Stopping Hitler

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
What if you could go back in time to 1907 when Adolf Hitler was only 18 years of age and stop him from rising to power in Germany? The catch is that you can't come back to 2008, you must stay in the 1907 timeline for the rest of your life... Would you do it?

To be perfectly honest, personally I'm not sure if I would. Not only for fear of disrupting the future but because I simply would not wish to spend the rest of my life in the early 1900's.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
It'd be pretty easy to stop Hitler's rise to power, we should've treated Germany much better in the Treaty of Versailles, and let them join the League of Nations straight off.

But if I could stop him being born......
Well I personally would jump at the chance of going back to 1907, because I think the absence of modern technology would make me a happier man, and stopping Hitler would be a bonus.

stevetastic

Oct 22, 2008
well i am a bit Jewish (not practicing) so probably yes, but if i was in the 1900's i'd totally own everyone by inventing everything.

DiamondJim

Sep 27, 2008
I think I'm with the OP on this one. Time travel theories are too risky for me, I wouldn't want to change the world for the worse, even if I had the chance to stop a catastrophe of the past.

And yes, the 1900's would blow.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I wouldn't. Mainly because I have 0 connection to that time period. I don't know anyone involved in WW2, and no one around me has ever "complained" about WW2.

What has been done has been done. Cruel, tragic and horrible as WW2 may have been, it was also a very good time period for technology and industrial advancements. You probably wouldn't have the computers today, otherwise, but obviously I can't tell that for certain.

Also, you wouldn't have your Call of Duty games. Think of that! :(
(Okay, just kidding on the last one)

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
If I did that I would cease to exist, my German grandparents would never have met. Thus my mother would not exist. Thus my father would not have met her. Thus I would in theory, cease to exist. I'm fairly sure alot of people, especially Europeans would likewise never exist.

CAB_IV

Oct 15, 2008
Haven't any of of you played C&C Red Alert? We all know what happens when you kill hitler!

We should do it, i want a chronosphere....

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I think I could do a lot of good in the early 1900's. Especially with a lot of what I know.

CAB_IV

Oct 15, 2008
IactoSophos post=18.74734.844225 said:
What, and let Stalin take over Europe? You obviously have NOT played Red Alert
DAMN beat me to it by a couple minutes...

stevetastic

Oct 22, 2008
Mariena post=18.74734.844208 said:
I wouldn't. Mainly because I have 0 connection to that time period. I don't know anyone involved in WW2, and no one around me has ever "complained" about WW2.

What has been done has been done. Cruel, tragic and horrible as WW2 may have been, it was also a very good time period for technology and industrial advancements. You probably wouldn't have the computers today, otherwise, but obviously I can't tell that for certain.

Also, you wouldn't have your Call of Duty games. Think of that! :(
(Okay, just kidding on the last one)
yes you would because i'd invented the fuck out of them, also i would find a butcher Josef Megele (look him up)

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
curlycrouton post=18.74734.844193 said:
It'd be pretty easy to stop Hitler's rise to power, we should've treated Germany much better in the Treaty of Versailles, and let them join the League of Nations straight off.
Here's an eerily prophetic cartoon from 1920 - they guessed that the Germans that grew up with the Treaty of Versailles hanging over them would fight back in 1940. The writers were only a few months out from the actual date ("The Tiger" was the nickname for the French leader, George Clemenceau).

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Check out this short story [http://www.abyssandapex.com/200710-wikihistory.html]. ;)

-- Alex

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
The question gives specific parameters people; if you kill hitler you stay in 1907 regardless of the time altering effects, because you continue to live in an alternate reality, your original reality would stay the same and you simply live in this new one. jeez people read and understand the question fully.
I know that it doesn't say anything specific about alternate realities but it is implied