Stormcloaks are too mainstream.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
My race is Imperial. For the sake of irony, I must join the Stormcloaks! (though you did get me thinking there)

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
orangeban said:
Seriously though, I've never been a fan of the Stormcloaks. Even at the start I sided with the Imperials (because I though Hadvar seemed like a nice guy, which I admit isn't the best reason).
Is there a better reason when you've got two groups of stupid jerks pummeling each other with weapons?

I sided with the Imperials but Tullius yelled at me because I pretty much gave Ulfric everything he wanted in the negotiations. I was like, I don't care what I give him, because I'm just going to conquer it all back for you after I get done with this dragon business. :p

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
ok as far as i recall the lore Skyrim was originally Elven land, like all of tamriel, it was the home of the Snow Elves, known better now as the Falmor. after them it was the Dwarves, who vanished. Skyrim needs the Empire, without it, the Aldmarii will invade and they will win, they took half of Hammerfall, Half of Cyrodil, they control Elyswere, the Summerset Isles, Morrowind and Vvadenfall and i think Black Marsh. the Empire still exists because of 2 things the Redguards holding the Red Desert and the Emperor being a tactical genius.

and as a Elf, FUCK the Stormcloaks and their Racist bullshit.

oohhhhh yea, i forgot something

a paraphrase from an NPC

"everyone still has their shrine to Talos despite the ban, it was when Ulfric up and got all bitchy that the Empire HAD to step in to avoid war"

BAM. the Thalmor in Skyrim is Ulfric's fault.

DC Boxer

Nov 3, 2011
Dectomax said:
As quoted from UESP:

Later, in 4E 171, the Thalmor invaded Hammerfell and Cyrodiil after Titus Mede II rejected their Ultimatum. Aldmeri forces would push deep into both provinces, taking many cities, including the Imperial City. The Thalmor then faced their greatest defeat (later known as the Battle of the Red Ring), in which they lost all of their forces in Cyrodiil. Despite this, due mainly to the exhaustion of the Imperial Legions, the Great War ended with the White-Gold Concordat, which resulted in Talos worship being outlawed in the Empire, and a significant portion of Southern Hammerfell becoming part of the Dominion. However, Hammerfell rejected the treaty and left the Empire, continuing to fight the Thalmor until 4E 180, when the Second Treaty of Stros M'kai was signed by both sides, resulting in the Aldmeri forces pulling out of Hammerfell, and a territorial status quo.[2]

Apparently, the Imnperial's are the good guys - having beaten the elves, but being in a position were they couldn't finalize the victory decided on a Stalemate. If the stormcloak's would stop their revolution and join the empire and Hammerfell, the elves may actually be pushed back.
Except the Stormcloaks wouldn't be joining the Empire and Hammerfell; Hammerfell seceeded, like it said in the article that you just quoted.

Furthermore, the fact that the Thalmor would be able to take either the Empire or an independent Skyrim is a total lie. The Altmer wouldn't be able to handle either faction at the rate things are going now, especially since both the Stormcloaks and the Imperials are both fully aware that as soon as this Civil War ends, the Dominion is next on the chopping block.

The bottom line, to put each faction into layman's terms, is this:
The Stormcloaks are Nationalist Libertarian Conservatives, looking to preserve their culture and their worship of Talos through independence and ethical superiority.
The Imperials are Imperialist Authoritarian Liberals, looking to coordinated and impartial government in order to solve their problems, while maintaining a tight hold on dissidents with capital punishment.

Frankly, it doesn't matter who you think would win, because either/or would be able to take the Dominion no problem, especially based on the in-game writing.

The spoiler contains my personal opinion on which faction I'd work with. It is not necessary to quote, and it has some spoilers about the Civil War.

Personally, it's hard for me to make a choice. I've always been one for independence and self-sufficiency, but at the same time there's always the problem of leaving small-scale politicians in control of a formerly-diverse region. While I'd like to say that the Nords will get over their racism once they put the White-Gold Concordat behind them, there's always the issue of favoritism, especially after that political purge that follows Stormcloak conquests.

Of course, there's also the problem of Imperial conquests and their replacement Jarls. Maven takes total control of Riften if the Imperials win, which is a bit of a problem if you know what Riften is like. This also lends itself to the theory that the Imperials are Affably Evil rather than just doing what needs to be done: they're callous, and it shows, particularly if they win. Sure, Tullius is a personable guy, but you aren't fighting to elect one person to power or another. No, you're fighting for a set of ideals. The fact that Tullius is more likeable or more down-to-earth than Ulfric has nothing to do with why you're fighting, because if the Imperials win, he's leaving to go fight the Thalmor. The Nords will again, be placed under the boot of an oppressive Empire.

Sure, the Stormcloaks get stuck with Ulfric, but one person only lasts so long. The ideals of the Nordic Nation will inevitably change. Racism will die out, with just as much certainty that the White-Gold Concordat will be repealed.

I agree with Stormcloak philosophy more, but I'm playing through both storylines, so my actual choice is somewhat diminished by the fact that I chose both.

DemonCrim

Feb 17, 2009
I played as a high elf and sided with the Empire for the soul reason that Ulfric was a racist prick that was throwing a tantrum because he didn't get his was way.

And I put his head on a stick because of it

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
Jakisall said:
To be honest i went with the stormcloaks by accident in the beginning of the game where the dragon is attacking and you have to choose imperial or stormcloak it said the name of the person to follow I had no idea who was who and just went for the closest door.
It doesn't matter who you run off with at the start, you can pick either faction regardless. I went with the Stormcloak guy by accident too, and there are literally no consequences for doing so.

pumuckl

Feb 20, 2010
Puzzlenaut said:
I only just realised...

Nationalistic political entity that hates all races except for the Nordic race overthrowing a foreign, imposed government?

Rise of the Nazis anyone?

OT: Stormcloaks get more support because its cool to be a rebel.
as long as we dont start seeing elven internment camps i think we'll be ok

ot: i think everyone misunderstands the Nords distrust towards other races as racism, and hatred. Ulric's a man fighting for his people, he cant go letting other races with hidden agendas getting in too close too him or other high ranking members.

also, remember that Imperials are more often then not racist as well, just cuz you figure out how most effectively to assimilate a group of people, doesn't meen you're not destroying they're culture or that you love them. It just that you're the better jerk.

and about the queen who says Ulric killed the king unjustly, SHE WANTS THE THRONE TOO. Yeah, cuz she has no reason to lie too you. video games cant lie right?

lastly, to sum this all up in hopefully a more consise manner, HOW CAN YOU BE RACIST, AND A PUPPET OF ELVEN INTERESTS? if you ask me, Ulric is the type that'd never let his enemy an inch of peace, as long as they attempted to rest on his homeland. In war time, national pride is essential, and the imperials just dont have it any more, the stripping of their gods was the stripping of their power, and the Thalmer knew that. It will take someone more stuborn then intelligent to defeat them imo.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
pumuckl said:
Puzzlenaut said:
I only just realised...

Nationalistic political entity that hates all races except for the Nordic race overthrowing a foreign, imposed government?

What about ghettos? Like say the grey quarter in Windhelm or the fact that Argonians aren't even let into the city.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Zetion said:
AdamG3691 said:
Zetion said:
michiehoward said:
Ahhh guys, don't say The Elves, its not the Elves or all Elves, its a particular group of dick Elves I hope we can obliterate in some future DLC.
Is it wrong I hate the Altmer? I've never met a nice one.
Faralda (the destruction trainer at the mage college) is pretty nice to you. but other than her and your player character, I cant remember any other altmer that aren't either thalmor or paranoid/insane.

by the way, about the "joining the stormcloaks as a high elf" thing: I tried, there's an amusing bit where you are asked how you feel about elves and you have the choice to say something along the lines of "yeah, we really suck don't we?" (or alternatively "everyone is equal"), I think its one of the few times any of them actually acknowledge that you aren't a nord
You play a mage?

I want to get into them, but i've heard that destruction is a dead end.
I've got to about 50ish on destruction, so I'm not too sure how it is further on, but being able to sith up a dragons day with rapid-fire lightning bolts up the jacksy is always fun.
if nothing else, being able to dualcast lightning bolt and launch a corpse over whiterun is always a joy to behold, so is dealing a non fatal blow with ice spike:
"yo, enemy dude, youve got a giant spike of ice penetrating your skull and groin, you going to do anyything about it?"
"nah, its cool"

also, watching an enemy on fire run off a cliff or an electrocuted enemy just plain disintergrate is AWESOME.

(plus, dualcasting a destruction spell with the impact perk basically stunlocks an enemy until it dies or you run out of magicka, so the lack or armor is no problem either)

oh, and you get a perk from alteration that means you get more armor from running around naked, than if you actually wore anything

the main problem I have is not "accidentally" buggering up quests because the person I'm trying to help won't stop getting in range of a conga line of chain lightning.

(also, the fact that the spells have unique ways of gaining skill levels means you actually get into the mindset of a mage as you try and gain as much power as possible with the minimum effort in ridiculously contrived ways, such as my "lets play telekinetic catch with a dwemer gyro in the hall of elements" training, or "equilibrium = less health but more magicka, healing = more health but less magicka, therefore equilibrium + healing = free resto skill levels")

seriously, being a mage is amazing, and thinking of interesting ways of using the spells is its own reward, I was thrilled the first time I realised that it was possible to set oil on fire for a room enveloping inferno, or using my telekinesis as a gravity gun, sure you lack the flashy finishing attacks from melee classes (unless you use the bound weapons), but fuck that, I can turn a fancy restauraunt into a tavern brawl, with my mind, and then turn invisible and sneak away without getting a single drop of blood on my robes :D

and if all that fails, I guess you can always become a battlemage

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Ulfric is kind of a dick, but I'm curious to see what will happen if yet another major piece of the empire secedes.

I seriously hope that the next TES game has the empire dissolve and the Thalmor take over everything. Maybe they'd have another "rebel vs. superpower" scenario where you can attempt to overthrow the Thalmor.

That what be kinda cool.

Anyways, I digress, the Empire is pretty much the best choice for Skyrim, but I'm just curious about the Stormcloaks' side of it.

Besides, I'll just go with the Empire on my next playthrough.

MrLlamaLlama

Mar 3, 2011
Muphin_Mann said:
MrLlamaLlama said:
But...

They give you a bitchin' hat which is the top half of a bear's head. In my eyes all is forgiven.
Sided with imperials. Killed a Stormcloak general and stole his hat.
Sided with Stormcloaks. Earned the first hat and pickpocketed the second from Mr. Stone-fist. Now I have 2 bitchin' bear hats :)

It's a shame they don't work on the mannequins :(

pumuckl

Feb 20, 2010
pffh said:
pumuckl said:
Puzzlenaut said:
I only just realised...

What about ghettos? Like say the grey quarter in Windhelm or the fact that Argonians aren't even let into the city.
well in their defense, if a giant walking talking lizard walks into your house, speaking a thick eastern european accent, and begins eyeing your valuables, would you be comfortable?

crap apparently i'm racist towards argonians, i'm just like my father.

aristos_achaion

Dec 30, 2008
Ace of Spades said:
Most people go with the Stormcloaks because the Imperial Legion tries to cut your head off at the beginning of the game. They're supposed to be the bad guys. It might be reasonable that they would assume I'm with the Stormcloaks, but even so, in that situation, I'd do everything in my power to see them burn.
I don't know if the Imperials trying to cut off your head qualifies them as "bad guys"...you start out as a prisoner in the last to TES games, too, and the Imperials were often nice guys.

Jan 27, 2011
aristos_achaion said:
Ace of Spades said:
Most people go with the Stormcloaks because the Imperial Legion tries to cut your head off at the beginning of the game. They're supposed to be the bad guys. It might be reasonable that they would assume I'm with the Stormcloaks, but even so, in that situation, I'd do everything in my power to see them burn.
I don't know if the Imperials trying to cut off your head qualifies them as "bad guys"...you start out as a prisoner in the last to TES games, too, and the Imperials were often nice guys.
Yeah, but you're just a prisoner in previous games, not about to get your head removed.

If you're a prisoner, eh, you can get over being locked up. Eventually.

But if someone tries to murder you "just to be on the safe side" with no trial or defense of any kind, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't take that personally. I know I would

--
Also, coming from someone who is mildly interested in Skyrim (gonna pick it up when the inevitable GOTY version with all the contend and bugfixes comes out), is it possible to complete the game (or the main story, or whatever passes for a main story in these games), without choosing a side? Or can you SWITCH sides partly through it?

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Zetion said:
Someone didn't read the rest of that dossier...

He isn't their sleeper agent, but his rebellion benefits them as long as there isn't a victor.
Yes I didn't say agent. I said puppet.

And which outcome you think Thalmor eventually prefers? Whole Empire? Or Punch of independent kingdoms.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
seraphy said:
Zetion said:
Someone didn't read the rest of that dossier...

He isn't their sleeper agent, but his rebellion benefits them as long as there isn't a victor.
Yes I didn't say agent. I said puppet.

And which outcome you think Thalmor eventually prefers? Whole Empire? Or Punch of independent kingdoms.
actually they also said they don't want a StormCloaks victory if I remember correctly. They just want the war to last as long as it can. Weakening both sides.

Spearface

Nov 24, 2011
Been thinking about who to join for a while and I think I made up my mind. Imperials.

There's a lot of parallels to the US civil war here. On the one side you've got a massive, crumbling union of states (Imperial city was captured, War of 1812) struggling desperately to remain in control of its territory in order to defend against outside (european) influence. While it is brutal and ugly it is the only entity which can uphold the law, and therefore a necessary evil.

On the other you've got a ragtag group of rugged naturalists who are more religious, nationalistic and xenophobic, fighting for their way of life (the south).

Sure the empire may not be "good" or barely even worth fighting for but anyone with any knowledge of geopolitics knows that skyrim will in the end be someones *****, whether it is the elves (who take over after the rebels take over) or the imperials.

Vindictus

Apr 3, 2010
On my second playthrough I promised I would roll with the stormcloaks, but I couldn't justify it. Ulfic is a moron, and Hadvar is just too cool of a dude to kill. The Imperials are in the right on this issue, Ulfric is just being incredibly destructive.