Storage chest only in DLC in many games

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Amnestic said:
squid5580 said:
By using the storage chest and ignoring fucking idiots online who think they know how I should enjoy the game I paid for.
In other words, choosing a certain gamepath. Glad we've established that the storage chest isn't a necessity but rather a luxury.
Uhh no we haven't established anything. Unless of course you think neccessity = being able to beat the game and doesn't equal maximum enjoyment. Straight up I wouldn't have been able to beat it without a faq on my lap the first time through. I didn't know what I would need later on so selling crap was out of the question. Not having the storage chest would have effected my playtime negatively. Who knows if you are going to need a blank vellum or a wolf pelt in the near future? Hence I believe it is a neccessity for at least the first playthrough.

Hurray Forums

Jun 4, 2008
Amnestic said:
You don't need a storage chest in Dragon Age.

Stop hoarding shit.

Also, there are reasons why. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.154083#3719305]
While you don't "need" it, it certainly would help. Storage chests (or extremely large player inventories) are a basic feature that have been in RPGs for decades. "You can get by without it" is an extremely slippery slope when it comes to game design, and considering the inclusion of storage chests in Bioware's other games that are fairly similar and the fact that they intended it to be in the main game it seems pretty clear that it's a feature that SHOULD have been there. I'm not saying they should have delayed the game for it, but when they did fix it it should have been a free patch.

Borderlands not having a storage chest without DLC is absolutely inexcusable. You're SUPPOSED to be a greedy hoarder, then the game doesn't even give you the means for playing it like the loot based game it is. It kills half the fun of having bazillions of guns if you can carry only a small number. While you once again can get by without it why should you have to? I don't think asking for a feature as basic and simple as storage is too much to ask without having to pay extra.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Hurray Forums said:
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

Also, there are reasons why. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.154083#3719305]
While you don't "need" it, it certainly would help. Storage chests (or extremely large player inventories) are a basic feature that have been in RPGs for decades. "You can get by without it" is an extremely slippery slope when it comes to game design, and considering the inclusion of storage chests in Bioware's other games that are fairly similar and the fact that they intended it to be in the main game it seems pretty clear that it's a feature that SHOULD have been there. I'm not saying they should have delayed the game for it, but when they did fix it it should have been a free patch.

Borderlands not having a storage chest without DLC is absolutely inexcusable. You're SUPPOSED to be a greedy hoarder, then the game doesn't even give you the means for playing it like the loot based game it is. It kills half the fun of having bazillions of guns if you can carry only a small number. While you once again can get by without it why should you have to? I don't think asking for a feature as basic and simple as storage is too much to ask without having to pay extra.
And you missed the complete BS statement in the interview. Because having the chest in camp is impossible because it moves around? So you couldn't have put the chest somewhere else in the game? Oh yeah that's right you did. And charged us for it.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Blaster395 said:
Lots of games only give you storage chests if you buy DLC, such as borderlands and dragon age origins.
Having storage chests in games with items is the most obvious thing in the world but why is it usually not released in the original? Do they want more money or do they not think it is necessary until they get a lot of complaints?
I bought Dragon Age Origins the collector edition, so that wasn't an issue for me, but when I found there was a storage chest in Borderlands, via DLC, I'd already gotten my platinum trophy, and there's 45 weapon slots. I'm not paying for a fucking chest. Gearbox really have become twats since they collaborated with Valve on the first half-life series.
They're already making a second Borderlands and they haven't even fixed the first fucking one.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Eclectic Dreck said:
Veylon said:
A basic thing like a storage chest ought not to be DLC. That's like denying you a compass or a map or the ability to run or having hotkeys without forking over extra cash.

DLC should be extra stuff, like weapons or areas or characters or spells. But a storage chest? Oy.
I played through the ENTIRE game without the use of either a storage chest, or actually collecting my DLC companion, Shale. The removal of these pieces do not detract from the experience of the game. For example, with the item limit, I found that after completing a major quest and doling out the loot, simply selling the unnecessary bits, giving away the gifts, making the traps and poisons and health packs and whatnot left me with sufficient free space to journey through an entire additional major quest without being forced to discard items or not loot certain things. Even when the box WAS added, I couldn't really be bothered to exploit it.
Oh, and apparently there's backpacks AND you have a base 125 slots. I guess not that big a deal then. I thought it was some kind of Diablo where you have ~40 and you NEED that chest. My bad.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Veylon said:
Oh, and apparently there's backpacks AND you have a base 125 slots. I guess not that big a deal then. I thought it was some kind of Diablo where you have ~40 and you NEED that chest. My bad.
Actually it's 70 basic and can be maxed out to 125 by buying backpacks (which can be quite tricky to find after the first few). I managed to get through my first playthrough without the chest, but I ended up deleting quite a lot of stuff because I would have too much loot mid-quest and wouldn't want to walk all the way back to civilisation to sell it (I'm looking at you, Dwarves). Well, that and the fact that I stockpiled item ingredients that I wasn't using like only a paranoid on their first playthrough can.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
As others have pointed out there can be real reasons for day one DLC, I might not like the idea in how it affects single player games (Me and my friend had very diffrent experances with DA:O due to shale and Wardens Keep). ButI understand why it exsists, its not like AC2 where they pulled out content with the intention to sell it to make money.

Amnestic said:
Stop hoarding shit.
Never!

I've been a hoarder since Baldur's Gate and I'm not about to stop now.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

I have a compulsive hoarding problem, but thankfully I've been starting to get over it. Perhaps I'll purchase Dragon Age, speed the process along a bit.

I actually have Borderlands, the only other game in recent memory to include a storage chest via DLC. It didn't really need it, though it will no doubt be appreciated by collectors and those who have one or two extra guns they want to keep.

This seems to be yet another case of irrational hatred of DLC. The games in question were designed to play well without storage chests, and saying that the companies are evil for charging the player for an additional feature (which isn't a necessity) that the developers thought it would be cool to add seems to be nothing but baseless aggression.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
The reasons for not including the chest initially were technical in nature. It became a cut feature that was later implemented during time off the original schedule. Thanks to DLC, it's easier to take partially implemented features that wound up on the cutting room floor and re-implement them into the game post-release.

Or they could just stay cut, like they have in the past.

I find it laughable that people ***** about things like this, but it's not unusual for people to whine about something when they aren't privy to what's really going on behind the scenes. Everybody's a conspiracy theorist at heart, apparently.

Of course, people are welcome to disagree but there's one fundamental factor to my point of view that trumps any arguments, as far as I'm concerned: I'm actually in a position to know the truth.