Street Fighter IV Player Sets Winning Streak World Record

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Street Fighter IV Player Sets Winning Streak World Record

A gamer has set the world record for the longest winning streak in Street Fighter IV [http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B0012N5MIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278951888&sr=1-1], but does this mean anything?

A GameStation store located in the city of Hull, UK was the site where European Street Fighter IV champion Ryan Hart set the world record for the longest winning streak ever in Street Fighter IV this past Saturday, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. In four hours, Hart took on 169 of Hull's best challengers and defeated every single one of them, some quite embarrassingly. The previous record was held for a meager 108 wins.

One player was taken out in seven seconds, says Guinness' press release, which makes me think that Hart was playing single-round matches. Traditionally, Street Fighter has been played in three-round matches, so I already have a personal problem with this record. With the average survival time only 12 seconds, this also makes me think that a bunch of noobs lined up to take Hart on, seeming to additionally mar this world record.

Then again, Hart is the champion of a continent, so I'm not sure even my seasoned dragon-punching skills would have lasted more than a fifth of a minute either. Still, this world record announcement highlights the trouble with the Guinness Book of World Records even having its relatively new gamer's edition at all. What types of records deserve to make it into this book? Does every single version of Street Fighter get a printed winning streak record? Can I submit my record for the most profanities spelled using hay bales in Farmville?

Maybe all world records have the same problem, and perhaps they're just meant to be part of a fun book to look at. Still, if a group wants to say that someone has set the world record on something, I feel like it should be something that matters. Every person that Hart beat should have a minimum level of experience with the game. There should be requirements, otherwise the record is meaningless. The world record for oldest person in the world or the world's largest Pokémon collection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97654-British-Girl-Achieves-World-Record-Pokemon-Collection] are more quantifiable, and these kinds of records make more sense to me. The world record for most matches won in Street Fighter playing as Dhalsim using only punches seems more on shaky ground due to the quality of the competition required. If Guinness has these requirements, I apologize, but when we get into achievements in particular games being called world records, it seems like those could go on forever and ever without really being anything at all.

Feb 13, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Still, this world record announcement highlights the trouble with the Guinness Book of World Records even having its relatively new gamer's edition at all. What types of records deserve to make it into this book? Does every single version of Street Fighter get a printed winning streak record? Can I submit my record for the most profanities spelled using hay bales in Farmville?
The recent Guinness Gamer Book of Records had
Most Difficult Pipeweed to grow (only found in LotRo), Worst Superhero game, and a number of other very tough to beat (and useless) records.

Oh and "Most Destructable Environment". There's genius right there.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I know exactly where that place is, as I studied in Hull and went to that store! lol, of all the places!

Great though...now, wonder how long it will take for him to be knocked off...

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The Guinness Book of World Gaming Records is incredibly flawed, it seems like anyone can create, apply for and then break a record

A while back they awarded the record for most profanities in a game to House of the Dead: Overkill which was on the verge of release, an award which just reeked of a publicity stunt and 'back room dealings', as Guinness World Records seemed to have conveniently forgotten about games such as Kingpin and Scarface: The World is Yours, which would have taken the record for profanities if it hadn't been specifically coined for House of the Dead, the only contestant for the record.

I wouldn't take any of their records too seriously, they've probably got a record for "The most number of decapitations in a video game set in Ancient Greece with a character called Kratos and the number 3 in the title".

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I'm confused. I thought Justin Wong [http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/jun/08/justin-wong-breaks-world-record-street-fighter-4/] had that record clearly beaten. The same article also mentions Zak Bennett's 108 wins.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Wouldn't this be incredibly easy with Street Fighter IV?

1) Pick Blanka
2) Rapid fire the punch button. Move when needed.

- or -

1) Pick Zangief
2) Spam his infinite throw.

Sep 4, 2009
I'd have thought online matches at Guinness scrutinised locations (perhaps as an annual tournament?) would provide a more meaningful record. As it has currently been organised everything about the record is suspect.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Scrythe said:

1) Pick Blanka

- or -

1) Pick Zangief
This isn't the CPU, though, but actual people, which means just spamming electricity is a quick way to get killed by tiger shots or just about any projectile in the game.

And what "infinite throw" are we talking about, anyway? First time I've heard of one.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Equalox said:
Diago would win ALL
no johns
Here here, throw diago on the case and set a new World Record for, "Most Consecutive Losses by a Gaming World Record Holder" Or Maybe Kurota

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Scrythe said:

1) Pick Blanka

- or -

1) Pick Zangief
As a zangief player I find it funny how so many people will call him easy mode, yet I go online, and I can quite literally say that since the games inception I have faced off against less than 10 unique zangief players. Anyone care to guess how many Ken players?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I do believe I hold the "most time spent on Xbox 360 version of Oblivion" record.

3500+ hours is enough, right?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Woe Is You said:
Scrythe said:

1) Pick Blanka

- or -

1) Pick Zangief
This isn't the CPU, though, but actual people, which means just spamming electricity is a quick way to get killed by tiger shots or just about any projectile in the game.

And what "infinite throw" are we talking about, anyway? First time I've heard of one.
You mean that since the game's come out, you've never encountered someone preforming or attempting his "infinite Spinning Piledriver"? It can break through almost all animations if done right, and it can also be preformed while the character is on the ground, and about four of them are enough to take anybody out.

It's a damn cheap move if you don't know how to avoid it, but it still has quite a lot of advantages that most other moves don't, mainly the fact that this move can be executed even while the player is lying on the ground.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Scrythe said:
You mean that since the game's come out, you've never encountered someone preforming or attempting his "infinite Spinning Piledriver"? It can break through almost all animations if done right, and it can also be preformed while the character is on the ground, and about four of them are enough to take anybody out.

It's a damn cheap move if you don't know how to avoid it, but it still has quite a lot of advantages that most other moves don't, mainly the fact that this move can be executed even while the player is lying on the ground.
Nope, I haven't had any problems with infinite SPDs and neither has anyone else I've known. The SPD is a damn good move with only 2 frames of startup (which means it beats a regular reversal throw) and amazing reach but only hits if you're grounded. In fact, the whole idea behind playing Zangief is getting those SPDs in as he doesn't really have any other high damage moves. Getting thrown after an SPD induced knockdown is impossible, though, since in just about every SF ever, the knockdown animation renders the player invulnerable. They'd have to rise back up to be thrown again. There are all sorts of options there, but for example a reversal shoryuken beats an SPD (which is why most Zangief players go for a crossup mixup game after the knockdown).

And believe me, I've been playing against Giefs and they'd be doing infinite SPDs on people if there really was something that unstoppable. More often than not, though, I've been beaten Giefs at a pretty decent rate by keeping them away with Chun's standing heavy punch and heavy kick and Rose's standing heavy kick and forward heavy kick (the latter even beats lariats).

Equalox

Sep 1, 2009
hyperdrachen said:
Equalox said:
Diago would win ALL
no johns
Here here, throw diago on the case and set a new World Record for, "Most Consecutive Losses by a Gaming World Record Holder" Or Maybe Kurota
You Mad .. You Mad XD

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Most Difficult Pipeweed to grow (only found in LotRo), Worst Superhero game, and a number of other very tough to beat (and useless) records.

Wait, what? How do you quantify things like best or worst? those are opinions, not facts.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Eric the Orange said:

Wait, what? How do you quantify things like best or worst? those are opinions, not facts.
I'm pretty sure games like Justice League Task Force and Superman 64 are games where the badness can be quantified -- seeing how the games are completely broken in unfathomable ways.

Not everything is subjective after all.

Feb 13, 2008
Eric the Orange said:

To be fair, there was only ever one game that was gonna get that. Superman on the N64.

Scrythe said:

1) Pick Blanka

- or -

1) Pick Zangief
Chun Li can toe-tap to hundred foot kick to thousand foot kick both of those ;)

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Yeah the infinite piledriver is a lie, will only work if the person doesn't know what theyre doing. You could simply jump on wakeup if theyre trying to just standing SPD on wakup and then pound them as you come down while they sit lagged from foolishness. It cannot grab you off the ground. I tested this in training mode after hearing about it and since I main zangief I feal pretty confident in my doubts to this working. Link me a vid and prove me wrong otherwise drop it.