Strange food habits

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
And despite how much I actually drink (averaging a bottle or two of wine each day) ... most of the stuff I drink averages out to about 6-7 dollars per bottle.
If my math is correct, that's 450 dollars (Aus) a month! Just for beverages. Which comes to 3000 kronor (Swe).
I spend a third of that, 1000 kronor, for my ENTIRE food and drinks purchases per month. Month and a half really.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
If my math is correct, that's 450 dollars (Aus) a month! Just for beverages. Which comes to 3000 kronor (Swe).
I spend a third of that, 1000 kronor, for my ENTIRE food and drinks purchases per month. Month and a half really.
Yeah, but I don't know how Swedish taxes are on alcohol, that's merely the equivalent of 9 x 1L bottles of Red Label Smirnoff here.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Yeah, but I don't know how Swedish taxes are on alcohol, that's merely the equivalent of 9 x 1L bottles of Red Label Smirnoff here.
I don't drink personally, so I'm not quite sure. Though I can give you lots of numbers.
1 bottle of 700ml Smirnoff costs 229:- kronor.

Though different alco-beverages have different taxes;
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsv.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAlkoholskatt

I should probably also mention that our 25% VAT tax probably apply as well.
Unless it's 12%, though that might just be for bars and restaurants.
And that VAT is applied after the regular tax of 33%.
well, 20% to the government and 10-15% depending on county.
Oh, but you also get 1kr or 5kr back from recycling the bottle/can.

Numbers man. So convoluted and exhausting. Sorry.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I will not (knowingly) eat any flesh from members of the carnivora order, reptiles, or insects. I also won't eat shark.

There is no scientific reason for any of this- it's just how I feel. Bugs, while they are awesome, are simultaneously... gross. And rattlesnakes, crocodiles, bears, tigers and sharks are waay too cool to be eaten by losers like us.

EDIT: and amphibians. No amphibians.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I don't drink personally, so I'm not quite sure. Though I can give you lots of numbers.
1 bottle of 700ml Smirnoff costs 229:- kronor.

Though different alco-beverages have different taxes;
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsv.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAlkoholskatt

I should probably also mention that our 25% VAT tax probably apply as well.
Unless it's 12%, though that might just be for bars and restaurants.
And that VAT is applied after the regular tax of 33%.
well, 20% to the government and 10-15% depending on county.
Oh, but you also get 1kr or 5kr back from recycling the bottle/can.

Numbers man. So convoluted and exhausting. Sorry.
Oh, well ... 700ml bottle of Smirnoff standard (Red Label) is 33.58 here from a popular bottle-o retailer. So that's about 220 SEK.

So comparable taxation on spirits at least, and comparable RRP rate and retailer margins it seems. And I do believe that Australia imports the distilled Smirnoff standard vodka via British Diageo licence. And I can't imagine the shipping costs would be higher for Sweden wherever it sources its Smirnoff from.

Okay, maybe I have a problem...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Saelune said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I'm a picky eater. Very picky. Don't eat most any vegetables/jams/marmalade/soups, and more (much more).
I go through phases where I eat almost exclusively one meal (or slight variation of) during a variable period.
I'm left-handed but uses fork in left hand and knife in right hand.
I try to avoid drinking from the same place on the glass/mug if I can.
Also a super picky eater, I hate it, I wish I could just order whatever and enjoy it.

I also eat basically the same thing all the time. And whenever I go out to eat, it is always the same thing, to the point where I just have it memorized exactly how I order it (mostly cause of all the weird mistakes that have happened over the years)

I just use my hands whenever I can, I never eat anything that requires both hands use utensils, and it is hard to wrap my head around that.

Me too! Though it depends more on the drink and how obvious it is I drank from a spot, but even a glass of water, I try to avoid the same spot.
It would be nice to be able to eat properly at dinner invitations or any place really.
Being a picky eater..or Super Taster maybe ,) ..can be really inconvenient sometimes.

And after you've gotten your fill of that particular product, you have to wait quite a while until you feel like eating it again, right?
Right now, I'm eating fried eggs on toasted sourdough bread for breakfast/lunch and hamburgers with mustard and American dressing between toasted sourdough bread for dinner.
before that it was meatballs and mustard rolled into a soft flat-bread. Don't feel like eating that again anytime soon.
I too have got my standard menu orders already prepared and used in rote.
Cheeseburger, without greens. (Hold the cucumber,tomato and salad)
Vesuvio Pizza, no pizza salad.
Kebab with rice, no (red)tomato sauce only (garlic)white sauce.
Etc.

Huh, mostly just hands. Really? Couldn't that get quite messy?
Do you use bread or something to mop up liquids or to place fiddly items on?

Indeed, same. Which liquid it is does matter when it comes to amount of turnings required. ^^
It just looks so unappetizing when you can see "dregs" and such where you are supposed to put your mouth.
The one exception being coca-cola cans. Which I wipe after each use if it's noticeable.
One could also mark it down to a form of bacillophobia. I would never share with anyone else.
Not utensils, nor drinking item or eating someones left-over.
I dunno, if it were up to me, I would just alternate having pizza and hamburgers every night, but then I would be super fat and dead by 30.

Yes it is messy. First time I ever went on a date to a restaurant I had to be like "uh....I really hope you dont mind that I eat this with my hands". Seriously though, going to dinner on a date is just a million nightmares for me, since I am a picky eater, a weird eater, and dont drink alchohol...

I do make sure to wash my hands thuroughly immediatly before and after eating.

I have moved on to using straws for most drinks these days, though I do occasionally have to get new ones if I am eating certain foods.

Sharing drinks (and food) is disgusting to me. Unfortunately, both my mother and grandmother are 'just a bite/sippers'. Eventually they noticed I stopped drinking and eating whatever it was and backed off.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Saelune said:
<spoiler=Quote Pyramid>
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Saelune said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I'm a picky eater. Very picky. Don't eat most any vegetables/jams/marmalade/soups, and more (much more).
I go through phases where I eat almost exclusively one meal (or slight variation of) during a variable period.
I'm left-handed but uses fork in left hand and knife in right hand.
I try to avoid drinking from the same place on the glass/mug if I can.
Also a super picky eater, I hate it, I wish I could just order whatever and enjoy it.

I also eat basically the same thing all the time. And whenever I go out to eat, it is always the same thing, to the point where I just have it memorized exactly how I order it (mostly cause of all the weird mistakes that have happened over the years)

I just use my hands whenever I can, I never eat anything that requires both hands use utensils, and it is hard to wrap my head around that.

Me too! Though it depends more on the drink and how obvious it is I drank from a spot, but even a glass of water, I try to avoid the same spot.
It would be nice to be able to eat properly at dinner invitations or any place really.
Being a picky eater..or Super Taster maybe ,) ..can be really inconvenient sometimes.

And after you've gotten your fill of that particular product, you have to wait quite a while until you feel like eating it again, right?
Right now, I'm eating fried eggs on toasted sourdough bread for breakfast/lunch and hamburgers with mustard and American dressing between toasted sourdough bread for dinner.
before that it was meatballs and mustard rolled into a soft flat-bread. Don't feel like eating that again anytime soon.
I too have got my standard menu orders already prepared and used in rote.
Cheeseburger, without greens. (Hold the cucumber,tomato and salad)
Vesuvio Pizza, no pizza salad.
Kebab with rice, no (red)tomato sauce only (garlic)white sauce.
Etc.

Huh, mostly just hands. Really? Couldn't that get quite messy?
Do you use bread or something to mop up liquids or to place fiddly items on?

Indeed, same. Which liquid it is does matter when it comes to amount of turnings required. ^^
It just looks so unappetizing when you can see "dregs" and such where you are supposed to put your mouth.
The one exception being coca-cola cans. Which I wipe after each use if it's noticeable.
One could also mark it down to a form of bacillophobia. I would never share with anyone else.
Not utensils, nor drinking item or eating someones left-over.
I dunno, if it were up to me, I would just alternate having pizza and hamburgers every night, but then I would be super fat and dead by 30.

Yes it is messy. First time I ever went on a date to a restaurant I had to be like "uh....I really hope you dont mind that I eat this with my hands". Seriously though, going to dinner on a date is just a million nightmares for me, since I am a picky eater, a weird eater, and dont drink alchohol...

I do make sure to wash my hands thuroughly immediatly before and after eating.

I have moved on to using straws for most drinks these days, though I do occasionally have to get new ones if I am eating certain foods.

Sharing drinks (and food) is disgusting to me. Unfortunately, both my mother and grandmother are 'just a bite/sippers'. Eventually they noticed I stopped drinking and eating whatever it was and backed off.
I tried living on pizzas and hamburgers for a year. gained 10 kilos. Almost worth it. Almost.
I also "tried" starving for a year or so. Lost 10 kilos.
My usual weight is around 75.

I almost envy your situation. I've never been on a date.
Though I can imagine that both are different kinds of awkward and tough.
I don't drink either. The others also apply to me. heh.

I'm undecided on straws. They can be worse..or better.

My mother and sister was the same. Now they only accept my discarded vegetables or leftovers.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I tried living on pizzas and hamburgers for a year. gained 10 kilos. Almost worth it. Almost.
Did you get a bloodtest over the year? Because all that cheese and cheap ground beef must have done a number on your cholesterol...

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Did you get a bloodtest over the year? Because all that cheese and cheap ground beef must have done a number on your cholesterol...
I've never done a bloodtest. I don't like needles in me. Really don't like 'em.
I suppose they might have sneaked one in during my two surgeries, but I was always put under.
Though it would be interesting to see the results. I've often wanted to do a whole body health check.
I think it would be a good thing do to that periodically every year.

I also drink 1,5-2 liters of coca cola a day. Have for 18 years now.
Also used snus for the same amount of time.
Eat some candy/snacks/etc everyday. Not excessively though.

Feb 7, 2016
I used to eat burgers by picking them apart.

Eat top bun. Then pickles. Then onions. Tomato. Beef patty with cheese. Then bottom bun.

I think I remember doing this because I was quite a hungry child, and i'm sorry, but no one on earth can feel satisfied from one of those dollar menu burgers. So I guess I tried to trick myself and my body into thinking I was eating more by picking it apart and eating it slowly.

I don't do that anymore though, mostly considering I can buy my own damn burgers and get a decent sized one, preferably not one from a fast food place.

Also when I was young, I'd have my grandma cut sandwiches into tiny squares. Not like, four, or six, but as many tiny squares as she can. Can't remember how far she got. I can't believe she put up with the demand. I would have kicked my own ass. But I guess there was just something appealing about it, and it made the food better to me rather than just chomping into a whole sandwich.

I also use Ranch Dressing for...arguably way too much. Pizza, chicken, veges, sure. But I also like using it for breaded products, like Hot Pockets, Pizza Rolls, burritos, taquitos, mini tacos, eggrolls, call it a symptom of when my step father went to jail and my mom didn't cook as much so we had to eat a lot of microwaved products. I guess ranch just added more flavor and I became hooked on it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Because of my autism I have always been sensitive to certain textures and sensations and food is no exception. I cannot eat any cooked vegetables outside of potatoes and tend to eat really plain food. That does not mean that it cannot be tastey, only not complex on the texture part. This causes me to pick through my food alot when I eat at someone's house as I try to avoid making myself sick from accidentally munching on a cooked vegetable that has no Goddamn Right to somehow be both crunchy, soft, and slimy at the same damn time!!! It is the same damn thing with mashed fruits and pies. It can taste great but if the textures is off then it can make me feel ill or physically revolted.

Being a powerlifter I need my veggies so I eat them all raw and am perfectly fine with that.

Feb 7, 2016
Saulkar said:
Because of my autism I have always been sensitive to certain textures and sensations and food is no exception. I cannot eat any cooked vegetables outside of potatoes and tend to eat really plain food. That does not mean that it cannot be tastey, only not complex on the texture part. This causes me to pick through my food alot when I eat at someone's house as I try to avoid making myself sick from accidentally munching on a cooked vegetable that has no Goddamn Right to somehow be both crunchy, soft, and slimy at the same damn time!!! It is the same damn thing with mashed fruits and pies. It can taste great but if the textures is off then it can make me feel ill or physically revolted.

Being a powerlifter I need my veggies so I eat them all raw and am perfectly fine with that.
Cooked vegetables really aren't appealing. Their flavor changes for the worst, I think, and I'm with you on the texture. Especially carrots. I despise cooked carrots, but love cold carrots.

Probably the only exceptions to me are, as you've said, potatoes, and maybe broccoli with cheese.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I like eating straight out of the fridge. Like, just cold un-microwaved food. I don't know if I genuinely like the taste or that's just how lazy I am.

Also if I'm eating fish and I feel a bone I automatically spit everything out. I had a fish bone stuck in my throat once as a small child and ever since I have a gag reflex once I think there might be one in my mouth. This is also why generally I fucking hate fish.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
I have tonnes I will just eat coffee beans even really dark roasts, not recommended for most but try adding it add it to trail mix. I will make bitters and tinctures from all sorts of odd spices and while I do use them in cocktails it is amazing what they can lend to rice dishes and almost any sauce, you make them by dropping whatever you want the flavor of in a jar with high proof vodka for 5+ days, oddest ingredients are likely Lavender, Bacon, and Dandylions.

I will also just eat Cloves along with adding Rose and Orange Flour water to my water wherever I smell pleasant. I was also by far the heaviest drinker I know polishing off two handles of vodka (3.5 letters a massive 118 drinks) over 6 days. This means I was averaging two drinks every hour I was not at work, not a fun way to live but that is all well in the past now.