Strange argument last night...

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
Ruwrak said:
But... dragons are real...

The komodo dragon :3
*badum-tish*
*Ruwrak raising hand and saying "anyone"*

*I am staring with a bit serious face.. but still responding to the high five smiling a little afterwards*

Viirin

Jul 30, 2011
Other than the insults, I agree with both of you. Wait, you said on facebook... are any of my players there? I have this EXACT scenario as a role play here on the Escapist- it's called Azure Wyrm and I would like more players! I'm actually doing an event on Halloween with it too...

Advertising out of the way.

Anyway, I wouldn't vote on loose dragons of mythical standards (it's possible to make, but would be potentially too dangerous, unless they're unable to breed, and only rich weirdos have them in fireproof habitats and wearing Invisible Fence collars).

If it was simply a cat's body (including claws, plus most dragons are based on cats), but with scales and a spinal fin from an iguana, but intelligent, loyal, trustworthy, and selfless like dogs, it could work and NOT be more dangerous than a dog- which is really just a tame wolf. Then again, the only reason dogs accept us most the time is because we, like them, are pack animals and they can be taught to accept us in their pack and consider us Alpha. If the dragon has non-pack instincts and behaviors, I still wouldn't want even something as simple as this made. Also it should have goat horns.

If I did have that I'd also go the extra mile and have its green color come from chlorophyll so it doesn't need to eat as much as it otherwise would. I'd also make sure it sounded right- crocodile. Screw it I'll also opt for giving it Pack Rat (collect shiny things) and Oyster DNA (pearls) so it could make its own dragon hoard.

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
Oh dear. Have either of you ever gotten laid? Not trying to be offensive, but.. Jesus.
Saddest thing is that even if a stupid person gets laid, that person is still stupid afterwards... Well at least I haven't got any smarter and really, really sadly, that goes for the most :(

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
SpecklePattern said:
similar.squirrel said:
Oh dear. Have either of you ever gotten laid? Not trying to be offensive, but.. Jesus.
Saddest thing is that even if a stupid person gets laid, that person is still stupid afterwards... Well at least I haven't got any smarter and really, really sadly, that goes for the most :(
The topic wasn't stupid per se, just really, really nerdy.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
Well... your friend is quite silly to get pissed over something like that... But! Isn't it worth, millions of dying if we could have fucking DRAGONS in real life?!

In my opinion... Yes!
This, all the way!
Although to be fair, scales aren't really tough steel plates and there is nothing we could do to make it so a creature had steel plated skin because that's a trait that never has and never will occur in nature (mostly because steel is heavily worked and forged with fire) I also don't think the fire breathing aspect could work out very well (I think there's a few a beetles that incorporate things like this so we could use those traits although it would consume an enormous amount of energy to make a difference for something larger than a small bird) and unless it had hollow bones and wings about three times its overall size it wouldn't be able to fly and even then it couldn't fly while carrying someone on its back unless it was the size of an elephant or a whale. In short if we did give all the traits we could that suit a dragon through genetic splicing they wouldn't be anything a shotgun couldn't take care of and they would pretty much be useful only for exhibition and considering we're having a hard enough time allowing genetic engineering for useful things like food I can hardly see something like a dragon being made within the next couple thousand years. Although I do think it would be pretty fucking sweet I gotta say I would pay 100 bucks to go to a zoo with dragons.

I don't think that dragons would be particularly world threatening if we created them, a little worse than bears pretty much, unless for some stupid reason we gave them minds that work like wasps so they would go out of their way to suicide attack everything they come across.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
SpecklePattern said:
Ruwrak said:
But... dragons are real...

The komodo dragon :3
*badum-tish*
*Ruwrak raising hand and saying "anyone"*

*I am staring with a bit serious face.. but still responding to the high five smiling a little afterwards*
YES A PITTY HIGHFIVE!

whooo~
:p

Edd4224

Jul 5, 2011
I agree that your friend seems to have acted a little strangely (deleting from Facebook over an argument? Really???). The idea of having a dragon as a pet is pretty cool, though the realities, as you rightly pointed out, are anything but. If he can see his way through the dragon-pet-coolness fog he will hopefully apologise and life will be fine.

Also completely off-topic, FIRST POST!!!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Princess Rose said:
drumguy818 said:
tl;dr: dragons could be made in the future, I don't find that to be safe, he gets pissed, what do you think?

A genetically engineered dragon wouldn't breathe fire.

Mostly because breathing fire isn't really possible. It could breathe methane, which is flammable, but then it wouldn't be able to survive in an oxygen rich atmosphere.

Besides, there is no currently known genetic code for making a creature fire-proof, which you would need to do first in any case.

Creating a flying lizard creature? Sure. Those are called pterodactyls. Much easier to make, since all we'd need to do is pull a Jurassic Park and dig up some preserved DNA. We could then modify that into something akin to a dragon with some genetic adjustments.

So basically, any created dragons would pretty much just be dinosaurs. Genetic engineering couldn't really take them beyond that.

Remember - what makes Dragons able to do the cool shit they do is MAGIC. And you can't genetically engineer magic.
Bombadier beetles shoot explosive chemical concoctions by dual-chambers and mixing at the last possible second. A similar thing could be done to a dragon.

But that's just silly. Even if, at this theoretical point that's really really far away, we could make dragons, why would we ever want to, beyond giving the middle finger to Mother Nature?

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
SpecklePattern said:
similar.squirrel said:
The topic wasn't stupid per se, just really, really nerdy.
Well I think that our OP showed a smart answer about the morals of human kind at these times. Filling in a dragon in conversation does not mean that they are dreaming of being dragons or that they are playing dungeons and dragons every day and imagining theirself as a dragons or what ever (which would be my line for really, really nerdy). I don't see the 'really, really nerdy' part on this topic. But perhaps thats because I am a nerd :) ... Even though I don't even know anymore the boundary between nerd and non-nerd in these days...

Viirin

Jul 30, 2011
Princess Rose said:
drumguy818 said:
tl;dr: dragons could be made in the future, I don't find that to be safe, he gets pissed, what do you think?

A genetically engineered dragon wouldn't breathe fire.

Mostly because breathing fire isn't really possible. It could breathe methane, which is flammable, but then it wouldn't be able to survive in an oxygen rich atmosphere.

Besides, there is no currently known genetic code for making a creature fire-proof, which you would need to do first in any case.

Creating a flying lizard creature? Sure. Those are called pterodactyls. Much easier to make, since all we'd need to do is pull a Jurassic Park and dig up some preserved DNA. We could then modify that into something akin to a dragon with some genetic adjustments.

So basically, any created dragons would pretty much just be dinosaurs. Genetic engineering couldn't really take them beyond that.

Remember - what makes Dragons able to do the cool shit they do is MAGIC. And you can't genetically engineer magic.
Yay! Thank you for saying all that. It was the excuse I needed. Here we go!

Fire breath not possible- Maybe it could. Have you seen The Flight of Dragons [http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhix5u_the-flight-of-dragons-part-1_shortfilms]? It explains dragon flight and dragon fire in that movie scientifically. In real world, it still wouldn't work that way (probably). But if you put in Hagfish [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish] DNA, and made its slime projectile (lots of species have projectile chemical attacks or just spit) and modified it so it would be flammable, and also gave the dragon Electric Eel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_eel] DNA so it had an ignition source... It would be easier to just give it an implanted tank and flamethrower nozel outside its mouth and have a remote control for it.

Not possible for something to be fireproof- doesn't have to be. Behold, the Bombardier Beetle [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle]. If the chemicals within its body touched, they'd explode. So, the species instead shoots the two chemicals out at the same time, and they touch in midair, away from the animal, so it explodes in the enemy's face, where the bug doesn't get hurt at all.

Preserved Dino DNA- they've been trying to collect DNA from fossils, and they HAVE found the same chemicals cells are made of, but no actual cells. Can't find DNA. But if we find a dino in another iceberg... (Sorry too lazy to look for a link on National Geographic's site, but you can find a video on it on Netflix)

Can't genetically engineer magic- No, you can't, but you can combine various things for lightning (liquid spray such as the Archerfish [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archerfish] combined with Electric Eel so it shoots electrified water, though no not lightning) fire (as stated above), and a few other things. That you got me on.

... be back in a few after I figure out what to write in my RP. This is so the exact idea... OP, you so win my friendship. Adding now.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
... stupid for "not understanding how cool it would be to have a pet dragon".
... riiight. Either you seriously misquoted this guy or he's the single most childish person on Facebook. He sounds like he's about nine years old, from that.

I'm not sure what kind of dragons he's talking about, but if they're anything close to what I understand a dragon to be, owning a `pet dragon' would be like owning a cross between a tiger and a fighter jet. I'm not entirely positive about this, but I would assume that if this kind of thing was open to the general underage public, it would lead to most probably some deaths. So I don't think you can really rate how `cool' it would be ...

And you're not being pessimistic or Glenn Beck-y and you certainly don't need a lobotomy, you're just exploring possibilities and aspects of the conversation that he hadn't thought about. That's the entire point of having a conversation. If you limit your conversation about `what if they could genetically engineer dragons' to `THAT WOULD BE SO COOL' over and over until my ears bleed, you've got a pretty worthless conversation don't you?

So basically your friend is kind of an idiot and it's probably best that he deleted you.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
arguing over something on Facebook.
Then it wasn't a serious argument and it wasn't an actual friend.

There is a saying, which I dislike using on this site due to all the bloody bleeding heart do gooders here, however it needs to be said.

Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics, it doesn't matter who wins your still retarded.

It's Facebook, it's meaningless. A debate or argument on something like that is only seen as important by the young or overly emotional.

I just find it incredibly difficult to find an argument over Facebook seriously.

If it's an actual friend as in one you see on a regular basis then phone him up, call him a muppet, and sort it out.

If it's a "friend" as in some bugger you have never met and never will meet thats latched onto your Facebook randomly then sod it, who gives a shit.

Either way, you both need to grow a pair. That is not an argument. Falling out over imaginary dragons on bloody Facebook .... should bang your bloody heads together.

Off Topic

Jun 26, 2011
Maybe you just gave him an excuse to de-friend you. Saying that, because it seems like the most idiotic break-up argument..well, not ever, but pretty damn idiotic, you must admit. But I can sympathize, cause I've lost a good friend in a similar fashion aswell..

protip: People rarely change themselves. If he's an idiot, then try and find better friends to replace him.

...or become a mad scientist, make a big-ass, fire-breathing, flesh-eating, cutesy-wutesy dragon and prove your point. ;)

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Dragons as we know them just don't function is our current biological understanding. You just don't see 2 sets of shoulders stacked directly on top of each other. Things don't fit and work. You would have to engineer something "dragon-like" and I just don't see them making something of the size and scale that we associate with dragons. Really think you are taking this way too seriously.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I think he deleted you because you can't seem to take a joke...
He's there like, "lolz Dragonz r gonz be cool for a pet" and you piss all over his parade with yer fancy mathematics. It seemed to me like he seriously didn't believe that, or maybe he thinks "Dragon? Like, uh, Charizard? Awesome!"
Sounds like a stupid thing I'd say to be honest. Not mean anything by it, but just say it as a laugh.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
First of all: walls of text like that are really annoying and difficult to read. Use som space, it's not like you are going to run out of it.

On topic:
It's facebook

The only time you argue like that is A) if you are in a serious argument about serious stuff or B) if you are trolling.

Some things are not to be taken too seriously, like the possibility of geneticly create dragons. I'ts a cool idea and there is no reason to argue like you did unless you wanted him to delete you.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
I think you should link him to this
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253556/
And then watch any documentary about predators as there is no way you could domesticate something like this.

The first thing the dragon would do is kill its trainers captors or what ever you want to call the people who test it for war or as pets and fly off.
Also ask him if he would keep a tiger as a pet no imagine a flying tiger that breathes fire.

Also kinda on topic I had a pet dragon in lineage 2 I called him pillow :)

GoldenFish

Jun 10, 2011
If "evil" scientists in the future could make whatever dragon someone else made into a killing machine then why don't those "evil" scientists just make a thing designed to kill people. Your logic is silly. Unless people had never thought of making killing monsters until someone created a dragon which seems weird.Your friend isn't being too positive. He just said they could make dragon which they might however you had to make it into a serious debate.