Strange women 'possessed' while assaulting man on Edmonton train

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
I don't know exactly how the justice system works in Canada, but in the U.S., there are likely very few areas where he could get away with a self defense plea, self-defense pretty much flys out the window when she turned her back to him and walked away, anything after that point is assault on his part, the police not knowing the situation likely took down the one they viewed as most physically threatening, which is almost always the male. Police are generally trained in the escalation of force and in most cases, a woman is not physically threatening enough to the average male police officer to warrant the physical restraint that gets employed against male suspects. Is it fair? No, but then again, cops know that tackling and tasering a 100 pound woman is going to be a lot harder to justify than the 200 pound man.

In the case of the man himself, in the U.S., whether someone would be charged in a situation like this is probably going to be up to the judge, in the cases I've seen, the judge can and will throw the charges out if he thinks the situation was heated enough and no lasting damage happens. In most cases, even if someone is charged, it's generally little more than some community service or a fine, a full battery charge is rare, it could just be an assault charge, or something else, but most judges will take extenuating circumstances into account, and I've never seen a similar case result in any real jailtime or serious consequences for the person that struck back. The law would consider the man in the wrong, but it's doubtful that he would face the same consequences as if he had attacked first.

If he had beaten her more severely, then yes, a full charge would likely result, potentially being worse than the charge against the woman, you generally receive leniency if you were attacked first, but it depends on how far you escalate after the initial attack. A judge will quickly lose their pity if you try and justify breaking someones bones after they hit you once and back off, there's a definite limit to how far the law will bend in cases of taking self-defense too far.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
briankoontz said:
II2 said:
You'll be working against yourself to try and think logically about things, if you're attacked, since adrenalin and stress responses will distort your state of mind and perception of time, but generally things shake out better if you aim for that principle, where possible. (legally and otherwise)
Part of being a good person is to ensure one is in a good frame of mind at all times, so that if a stressful event occurs one responds in the best possible way. To make excuses for a bad response to a difficult situation based on "adrenalin and stress" is just that - an excuse, not a reason.

It's called "being prepared". In life anything can happen at any time.
I...
- Was advocating fighting against deconstructive emotional impulse.
- Did not say it was an excuse.
- Do not think you followed my post to the correct conclusion.
- Do not think your sarcasm is of use.
- Am not talking about what makes a good person.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
lacktheknack said:
SPEAK. FOR. YOURSELF.

I have BEEN attacked. I have HAD the panicked thoughts. I've had the fight-or-flight trigger. My reaction was flight. That's what all reaction SHOULD be in a modern context. The trains are not "compact". The trains were not full. I have personally sprinted down those isles myself. The train was pulling up to a station, the doors were about to open (as shown by the woman trying to leave and the ticket-cops arriving instantly). There was no excusable reason not to channel his adrenaline into flight instead of fight.
You do realise this is exactly why they call it fight OR flight?
Just because you had one reaction don't expect everybody else to have the same. I mean if they did it'd just be called the flight response.