Stonking Great Game Contest Update

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Aqualung said:
...Duuuuuuuuuude...

This really makes me wish I knew how to design games. I'm no techie, all I can do is write. I think. Damn.
Same here, except for the writing part. That, and college would like to dictate that I not waste my time on games...damn you, Oblivion and Spelunky!!!

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Damn I wish there was a later deadline, it's crunch time at work currently and boyfriend is complaining I don't care about him enough (ah, humans.. so complicated.. programming's easier), makes it hard to work on anything on my free time despite I have dozens of pages of specs and a few prototypes already actually.

Chipperz said:
...Wow. Damn, wish I knew how to use Flash now...
If you're serious about that and have a bit of background in Flash & actionscript, you may want to check out Flashdevelop [http://www.flashdevelop.org], it's a more confortable IDE for Flash developments than Flash CSx (and it's open source, and free).

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Yahtzee is going to die under mysterious circumstances right after posting the ZP concerning the contest winner. Somehow his co-judges will pull it off, they can smell the blood in the water...

This makes me wish I knew how to program games. Best of luck to all contestants... the stakes have just been raised in ways I couldn't have imagined.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
This is a nice list of name drops, there, Escapist. One is inclined to think that this is gonna be a fantastic opportunity for Yahtzee to gripe directly to the source (if he actually gets to meet them, that is, and it's not all done online, which, thinking about, it probably is). Who knows, we might yet be playing a game where We spray poo on people's houses then write some rhyming couplets for it afterward. This...this is gonna be interesting.

Oh, and will there be a special ZP featuring the games that win?

Heart of Darkness said:
Cabbages and Carrots
This is way off topic, I know, but I gotta say--I love your avatar.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Looking merely at the titles of said guest judges, were I capable/had I submitted a game to this contest, it's fair to assume that my undergarments would be lined with still-warm bricks.

That's rather intimidating, fellas.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
I'll be happy if at the end of the game somebody writes "Dear Mr.Richard Dansky, stop it. P.S Vegas 3 would be nice right now."

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Kuliani said:
That's definitely a very wide range of judges. Going from academic to casual to high volume, across executive, creative, and development backgrounds.

To those that have yet to submit a game to be judged, this is looking more like a "foot in the door" than just some random contest.
True. If you manage to impress these judges, you might be working for them after this contest. I have zero game making skills (more on the planning aspect of things, can't program just yet), but I wish luck for all the entrants. Don't forget us when you go big!

I Framed OJ

Jul 21, 2009
Personally I think If we threw a knife in the middle of them and placed bets on the winner of first blood drawn upon the torso it would provide a way for someone to make money and decide which the best game is. Or at least what developers employ the best knife fighters. If a game employed a good knife fighter, I'd buy something it made.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Wow, this is a really impressive list. I'm guessing somebody is going to win a new job, not just a prize for this contest.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
This is really going to be an amazing opportunity for budding designers out there... I can't think of any other way for an indie designer to get this much exposure.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Kermi said:
This is really going to be an amazing opportunity for budding designers out there... I can't think of any other way for an indie designer to get this much exposure.
And, I imagine, some delicious additional attention paid to The Escapist. Between two Webbys and now this, it's shaping up to be an eventful 08/09 period.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Uh...

Does anyone else think that Yahtzee should be wearing armour to this meeting?
In the interview for the 4th anniversary he said that he has a good relationship with the designers and developers, it's the publishers he has issues with.

I'll echo the good luck to the contestants, and look forward to the results.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Kuliani said:
That's definitely a very wide range of judges. Going from academic to casual to high volume, across executive, creative, and development backgrounds.

To those that have yet to submit a game to be judged, this is looking more like a "foot in the door" than just some random contest.
Absolutely, this is an impressive list. I'm glad I didn't submit a game because seeing that list would give make my stress level rocket sky high.

Rusty Buchert: Senior Producer, Sony

Eek.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Screw these industry fools, the industry has too long remained ignorant on issues Yahtzee has no trouble pointing out, we don't need a bunch of blinds added to the panel. All power to Yahtzee!

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Uh...

Does anyone else think that Yahtzee should be wearing armour to this meeting?
I'd prefer him wielding a chainsaw.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Cabbages and Carrots
Thanks! From your avatar, I can see you are also a Mother 3 fan. I'm thinking about changing it to an unused sprite of the Masked Man soon.

Ultimate chimera goes om nom nom...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Cabbages and Carrots
Thanks! From your avatar, I can see you are also a Mother 3 fan. I'm thinking about changing it to an unused sprite of the Masked Man soon.

Until the monkey comes along and presses the button...(coincidentally, a button you can see on it's back in Smash Bros Brawl--odd bit of trivia there)

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Heart of Darkness said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Cabbages and Carrots

Until the monkey comes along and presses the button...(coincidentally, a button you can see on it's back in Smash Bros Brawl--odd bit of trivia there)
Yeah, I knew that bit of trivia. Here's some for you: the names of the seven Magypsies comes from the seven musical modes: the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrean modes. Also, the one that sound the most discordant is the Locrean mode.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Heart of Darkness said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Cabbages and Carrots

Yeah, I knew that bit of trivia. Here's some for you: the names of the seven Magypsies comes from the seven musical modes: the Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrean modes. Also, the one that sound the most discordant is the Locrean mode.
Now that i did not know. Nifty stuff you got there. Hmm...Urge to replay Mother 3 returning...see, not only are you teaching me things, you're making me nostalgic for games...