepathically, meaning any race and gender can mate with them.

Dev Null

Jul 29, 2008
Actually, what we're talking about here is mostly the proportion of male to female voice actors employed in the making of the game. The Asari may _sound_ like women, and they look like escapees from one of George Lucas' teenage wet dreams, but the game makes the point that they are all asexual (and as they apparently have sex by thinking hard at your genes, I have trouble understanding how they even get their reputation for sensuality - the human way sounds like heaps more fun.) The only Quarian I've met so far looks and sounds female... through a full facial helmet that never comes off - who knows whats under there? The Salarians, Turians, Krogan etc. all sound male, but I'm not sure I'd even go so far as to say they look it. Turians look like bipedal grasshoppers; whats a female grasshopper look like?

Any use of human pronouns to describe aliens is bound to be inaccurate, but walking around calling everyone "it" is distancing and distracting. Given that the humans were going to arbitrarily assign them sexes, can you blame them for using the one that matches the perfectly accented American English coming out of their mouths? The Elcor and the jellyfish-dudes were the only things in the game that felt properly alien.

That said, Anaphyis is right; most of the rest of it I can deal with, but the all-Asari pole-dancers is just dumb.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Specter_ said:
Shamus Young said:
"fling poo at enemy"
This is totally offtopic, but I still see poo-flinging as a reasonable way to defend my person.
Ironically, we have come full circle: Poo-flinging and nukes are both terrible systems of defense, but excellent deterrents to would-be attackers.

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Specter_ said:
Shamus Young said:
"fling poo at enemy"
This is totally offtopic, but I still see poo-flinging as a reasonable way to defend my person.
Ironically, we have come full circle: Poo-flinging and nukes are both terrible systems of defense, but excellent deterrents to would-be attackers.
Compairing nukes and poo. That's an interessting point of view. But it would make for a good closing statement on the "Evolution of war" ;)

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
lesterley said:

It's only fair...

Leslee
Comparing that "idea" to Mass Effect it gives me the distinct impression that you havent played the game. Or am I wrong?

As for the joke in question, it didnt do anything at all for me personally. Probably because Ive come to realise that the immaturity associated with Mass Effect comes from the gamer community, not the game itself. Well, apart from the dancers I suppose, but Ashley provides a nice counterbalance to that actually.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
No... No, I think it's pretty obvious that it's written by a pretty immature person as well. If you've ever read Garth or something you'd recognize the pattern :)

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Allan Foe said:
On a possibly related note, am I the only heterosexual who was offended by the lack of male on male "interaction" in Mass Effect? (Ha ha ha... I know the answer that one!)
Possibly not. They have said that the sequel will allow Man-Shep the full range of options.

salamarian

Aug 3, 2009
I think there are women on the citadel, but given how the other asari will make it with men or women I doubt that helps

salamarian

Aug 3, 2009
lesterley said:

It's only fair...

Leslee
I would play that. I love these crazy fantasy games

=HCFS=Discoman

Jan 1, 2010
if you do the side quest for the asari consort, and choose the renegade "is that all?" choice for the payment, she will have sex with shepard
for those people who want to try it.
found it out at gamebanshee website, mass effect walkthrough (i was trying to find all the keepers and i didn't feel like searching the entire citadel.)

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
That explains why I didn't like Mass Effect! If I have sex with an alien, I want it to be WEIRD.

Like tentacles-are-so-vanilla weird.

Heh.