Stop scrolling. Click here. Everybody look what's goin' down.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
(I got the joke in the title. :D)

My 21 year old brother is watching Pokemon BW. I dunno if I should lose respect for him or love him.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hello, I am the creator of the character, "Great George Iron-Toe", for Sober Thal's NPC contest. George won me first prize, I'm proud to say.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
I have come to the conclusion that there isn't some sort of ideal situation on what people should or shouldn't be able to do in society, because there will always be conflict between people, because everyone is different. Society is dealing with other people, so my goal shouldn't be seeing how the world should be changed so I can do what I want, but how I can function in an inevitably indifferent, and sometimes hostile environment while still expressing who I am, finding happiness and enriching the lives of the loved ones close to me. I guess you could call me a 'pragmatic existential agnostic idealist' or something.

Yoshisummons said:
There is no right or wrong, it is all a construct fallacy to reach a preconceived objective either social or biological.

In a world increasingly becoming determinable mankind across the earth put their fingers in their ears and increasingly over time cry in vain and in denial for this truth, the fourth truth that free will is a lie is too much even for them to bear.
Hey, I agree with everything you just said. Let's be best friends forever.

Although I would say that the idea of free will can be of pragmatic use. That guy from a movie called 'Waking Life' sums it up better then I could: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/quotes?qt=qt0429861

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
90% of you wont read my post. For the 10% of you that do imagine yourself your favorite cookie for me. THEN EAT IT!!!

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
I was going to post something, but then I realized that someone else sad that, so here is the word "aardvark" written 32 times.

Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark Aardvark

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Rapists are like past shameful internet posts. They f#ck you when you least suspect it.

AvroLancaster

Aug 10, 2009
spartan231490 said:
AvroLancaster said:
I think that the word liberal is misused criminally in the United States. Meanwhile in the commonwealth it is usually only used as an alternative to "Social Democrat" and "Conservative."

This bothers me because I am a liberal, I believe that the only guiding principle behind any law is to increase the freedom of a citizen.

Classical Liberalism is a right wing philosophy that gets a hard on for the free market. Most American "conservatives" are either lunatics who believe that the "In God We Trust" on their money means that their country was actually secretly intended to be a theocracy, or are in fact classical liberals. Ronald Reagan was not a conservative, he was a classical liberal.

Reform Liberalism is an umbrella term for not the above. This is where I and most modern liberals (who are not mislabeled social democrats) fall in. We believe, like a classical liberal, that your freedom ends only where my freedom begins and that my freedom ends where your freedom begins. We also believe that if you are wage slaving at McDonald's and living in a cardboard box with no prospects that doesn't qualify as free. The goals of private enterprise are often counter to the well being (again, in a freedom-centric sense) of the population. The government needs to serve as a sentinel, a watchdog that with perfect vigilance and the tenacity of a hawk must guard the freedoms of its people from external threats as well as from both itself and from those that would erode the freedoms of its people from within.

Liberalism is the philosophy that protects the liberty of its people, reform liberalism is the philosophy that adds compassion into the equation and, in my belief, is the most rational choice for any society.

This is my original post, an appeal to Americans and commonwealthers alike, please do not misuse this word, because you are probably a liberal of some sorts deep down and you should look into Liberal parties as viable logical options that wish to see democracy function as it was meant to since its inception.
But who watches the watchers? I agree with your philosophy for the most part, but I think if you work in McDonalds and live in a cardboard box because of decisions you willingly made(no matter how stupid or uninformed you were) is freedom. Freedom cannot exist without the responsibility to accept the consequences of your actions. If you don't have to accept that responsibility because the gov't saves you whenever something goes wrong, then you aren't free. Especially considering that means they have the power to interfere in your life at their discretion, which leads back to who watches the watchers.
TheLoneBeet said:
There's no such thing as Road Rage. Everybody just has varying degrees of Road Intolerance for Stupidity. Those who don't; are the stupid ones. (Yes I did come up with that while driving)
This is an amazing thought, I love it.
Who will watch the watchers?

I think that this statement in this context implies a certain amount of fear or resentment towards the government. I don't mean to leave the impression that I think governments are to be trusted because they are governments, but at the same time, realistically speaking, Spartan, most western governments aren't the boogyman, they aren't out to get you and they certainly aren't tyrannical. Sometimes they might be ineffective or corrupt, but for the most part Canada, USA, UK, Australia, NZ, etc. have governments that are pretty far from the rhetoric that statement implies.

Anyway, with no disrespect intended, I think that your worldview is a little skewed with the McDonald/Box scenario. There is no such thing as equal opportunity, forgetting things like bigotry and prejudice, there are still those who have talent and those who have none, there are still those who have connections and those who have none, there are still those who have inheritance and those who have none, and there are still those who have disability and those who have none.

With the McDonald/Box example the intervention I was proposing wasn't that of government as a saviour coming in to save those who are hard on their luck. I was supporting a philosophy that preserves and protects their freedom. Minimum wage means that a person trapped in a situation where their best job prospect is Mcdonald's (whether you feel they deserve this situation or not) is still somewhat free. They don't need to work 80hours a week to stay alive if their government protects them from their employer's interests by declaring a minimum wage that ensures they can afford life and leisure (at least to some degree). Universal Health Care ensures that an individual who has had the misfortune of disease doesn't have to bankrupt themselves and end up in an 80hour a week scenario down the road (if they live) in order to live.

Reform Liberalism (or any Liberalism) does not afford the government the ability to "interfere in your life at their discretion." It simply posits that your freedom ends where mine begins. Mine ends where yours begins.

In the specific context of Reform Liberalism this is interpreted to mean more than a strict formal legal equality. It means that the person who screwed up their life and can work only at McDonald's (or the person who through circumstances beyond their control must do the same, really, it's unfair to judge) can still be free.

I really hope this doesn't come off as confrontational - it isn't, it's more of a clarification. I think that if the philosophy of a government, of a constitution, is that the freedom of an individual is the most important thing, more important than their very life, then I would assume they have already worked out who will watch the watchers - and it's probably a pretty damn good compromise.

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
What would life be like if the rest of your face was situated on your tongue, instead of placed as it is?

Would life be better if one had a third, double thumbed arm (so that the hand at the end of said arm could act as an extra right or left hand) protruding out of the middle of one's chest?

Why are arrowroot cookies so goddamn delicious?

There's a picture of John Lennon that resides on the wall to my right. Depending on the angle I look at it, I swear it's head shape, eye placement, and overall facial expression changes. I hate that picture, but I'm not allowed to take it down. It scares me.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Post something no one else has said?

Um...

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Yeah, I went there.
Dude, I have that screencapped

As for my response,

Originality is overrated. Why don't more people do the conformist thing, and take the piss out of discussions?

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
I used to want the kind of one-in-a-million relationship with someone that transcended legal marriage and could truly be deemed my "soul mate," then I started hanging out with people that were in relationships and I realized that a relationship is actually the last thing on Earth I want, even though everyone claims their relationship is better than ever.

duedmen

Sep 23, 2009
Guy 1:and were all very very drunk. guy:2 actually this is ribena *bam* guy1:good old Winchester
golden cookie for the reference

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
some what paradoxical I believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and know that everyone has thier own opinions on what is/isn't good and what they do and don't like but I also believe there are somethings in life be they musical compositions/pictures/videos that everyone regardless of the two former types of opinions that they should hold love/find beauty in. Or too put it more simply, I often wonder: How/why the fuck does some dislike this: *insert here a thing that you feel that way about*

Heres my example:

Mannayz

May 6, 2010
When everyone treats you like you're invisible, it does not mean you can easily peek at your friend taking a shower.

If two's a company and three's a crowd, how does that apply to people with multiple personality disorder?

If someone treats you like shit, have a gorilla throw you at them.

If one has knowledge, they seem to have little common sense. If one has common sense, they seem to have little knowledge. Isn't Charisma supposed to be the dump stat?

Ever have those dreams where you're living in a house possessed by the spirit of a hot nymphomaniac? Yeah....

I could go off on a tangent as to how much I hate my government or my weird observations on life, but I'm seriously trying to avoid TL;DRs.

No, I did NOT bet on Duke. I don't believe in gambling on college basketball.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
And lo, the princess of Tna's tireless servants were held from their goal by a grey wall that only appeared after the servants. Though the servants were innumerable and they could work through the manifold ancient tunnels as built by ancients gods, though the Tnas were as strong as a thousand of their peers, that single wall left their nation starving and the priness to watch her children dissolve into chaos. So ends Tna.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
ChuQue37 said:
duno if I was supposed to answer this in the PM I sent you...But I'd say my prior post answering your call for originality definitely falls within the realm of philosophical....though I was just going to make an observation on my own use of a model body painted and made to look like Cortana as my avatar or attempt to compare Cortana and Quorra. Two character who on some level are very similar while on others they are worlds and universes apart and maybe even think on what potentially could bring the two together into one world(without doing Crossover fanfiction X3)

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Grey Walker said:
I want you to think real hard about this: What do you want to do? Not in the immediate sense, but in your life. Who do you want to affect? How do you want to affect them? Why?

Now think: What are you doing to accomplish this? Is your life going to a place that will enable it? If not, then why?

Find a goal and pursue it. Think when you make a statement. Accept the possibility that you may be wrong and someone else is right. Be willing to change your beliefs based on facts and well reasoned arguments. Do not fall victim to popular opinion. Think and measure your opinions of something, and make choices unique to you.

Regardless of the state of your life, relations, or even the world, you are in control of how you act. Take responsibility for everything you do. Blaming something else removes your ability to make a change.

And fight anyone who would take this from you.
I want to say, thank you. Sincerely. I have a lot of goals in my life that, for a plethora of reasons, haven't quite come together, and I often feel a little depressed about that, especially lately. This isn't a sob story, this is to say that that is all irrelevant because I accomplish my greatest goal in life several times a week, and that my immediate failures have done nothing to impede my greater goal. Thank you for reminding me of that in the first part of this post.

I also agree with the last part of your post. A lot. I may quote this many times throughout my life, as it is a very poetic way of saying it. However, I do sometimes think that the greatest thing we can accomplish is to just let go of our goals for a few hours or a few days and just enjoy life, so I do not agree with the middle part of your post unconditionally.
You're most welcome. It actually means a lot to me that this has helped someone out.

And by all means enjoy life. Blind pursuit of a goal without enjoying the richness we have is no way to live. It is good to stop and remember that, so in turn, thank you.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.