Stray - Meh-ow

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Stray is better known as "the cat game". A game that was showcased at a Sony State of Play and left people confused because it just showed a cat walking around a cyberpunk-ish world filled with robot people, and not much else.

Now the game is out on Playstation and Steam and it's....well you play a cat. Just a cat. Not a talking cat, not a cat with super powers of any kind, a literal house cat. As a result the game plays a lot like it looked in that original trailer, you walk around, jump on stuff, and general do cat-type things.

Essentially you are a cat in a post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk type world living with your homies when an accident has you fall into a city behind the sewers. You are stranded and alone suddenly in what appears to be an abandoned city. As you explore a little you're first encounter with anything in the game is actually headcrabs from Half-life, little alien fuckers that chase you into a safe part of this underground city. Here you'll meet the robot people living out their lives much the same way people would. They run bars, laundrymats, make clothing, play guitar in the street, etc. There is an aura of oppression to what they do as well as an aura of futility as it seems like they are going through human-like motions out of habit rather than any kind of need. It's an interesting set up.

As the cat, you will walk around, jump onto things, solve some minor puzzles, and escape the headcrabs throughout the game. The first puzzle segment is you downloading consciousness into a small robot companion who serves as the voice for both the cat and the player. This robot is how you interact with NPC's, get quests, gather items, etc. Ultimately Stray plays like a point and click adventure with free-roam to it. You see, there is no jump button in the game, despite you having to jump onto things for puzzles jumpping is only possible at specific points throughout the world and done automatically. Apparently the devs didn't want the awkward movement of a cat to frustrate players by them missing a jump do to strange positioning or whatever. So you can't miss jumps.

That's about all there is to it. OF course there are some nice little cat things you can do like nuzzle the robot people's legs (which they react adorably to), scratch up couches and carpets, and there is a button dedicated to meowing. But ultimately you are a cat and that limits where the game can go and what it can have you do. There is no combat, but there is a little bit of stealth.

That being said, the game doesn't outstay it's welcome as it's only about 3-4 hours long or much less if you b-line through the missions. At the end of the game I felt disappointed that there wasn't more to it. I mean I'm just a fucking cat so what could they realistically do? But still it feels like a little novelty game with a pretty world but the plot is predictable from the moment you see the headcrabs so I didn't find the story all that satisfying.

Thankfully the game is free on PS+ because otherwise it is NOT worth $30 bucks imo, unless you REALLY REALLY like cats and are okay with a point and click adventure that's very short and not super replayable.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Stray is better known as "the cat game". A game that was showcased at a Sony State of Play and left people confused because it just showed a cat walking around a cyberpunk-ish world filled with robot people, and not much else.

Now the game is out on Playstation and Steam and it's....well you play a cat. Just a cat. Not a talking cat, not a cat with super powers of any kind, a literal house cat. As a result the game plays a lot like it looked in that original trailer, you walk around, jump on stuff, and general do cat-type things.

Essentially you are a cat in a post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk type world living with your homies when an accident has you fall into a city behind the sewers. You are stranded and alone suddenly in what appears to be an abandoned city. As you explore a little you're first encounter with anything in the game is actually headcrabs from Half-life, little alien fuckers that chase you into a safe part of this underground city. Here you'll meet the robot people living out their lives much the same way people would. They run bars, laundrymats, make clothing, play guitar in the street, etc. There is an aura of oppression to what they do as well as an aura of futility as it seems like they are going through human-like motions out of habit rather than any kind of need. It's an interesting set up.

As the cat, you will walk around, jump onto things, solve some minor puzzles, and escape the headcrabs throughout the game. The first puzzle segment is you downloading consciousness into a small robot companion who serves as the voice for both the cat and the player. This robot is how you interact with NPC's, get quests, gather items, etc. Ultimately Stray plays like a point and click adventure with free-roam to it. You see, there is no jump button in the game, despite you having to jump onto things for puzzles jumpping is only possible at specific points throughout the world and done automatically. Apparently the devs didn't want the awkward movement of a cat to frustrate players by them missing a jump do to strange positioning or whatever. So you can't miss jumps.

That's about all there is to it. OF course there are some nice little cat things you can do like nuzzle the robot people's legs (which they react adorably to), scratch up couches and carpets, and there is a button dedicated to meowing. But ultimately you are a cat and that limits where the game can go and what it can have you do. There is no combat, but there is a little bit of stealth.

That being said, the game doesn't outstay it's welcome as it's only about 3-4 hours long or much less if you b-line through the missions. At the end of the game I felt disappointed that there wasn't more to it. I mean I'm just a fucking cat so what could they realistically do? But still it feels like a little novelty game with a pretty world but the plot is predictable from the moment you see the headcrabs so I didn't find the story all that satisfying.

Thankfully the game is free on PS+ because otherwise it is NOT worth $30 bucks imo, unless you REALLY REALLY like cats and are okay with a point and click adventure that's very short and not super replayable.

I want to use my paws to flush toilets and swat around catnip toys like a furry coked out maniac. I take it that probably isn’t possible in this game?

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You see, there is no jump button in the game, despite you having to jump onto things for puzzles jumpping is only possible at specific points throughout the world and done automatically. Apparently the devs didn't want the awkward movement of a cat to frustrate players by them missing a jump do to strange positioning or whatever. So you can't miss jumps.
What? Then what's the bloody point? One of the most interesting things and reasons to be a cat is their ability to jump really high and walk around on narrow things.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I want to use my paws to flush toilets and swat around catnip toys like a furry coked out maniac. I take it that probably isn’t possible in this game?
You can use your paws to knock shit off ledges. And you can get your head stuck in a paperbag.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Got it immediately. Am now cat. Press O to meow, GOTY.
I mean, I don't like Geese(they're fucking terrifying) but I enjoyed the Untitled Goose Game a lot so I guess Stray would be a fun lark.

Also my cats are implying I must buy the cat game if I plan to wake up alive tomorrow. I mean, I could just shut the door so they can't get into my room while I'm sleeping but that's the cowards way out. A real man spends his nights fighting off small furry assasins instead of getting good sleep, not cowering behind a door they can't open due to their lack of opposable thumbs and just not being very smart.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, I don't like Geese(they're fucking terrifying) but I enjoyed the Untitled Goose Game a lot so I guess Stray would be a fun lark.

Also my cats are implying I must buy the cat game if I plan to wake up alive tomorrow. I mean, I could just shut the door so they can't get into my room while I'm sleeping but that's the cowards way out. A real man spends his nights fighting off small furry assasins instead of getting good sleep, not cowering behind a door they can't open due to their lack of opposable thumbs and just not being very smart.

Well um, have you seen the animal reviews? I mean like, the literal animals that can’t get seem to get enough of it -

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
$30 bucks for 3 to 4 hours sounds realllly rough. I know that's probably a Sony demand, but yeesh.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
$30 bucks for 3 to 4 hours sounds realllly rough. I know that's probably a Sony demand, but yeesh.
Unlike that TMNT game that just came out with a campaign about 3 hours long is that at LEAST TMNT has replayability. This game does not. Outside of maybe a completionist playthrough for stuff you missed, you'll not need to play this game any more than twice tops.

While the game is a cute novelty game and it's worth playing, I don't think I could ever suggest this game if you had to pay full price for it. I don't think there is enough on offer.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I've played a few minutes of it. Doesn't seem like much yet, but it is pretty. I had to stop after a few minutes, though, because it first drew the attention of my real life cat, which was cute...and then she started pawing the screen, which wasn't as cute.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've played a few minutes of it. Doesn't seem like much yet, but it is pretty. I had to stop after a few minutes, though, because it first drew the attention of my real life cat, which was cute...and then she started pawing the screen, which wasn't as cute.
It begins.....

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Probably grab it for a 20 or something. My dance card is getting dangerously full because Noah Gervais keeps talking up games I'd forgotten about, figured I'd get around to someday or figured I'd probably never get around to actually beating.

And now because the loquacious fucker can't stop making things sound compelling, I purchased Dragon Age: Awakening Ultimate Edition(the one with all the DLC and content jammed in) for $5 and am very likely going to sit down and play the damn thing properly this time so I can say after a decade I finally finished it. And I'll probably grab Inquisition after that if I'm not burned out on RPGs after that point. Because then I'll play one of the Pathfinder games or finally play Pillars of Eternity or something.

DAMN YOU NOAH!

Who am I kidding? This is my fault for listening to video after video because it's like NPR but also videogames with the occasional F-bomb and I'm weirdly susceptible to that, it seems. Also the CRPG bug has bitten me hard lately so there's that too.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Sounds like every other AnnaPurina published game I can recall. Basic gimmick that might be unique or appealing, some sort of quirky indie settings.... and probably outstays its gameplay shine by a solid 70% or so.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This game seems cute but its dominance of video game coverage is inside to me. It's just 'cause it's a cat and cat is like bacon- internet meme gold.
A perfect type of game that I will wait for to be free, part of a subscription, or super-cheap.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
A perfect type of game that I will wait for to be free, part of a subscription, or super-cheap.
Well there may be good news for playstation owners then; 😇

Sony is currently offering a weeklong PS Plus trial for the Premium and Extra tiers of its revamped subscription service that rolled out last month. If you're a cat who's been mesmerized by the game, this is the news you've been waiting for. Just make sure your humans know about it.

The free PS Plus trial means you don't have to spend $17.99 / £13.49 to give PS Plus Premium a whirl. But keep in mind that you'll only be eligible for it if you're a completely new PS Plus subscriber who's never paid for the service in the past.

It also extends to the Australian equivalent – PS Plus Deluxe – which usually costs AU$21.95. This isn't immediately obvious on PS Plus's Australian website, but the fine print on the US site states that the trial is for "PlayStation Plus Extra, Deluxe or Premium."

Getting PS Plus Premium or PS Plus Extra for free is super easy. Just head to the PS Plus page on the PlayStation Store and hit 'view all membership plans'. If you're eligible for a free trial, you'll see the option pop up as shown in the handy screenshot above.

Given that it's a free trial with strict caveats, we suggest you give PS Plus Premium a go. If you don't want to carry on paying after the seven days, or don't like what's on offer, set a reminder to cancel, so you don't get charged.

The trial will give you free reign of what's available on PS Plus Premium. The library includes some of the best PS5 games and a chunky selection of last-gen PS4 titles. Retro fans can also check out the growing collection of PS1, PS2 and PSP games.

And rounding out the collection is a roster of PS3 titles, though these can only be streamed, not downloaded. Sadly, though, the PS3 library still isn't available in Australia. Hopefully the region will get access to these games at a later date.

Best of all, the new PS Plus Premium free trial will let you try out the newly released (and critically acclaimed) Stray, at no extra cost. This creative cyberpunk adventure sees you playing as an adorable kitty, doing its best to survive in a perilous futuristic city.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So after seeing a Yuotuber play through it. It seems to have a heart to it. There's clearly some thought put into the creation of the world the game takes place in. I will however say that I don't see why this game follows a cat. There's two halves of this game, one wants to be a cat simulator full stop, the other wants to be a post apocalyptic sci-fi story. Both have a lot of care put into them, and they don't really bring each other down... but I also can't say they do anything to enhance each other either. It feels like how RE8 got big meme coverage from "beeg woman" that, while it did boost word of mouth, overshadowed the high quality of the actual game which had nothing to do with it. I'm also reminded of how An Untitled Goose game took off from the meme of playing as a goose... but in that case the actual game felt like it was embracing the meme by having you be a goose that's just being a nuisance to people. The whole, "LOOK! You can be a CAT! And do CAT THINGS!" is in the game, but it's just set dressing to what the actual story of the game is, and that story doesn't have any bearing on the cat at all, the cat could be a dog or a robot, it wouldn't really change anything.

On a side note, the aesthetic and "feel" of the game reminds me a lot of Astral Chain for some reason. I can't really place WHY, but it does...

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker