Strange gaming compulsions

poleboy

May 19, 2008
This is a thread about strange rituals or compulsions you have in relation to video games.

For instance, when I play an RPG, I can sometimes spend hours in character creation, especially thinking up the perfect name. Sometimes I'll delete a character I've spent hours, even days playing, because I suddenly decided he had the wrong shade of moustache or his name was missing an e at the end or something. I will then create the almost identical twin of that character with the small flaw fixed and start all over again.

Oh yeah, and keep it clean please. Strange rituals, not M-rated or disturbing.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I always make sure that my controller feels right. I have to "break" new ones in. Like, for my birthday yesterday I got a red xbox controller and it feels a little strange, so I'll make it my primary and break it in with a few sessions of Halo, BioShock and Mirror's Edge. Maybe throw in some HL2 and Portal.

Know what I mean?

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I have that RPG one, too.

I also have that one Yatzee described, the "but I might need it later" one.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
poleboy said:
This is a thread about strange rituals or compulsions you have in relation to video games.

For instance, when I play an RPG, I can sometimes spend hours in character creation, especially thinking up the perfect name. Sometimes I'll delete a character I've spent hours, even days playing, because I suddenly decided he had the wrong shade of moustache or his name was missing an e at the end or something. I will then create the almost identical twin of that character with the small flaw fixed and start all over again.

Oh yeah, and keep it clean please. Strange rituals, not M-rated or disturbing.
I do this exact same thing. I spent 15 hours on 4 files in Mass Effect until I thought that his cheekbones weren't jagged.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
I have that one, too.

Threepwood syndrome? (steal everything that isn't nailed down and stuff it in your pants)

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
I keep following the beggars and elves in oblivion for about 3 days then kill them. I carry the nightshade flower so the night mother will be pleased.

Praise Sithis.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
poleboy said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
I have that one, too.

Threepwood syndrome? (steal everything that isn't nailed down and stuff it in your pants)
No, the one I said, from his Mercenaries review, I think it was.
But yeah, that one too.

kapzer

Nov 26, 2008
I spend ages thinking of a name where I can't just put in Kapzer. Oh and I seem to have an obsession with headshots and knife kills - i think yelling "stabby stabby" over a mic is quite funny when you're knifing a friend. - ah, battlefield 2 memories.

Preslor

Aug 27, 2008
Oh I have the "but I might need it later" and the OP's RPG habit bad... and usually the two fall hand in hand. There have been some RPGs I've played through that I have enough health potions at the end of the game to open my own warehouse, because I kept stockpiling them on me, but never using, just in case I had a dire situation where things went awry, and I needed them to bail me out. The same thing for special powers, and more often than not, that situation doesn't occur.

That is assuming I can even get into the game... because I'm pretty sure I too can spend at least 10-20 minutes on choosing a proper name if I cant use Preslor, or I've used that already. The looks to my character are a bit easier to come by, but that still takes a fair amount of time too... I'm just weird like that.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Starting a game to get a feel for the mechanics for a few hours an starting over again.

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
I have the "grass is greener" syndrome where I will keep switching sides or classes. I also have the "but I might need it later" problem (especially regarding the Fat Man in Fallout 3.)

MSORPG pl4y3r

Aug 7, 2008
I dont normaly like unnecesry gore but in a game I almost always go for the goriest kill I'm quite sure most ppl do so too. I always play my games in the dark and with headphones on, if you dont mind a little tension in your ears those things are better than soround sound, on XBL I am an obsesive compulseve teabager especaly when its my friends I'm teabaging.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Onmi said:
Two things.

I think we all did the first in Pokemon, Mashing a button hoping that it's affecting the capture rate some how.

The second is odd, for some reason I can't release Pokemon I know their just data it's WEIRD.
Yeah, that was really odd. Why did we do that?

MSORPG pl4y3r

Aug 7, 2008
Onmi said:
Two things.

I think we all did the first in Pokemon, Mashing a button hoping that it's affecting the capture rate some how.

The second is odd, for some reason I can't release Pokemon I know their just data it's WEIRD.
I know how you feel, I started gold version all over again cause I acceisentaly released my bayleaf. I remember one time my brother was crying I dident give back his groudon, till I'd gotten past a bit I needed it for.

Fightbulb

May 14, 2008
Onmi said:
Two things.

Am I the only one who pressed down and B when throwing a pokeball? Like, fucking always. I probably still would.

When I'm playing an online FPS, I reload too much. Sometimes I get away with it (like in TF2), but a lot of times it gets me shot down (in COD4 mainly). I also check the ammo of weapons I haven't used yet, just to be safe. Also because it feels awesome.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
I replay games. I have a tendency to try and do something in a flashy manner, and I save every 5 minutes or so where I can. Blame Oblivion for PC, and a crashy computer.

Magical Hans

Dec 10, 2008
needausername said:
I say "ow" when I get shot in FPS's
And make zombie sounds if i'm infected.
I growl vikingly into my mic for about 5 minutes then get tired and shut up for the rest of my session.