STOP VIRGIN MEDIA! if you are one of their costumers, quit!

Meateater33

Feb 12, 2008
The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality is ?a load of bollocks? and claimed they're already doing deals to deliver some people?s content faster than others. They would then put websites and services that don't pay Virgin in the "slow lane", meaning those sites would load slowly and cause most users to give up using them, feeling forced to use whatever Virgin wants to push through their network.

This is not the first time an internet provider infringes upon net neutrality, but it is the first time that an ISP so brutally states that they simply plan to limit internet access to a television-like system in which the access provider completely regulates the content you have access to.

Virgin Media has over 3.5 million customers in the UK and the real danger is that when they start applying this system to their network, all major internet providers around the globe will soon follow the trend. Because this is exactly what major ISP's have been wanting to do for years.

But we can stop it.

If the masses of the internet react against this, we will set an example of what happens when one provider tries to take away our freedom. We will make it very clear that any ISP who tries to infringe upon net neutrality will see its popularity go down the drain because the users don't accept it. And we'll see to it that only the providers who care about safeguarding our internet freedom have our support.

Speak out in any way you can and spread the word.

LainiWeiz

Jan 16, 2008
If I were with them I would change right away.
Told a friend who's on Virgin Media about this and he was just like "Oh it's not going to make any difference if a bunch of people leave, Virgin Media and other ISPs get most of their money from big business, a few residential customers switching won't change anything"

So he's basically just given up.
The idea of doing away with net neutrality goes against the whole point of the internet in my opinion.

Minhef

Jan 22, 2008
Wow, up until this point I had been making countless costumes for Virgin Media, with little to no gratification. Finally someone brings all my thoughts on the company together in one post!

But seriously though, (and it is a serious matter), this could only end badly. The thing is, the chances are that people here, on this forum, are more likely to respond to this than the other, larger user group of Virgin Media; the casuals: The people who only use a few websites, be it to look up crossword clues or whatever, and thus would not be too badly affected by this. Thusly, they will see no reason to cause themselves the extra hardship of switching ISPs, and in the end Virgin prevails anyway.

CarrierII

Apr 9, 2008
Pff. I wonder which companies will be willing to pay for the "fast lane" - unless the "slow lane" is anything less than a 1-Meg, you won't notice too much...

Any idea on what this would do for internet gaming? (FPS).

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
If you really want to do something, go post this in one of the Chan sites. Those Anonymous buggers are scarily effective at defending their right to Net Neutrality.
I would rather life in a world run by Virgin media then people from 4Chan.

Nugoo

Jan 25, 2008
Ugh, Bell Canada is doing this too. They haven't made a public statement saying this, but they have been throttling the bandwidth of ISP's who lease their lines (Bell owns most of the phone lines in Canada), and they're lobbying to not have to lease their lines to ISP's.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
LainiWolf said:
If I were with them I would change right away.
Told a friend who's on Virgin Media about this and he was just like "Oh it's not going to make any difference if a bunch of people leave, Virgin Media and other ISPs get most of their money from big business, a few residential customers switching won't change anything"
he's wrong, most isp's bread and butter are the joe sixpack crowd, big business is only for a few really large isp's and several thousand ppl leaving for the same reason will be noticed

Nugoo said:
Ugh, Bell Canada is doing this too. They haven't made a public statement saying this, but they have been throttling the bandwidth of ISP's who lease their lines (Bell owns most of the phone lines in Canada), and they're lobbying to not have to lease their lines to ISP's.
actually they did make a statement saying they do throttle traffic and it was to provide better service to everyone, it was posted on both slashdot and digg

and they own all the phone lines in canada not just some

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
*goes to petition online to create a petition, but the site loads too slowly*

(I actually don't use virgin though, just wanted to say that)

moosehq

Apr 16, 2008
This is pretty annoying, if and when they start doing this I will probably cancel. If only their broadband wasn't so damn fast (at least in my area) compared to just about all the other ISPs.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
something like going against net neutrality should be illegal and internet providers should be monitored to make sure they don't go against it.
next thing you no, internet providers will be making websites pay them to even SHOW their website at all!
the internet is suppose to be a domain controlled by the PEOPLE, who are the only things that make the internet the marvelous thing it IS!

[VIVA LA REVOLUTION! lol]

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
i don't use virgin for anything i've got verison fi-os and damn is she fast, so i've no motivation to switch, i don't know anyone who uses or even works the counter at virgin stores so i can't do too much more myself but i will say i'm in favor of kicking some ass on this one.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Call me crazy, but I actually support the idea of posting this on a chan site. You use the materials you have.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Easykill said:
Call me crazy, but I actually support the idea of posting this on a chan site. You use the materials you have.
If they crash servers becuase over this, don't you think it'll send a message to Virgin, and anyone else who wants to jump onto the bandwagon?

Oh, and what's a DOS attack?

- A procrastinator

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
sammyfreak said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
If you really want to do something, go post this in one of the Chan sites. Those Anonymous buggers are scarily effective at defending their right to Net Neutrality.
I would rather life in a world run by Virgin media then people from 4Chan.
Seconded.

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
A DOS attack is a Denial Of Service attack. It basically means that so many computer start pinging to their servers that those servers can't handle it anymore and the network falls down.