Storytelling experiences - recommendations?

xMisterVx

Apr 29, 2016
Hey there. You guys being a classy bunch as far as communities go, I thought it would be a great place to ask for a specific recommendation...
I've missed the whole indie hype mostly, since I've no interest in platformers and puzzles. However, something that really got me was Banner Saga. Can't believe I've missed that art two years ago, but anyway I got it and finished both parts in two days straight. (I usually play classic RPGs with dialogues and all, that was the appeal this time around... so yeah I've played Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, etc, naturally the Witcher; I know the big names, I'm mostly looking for those that might've slipped under the radar)
Is there anything else out in the last couple years at that level? Story and art matter most, PC only.
If there's a thread or list somewhere that I didn't find, please point me to it.

Jan 19, 2016
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut has a great story, characters, and gameplay, but the visual style is fairly basic, and there is no voice work.

Life is Strange is a great story game with nice, stylised graphics, cool story and characters and a fantastic soundtrack, but it's basically a point-&-click adventure game.

xMisterVx

Apr 29, 2016
Ah yes, Shadowrun I liked, completely forgot about Dragonfall.
The other one sounds intriguing as well.

Zaltys

Apr 26, 2012
The Avernum series might be of interest to you.

Also, maybe check out 80 Days (http://store.steampowered.com/app/381780/). It is steampunk reimagining of Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days. You play as Phileas Fogg's valet, and have to manage the finances and plan the route around the world. More of a collection of small stories, rather than one story.

And obligatory mention of Lieat (http://store.steampowered.com/app/373770/), even though that's possibly not your kind of game.

Jan 19, 2016
xMisterVx said:
Dragonfall is soooooo much better than Shadowrun Returns. Shadowrun: Hong Kong is excellent too (though not as good as Dragonfall). If you liked the first, play the others as they are much improved.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
You didn't specify genre. Are you only after RPGs?

If not, have you played the Telltale games?

They're all story and dialogue. Art is nothing special but does it's job and has a certain charm. However they have bugger all gameplay, being more like animations with dialogue and QTEs, so if that's a dealbreaker then I'd steer clear.

If you're interested the good ones are The Walking Dead (both seasons, although the first is a bit better) and Tales from the Borderlands. The Wolf Among Us is also worth a shot.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
xMisterVx said:
Well, I guess I'll make the obligatory Undertale mention. The less you know, the better, but I would compare it to earthbound. It's very... Interesting.

Telltale games are always good. Kentucky Route Zero has gotten really good reviews. Dark Soul's is really, really sparse on dialogue, so you may not like it, but the story is amazing.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I'm always ready to shill for The Secret World whenever someone is looking for a great story. It certainly has some of the greatest writing in any game, and definitely the best in any MMO ever made. I'll also concede that it isn't for everybody... for some reason I can't grasp since I've been in love with it since 2012. Potayto, potahto.

xMisterVx

Apr 29, 2016
Thanks guys. Lots of good stuff here. 80 Days sounds like my kind of thing, mainly because I'm a sucker for distinctive, polished art styles. (However too many pixels is a turn-off...)

Telltale's stuff I like quite a lot, actually, thanks for the reminder. I thought their GoT was uneven, but good. Heard that I should go for The Wolf Among Us before... might do that now.

Had my eyes on Secret World a while ago... pity it's an MMO, can't play those due to lack of friends who play MMOs.

NinjaTank56

Jan 14, 2015
If you don't mind a game with almost no gameplay, I'd recommend To The Moon. It's not very long, and the little gameplay there is consists of light puzzles and JRPG style talk to everyone to advance, but the story it presents is amazing. You WILL be crying by the end of it, or at the very least tearing up.