Strange Love

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
MovieBob said:
Strange Love

Dreading Valentine's Day? Maybe MovieBob can help.

Read Full Article
Hehe I remember watching Possession with my GF last year. All I can say for it is one thing, Tentacles.

Harry Slaughter

Feb 11, 2010
if someone ever makes me watch King Kong Lives again I will blind myself by stapling my eyelids open and letting my eyes dry into dust.

Harry Slaughter

Feb 11, 2010
Oh, and I feel like I have to mention this...

Shaun of the Dead was "A Romantic Comedy...With Zombies". It's a valentines tradition for me and my girlfriend

Apr 28, 2008
Good list, although now I'm curious about Possession. Well, I'm going in, wish me luck.

Captain Pancake said:
No Princess Bride? tsk tsk, MovieBob, that romance was very comedic.

"Life isn't fair, princess. Anybody who tells you different is selling something."
Now there's a movie I haven't seen in a while.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Harry Slaughter said:
Oh, and I feel like I have to mention this...

Shaun of the Dead was "A Romantic Comedy...With Zombies". It's a valentines tradition for me and my girlfriend
yes, yes a thousand times yes! especially (not much of a spoiler but will do so anyway)

Dermot Monaghan getting his guts ripped out. Really do not like that guy (sorry Furburt and your old avatar)

no mention of last tango in paris.........?

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Captain Pancake said:

"Life isn't fair, princess. Anybody who tells you different is selling something."
solidstatemind said:
Natural Born Killers?!? Really?!?

That movie is a steaming pile of shit
The best Valentine's Day film to watch with your GF that is brutal and sick and twisted, but will still make her heart melt?

TRUE ROMANCE.

As a bonus, it has Brad Pitt in his finest role ever.

That is all.
You two have suggested some of the best romantic movies made. Interestingly I have to disagree on Natural Born Killers, I very much enjoyed it.

To the list I would add 'A Life Less Ordinary'

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
If you REALLY want to come across as deep and sensitive while still watching a movie that can be called "art" with a straight face, sit down with your GF and watch The Place Promised in our Early Days.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
THIS is precisely why I love Intermission. I've only heard of 3 of these movies (Kong, May, Killers) and only seen one (Killers). I'll add the rest to my ever-growing list of movies I need to see before I die and I'll love every second of them. Thanks Bob!

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that I've seen Possession. I dated this girl for a while who was a formidable film geek in her own right, and we had a habit of raiding Kim's Video in Manhattan and just looking for stuff that was out there to check out we'd never heard of. This was one of those nights.

Yeah. I. Years later, I still have no words.

Except possibly to say..."Huh. I've dated women like that before."

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Natural Born Killers?!? Really?!?

That movie is a steaming pile of shit: as I watched it, I realized immediately that any irony and/or wit was entirely incidental. It was 2 hours of Oliver Stone screaming at the top of his lungs "OMGZ! I MAKE PROFOUND MOVIE ABOUT HOW MEDIA CREATES ULTRAVIOLENTZ!"

No, no, no.

A thousand times no.

The best Valentine's Day film to watch with your GF that is brutal and sick and twisted, but will still make her heart melt?

TRUE ROMANCE.

As a bonus, it has Brad Pitt in his finest role ever.

That is all.

Edit: I may have to check out May, however. So thanks for that recommendation, anyway.
BAH! Ninja'd!

Yup, True Romance should have been on the list. Replacing Natural Born Killers.

Although I'd say Brad Pitt was better in Twelve Monkeys.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Chipperz said:
BAH! Ninja'd!

Yup, True Romance should have been on the list. Replacing Natural Born Killers.

Although I'd say Brad Pitt was better in Twelve Monkeys.
Hmmm... I admit, you might be on to something there...

Still, I'll never forget Floyd mumbling "...don't condencend to me man... I'll fuckin' kill ya" after the mob guys left...

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
:( I'd disagree with the comment about romance being un-funny. (And that golden age comedies were only euphemistic sex comedies)

Take Fred Astair, Most of his movies were about romance, and they actually had quite tragic and sobering scenarios when you think about it, but it still approaches it with a comedic tone.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Geoffrey42 said:
For whatever reason, I feel the need to recommend [a href=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/]Secretary (2002)[/a] as a fantastic Valentine's Day film.
That movie is awesome for springing on unsuspecting friends and family when your feeling sadistic, just tell them it's a romantic comedy and wait for the leg crossing moments.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
I love that movie as a comedy and an action-adventure. But I despise it as a romance. Buttercup is such a vapid, useless twit. The only reason I could think Wesley loved her was because she's the only female character in the film who isn't a wrinkled septuagenarian hag.

So, maybe it is perfect for Valentine's Day!

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
The title was lying to me, I was hoping to see the real "Strange Love" or more accurately, "Doctor Strange Love: How I Came to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb," though I knew it likely wouldn't deal with said movie