Stories that you gave your characters in XCOM Enemy Unknown (SPOILERS!)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The funny thing about people with no personalities is what when we play with them for an extended period of time, our imaginations start filling in the blanks. For example, I had two Colonels, the heavy that survived the tutorial mission, and a female sniper that joined up only a couple of missions later. I always used them on missions a lot and I always viewed them as the field commanders, considering how they were the most experienced soldiers and tended to wreck shit when they were around. My mind went to dirty places and I always liked to think that they had a thing for each other.

But then, one day I gained the ability to test my soldiers for physic powers. I didn't want to take both of them off of the battle field, so I tested the sniper while I kept the heavy on active duty...then a terror mission happened. It went badly to start with, half of the civilians getting slaughtered but...then I underestimated the durability and range of a Berserker...my heavy...didn't make it back. It hit me pretty hard, that my oldest veteran had finally kicked the bucket, but I couldn't help but wonder what my sniper would've said. If she had been there with her plasma sniper rifle, this could have easily been avoided. That kinda ate away at me for awhile.

To make it even worse? She failed the physic power test...if I had sent her on that mission instead of wasting her time...Odin would still be alive...her lover would still be alive.

Yeah. It's kind of a dark story, but it's still mine. So, what about you?

EDIT: Ah crap, there's another thread like this up? I didn't see that, I swear to christ.

EDIT 2: Also, something that's kinda funny. My Volunteer? My most powerful physic and the one who made the ultimate play at the end of the game? He was a rookie. A Corporal to be precise, he had only been on a handful of missions and got shoved into the spotlight for the final assault...and he performed beautifully. May be rest in peace. The Human race is in his debt.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Ramon 'Click Clack' Garza.

Hailing from Argentina, he was there at the commencement of the XCOM project, a father figure to his fellow operatives, he reminded some of a wise Native American shaman, giving guidance to his charges, sometimes straight, sometimes in riddles that consumed men for days.

When the satellites unearthed the Alien Base, deep inside Russia, Garza was among the first to volunteer; but he was not a glory seeker, nor a killer at heart, we don't know what motivated him. He moved inside alongside his team, watching everyone's back except his own; God willing, he'd get them out alive.

He was solid, and remained solid as his comrades fell beside him; 'Loopy' Liz Wilson and 'Drop Bear' Walker fell within seconds, and suddenly 'Click Clack' was alone. He soldiered on bravely, but he must have known in his heart that he wouldn't be coming home.

Our last video feed before he went quiet was unnerving. Chrysalids. Their creeping tendrils. Those jaws.

We only hope that he gave the bastards hell before he was taken.

The entire team were killed on that mission.

We never forget.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, er... I don't go quite so far as shipping my soldiers.

However, I've had a couple of favourites.

On my current playthrough I have this one shaven-headed, shotgun wielding assault soldier. She was one of the original recruits I started out with. Tended to wreck the enemy's shit on a regular basis, rarely missed a shot and got way more than her fair share of criticals. Made it to max rank in no time and saved many an arse along the way. Her crowning moment of glory was gunning down three chrysalids in one round.

She also tended to take a nasty beating. Hardly ever finished a mission with more than 4HP left and had to be stabilized/revived on several occasions. On one such she was smacked down by a berserker, was revived, killed the berserker, then opened a door and was immediately beaten back into unconsciousness by another one. (That was an ugly mission, lost two guys.)

However, while she always made it through one way or another, all those wounds had taken a toll on her willpower. She started to panic frequently. But her idea of "panic" seemed to be "gun down every alien in sight with unerring accuracy". I eventually took to equipping her with combat stims to bolster her nerves.

Then she turned out to be my first psionic.

I promptly changed her nickname to "Subject Zero".

Oh, and as the cherry on top, guess who does her voiceovers? Yup.

On the next episode: Two unconscious and bleeding soldiers, one poisoned VIP and only two medkits to go around.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Yeah, my mind is kinda hardwired to go that way. Admittedly I imagined that they were kinda quiet about it and more focused on their jobs, but still.

Anyway, she sounds like she's a real glutton for punishment. Hope that that trauma didn't negatively affect her expected lifespan.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Not exactly a "story", but I accidentally gave my Chinese sniper chick the wrong perk, instead of Run & Gun, making her quite useless to my eyes, as my team is all about mobility. I remarked loudly to my wife "well, she's useless now".

Well, the long and short of it, she ended up being the best soldier in X-Com, a hardcore veteran, highest number of kills, an absolute BEAST with a Plasma Sniper. Then to make it even more ironic,
she not only developed psychic powers, she ended up being The One!

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Jeff 'nightmare' walker My sniper and his brother Frederick 'angel" walker support guy They always go on missions together and always stick by each other Jeff is also the best sniper I have ever had he has a very low miss rate and most of his shots are one hit kills The was also there close buddy Folir zeng He died on his seventh mission while both walker brothers where in the infirmary his death shock the base as he was one of the most experienced and well loved man the next mission the walker brothers took out every enemy by themself to avenge zeng

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Iwata said:
Not exactly a "story", but I accidentally gave my Chinese sniper chick the wrong perk, instead of Run & Gun...
Wait... what?

'Run & Gun' is an assault class perk, snipers can't get it. Plus, it's not even optional for assault soldiers since they all get it as soon as they get assigned their class, like rockets for heavies or headshots for snipers.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, I like to think that my squad members thought the Assault role was cursed, since I really only ever lost Assault blokes.
Other than that, not really anything.
I'm a tragically uncreative person.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Zhukov said:
Iwata said:
Not exactly a "story", but I accidentally gave my Chinese sniper chick the wrong perk, instead of Run & Gun...
Wait... what?

'Run & Gun' is an assault class perk, snipers can't get it. Plus, it's not even optional for assault soldiers since they all get it as soon as they get assigned their class, like rockets for heavies or headshots for snipers.
Derp, not Run & Gun, I mean the one that allows snipers to move and shoot. :p

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
VeryOddGamer said:
Well, I like to think that my squad members thought the Assault role was cursed, since I really only ever lost Assault blokes.
Other than that, not really anything.
I'm a tragically uncreative person.
Funny, I keep on losing whatever poor support sap I spec as the medic. My assault guys are nigh invincible at this point. My most recent one almost got chrysalid-ed, which would have been unfortunate considering it was the assault the base mission and he was the only one with medkits.

My sniper Benjamin "Ice" Lloyd is pretty much the finger of God, he almost never misses and has like a 50% crit chance even at ridiculous ranges. He actually saved my poor support medic sap on that mission, well, with the help of a couple heavies with fricken laser beams. I'd imagine all the soldiers back at base are pretty much in love with the guy given that he's saved them all at least once, from killing a flanking muton to turning a cyberdisk into wreckage before it even gets an attack off.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Iwata said:
Zhukov said:
Iwata said:
Wait... what?

I assume you meant you wanted Snap Shot but picked Squad Sight by accident.

The only story I can think of that happened for me was a male/female pair of Heavies. (I think they got promoted together too.) they worked so well together or had something in common like nick names that went together that I wanted to make them a permanent duo re-nick naming them Bonnie and Clyde. Unfortunately "Clyde" died in combat. Afterwards I had her take on his last name.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
Lucy 'Crash' Robinson was a pyromaniac punk who joined up with XCOM to make things go boom, and make things she didn't recognise as human go even more boom. She rose to the rank of Colonel with ease, keeping her subordinates in line with her fiery attitude and ever fierier bronze mohawk.

She led the charge on the alien base and many more missions besides, but her reckessness and thirst for violence has landed her in the sickbay more times than she can count. When psionic testing was finally perfected, she was the first in line to take part. And what do you know, she passed, becoming XCOM's first psychic soldier.

Nowadays she's eager to test out her new powers and start invading some minds. And making them make their own stuff go boom...

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Erm, I guess on one playthrough there was two brit soldiers named Sophie and Raymond that shared the same last name, so I pretended they were siblings and it did effect the way I approached any given sortie where they were both open to be deployed... but that's about it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Everyone ran in and died.
Although my first ever Psi survived long enough to be my volunteer.
Big scary lookin' black fell with a massive fucking plasma chaingun.

Also, one guy was from India and his call-sign thing turned out to be Prophet, so I might have kind have decided to rename his first name as Mohammed.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Lucane said:
Iwata said:
Zhukov said:
Iwata said:
Wait... what?

I assume you meant you wanted Snap Shot but picked Squad Sight by accident.
Exactly that, thank you.