Street Fighter V Will Get A Cinematic Story Expansion

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Street Fighter V Will Get A Cinematic Story Expansion

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1261/1261070.pngStreet Fighter V will feature playable character prologues and a story expansion bridging the gap between III and IV.

When I first played <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/street%20fighter%20ii?os=street+fighter+ii>Street Fighter II, I wasn't aware of a plot beyond traveling the world and getting into hadouken fights. But it seems the series has a complex history that Capcom wants in the spotlight for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161200-Street-Fighter-V-to-Release-in-February>Street Fighter V. More specifically, Street Fighter V will feature playable "character stories", introducing backstories and relationships between fighters before kicking off a full-blown story expansion in June.

What can we expect from these stories? Based on Capcom's press release, they'll offer playable sequences for each character, introduce their role in the series, and highlight relationships with other fighters. Character stories will also use a throwback art style developed by Bengus, a Japanese illustrator who worked on several prior Street Fighter projects. Combined, these character stories function as a prologue for Street Fighter V's story expansion, which bridges the gap between Street Fighter III and IV.

Players who aren't interested in the deep, personal connection between Blanka and Vega can dive straight into combat, but there are benefits to finishing stories. Completing single-player content gives you the chance to earn Fight Money, which is used to unlock new fighters in post-launch content drops. Since the in-game store won't be available until DLC is actually released, Fight Money will accumulate in your bank to put towards several purchases. Alternatively, DLC content can be obtained with real-world money from the in-game store once it launches.

[gallery=5510]

Currency aside, it'll be interesting to see how Street Fighter V's story mode unfolds. In recent years, fighting games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice: Gods Among Us experimented with robust storylines, which proved successful with fans. Now that Street Fighter V has joined the trend, we might see new takes on characters that many gamers literally grew up with. We'll find out when the game launches for PC and PS4 on Feb. 16 2016, followed by the story expansion in June.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Sounds interesting but I'll not fall for this again. I bought SF4 three times even though Capcom 'promised' only one revised version. This time I'll wait for the 8th new version of Street Fighter V with all fighters and extras.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Xerosch said:
Sounds interesting but I'll not fall for this again. I bought SF4 three times even though Capcom 'promised' only one revised version. This time I'll wait for the 8th new version of Street Fighter V with all fighters and extras.
Redd the Sock said:
Good job Capcom. Why not just tell everyone to wait for the re-hashed edition?
It was stated multiple times that SF V will not get any other edition except for base game. Also, every single piece of DLC will be avaliable for purchase via IN-GAME currency and real money, similarly to Hearthstone.

OT: Saw this trailer earlier. Looks promising. I doubt it'll have story as good as Blazblue, Guilty Gear or MK, but I hope it'll be not bad nontheless.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Maybe now they'll tell us who won the second tournament, or maybe they'll resolve one of the series's umpteen plot holes.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I told myself I was going to wait for the Dan Hibiki announcement. However, hearing confirmation that the in game currency is called Fight Money has me intrigued. They'll have my dollars if I can get confirmation that I can take my fight money and buy two of every animal to load on a boat and beat the crap out of. On a completely unrelated note, lead makes water delicious.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Danny Dowling said:
Paying for story mode...
You have to pay with in-game currency which you can choose to buy with real money.

Besides, it's a fucking fighting game, story has never been a large emphasis. If you really cared about the story but don't want to spend the time unlocking bits of it just look it up in YouTube, the real gameplay segments SFV has to offer is with other players anyway.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
Mister K said:
Xerosch said:
Redd the Sock said:
Good job Capcom. Why not just tell everyone to wait for the re-hashed edition?
It was stated multiple times that SF V will not get any other edition except for base game. Also, every single piece of DLC will be avaliable for purchase via IN-GAME currency and real money, similarly to Hearthstone.
Yeah, because companies never lie...

You're kidding yourself if you honestly think Capcom will actually stick with that.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
Aerosteam said:
Danny Dowling said:
Paying for story mode...
You have to pay with in-game currency which you can choose to buy with real money.

Besides, it's a fucking fighting game, story has never been a large emphasis. If you really cared about the story but don't want to spend the time unlocking bits of it just look it up in YouTube, the real gameplay segments SFV has to offer is with other players anyway.
"It's a fucking fighting game" is not a fucking excuse to half-ass your game. Here's a little newsflash for you, some of us DO care about story and saying "it's a fucking fighting game" is not going to cut it.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Danny Dowling said:
Paying for story mode...
...except it's actually a free DLC

As to the game being released without it, it's probably not ready. The approach Capcom has decided to take here probably has to do with releasing it early in the year so it has enough time for the competitive playerbase to get used to it in time for EVO. If the story mode needs more work, then I have no problem downloading a FREE DLC later down the line, and if you have an issue with buying an "incomplete" game, just wait until June.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Damian Porter said:
Aerosteam said:
Danny Dowling said:
Paying for story mode...

"It's a fucking fighting game" is not a fucking excuse to half-ass your game. Here's a little newsflash for you, some of us DO care about story and saying "it's a fucking fighting game" is not going to cut it.
I didn't say anything about it automatically making the game half-assed, just that story has never been the focus of fighting games. I mean it's there, it's nice, but not essential.