Street Fighter VI - 3rd Strike Times Two.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Taking it back 2 da streets!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The whole roster?
No, but I already know two people who were leaked. I know the whole roster was leaked, but I am deliberately going out of my way not to spoil myself. Please do the same, and not spoil anything, if you know the whole roster.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm not the biggest fan of SF, but I do prefer how it looks more than it did in V. Gone is the playdoh hair with unnatural colour shades. It's not that I prefer realistic over stylized, but V just botched the look.

All that open world shit seems really dumb though.... but as long as they get everything else right it probably shouldn't bother people. If they don't get everything else right though, this stuff is going to be the scapegoat.

Looking forward to seeing Ken have decent hair again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
All that open world shit seems really dumb though.... but as long as they get everything else right it probably shouldn't bother people.
I am willing to give it a chance. Capcom is just doing what they can have more content, and keep people playing. This has been a problem for many fighting games on the Japanese side. The lack of single player content, nor not much extra modes to keep casual players invested. Capcom and Namco used to get this right. Arc System got it right with Granblue Fantasy VS. NetherRealm Studios perfected it with their recent MK and Injustice games. Hell, back when they were still Midway, they kept experimenting with this since Deception. The game all of these modes to keep players playing and try other modes to make replay value last.

All of lot modern fighting game companies that are not NRS, just release fighting games with the basic arcade, survival, and online. That's it. At $60 a pop, it is expensive. You're literally paying for vanilla arcade ports at that price. That is not even getting into all of the DLC and Season Passes added to the price. So far, Killer Instinct and Brawlhalla are the only few to get this right, because they're not full budget fighting games. It worked, because they got way less controversy for it, and because they gave you more content at a cheaper price. Brawlhalla is free-to-play.

If they don't get everything else right though, this stuff is going to be the scapegoat.
I highly doubt it. Capcom has this thing where they screw bad in the last game, they listen to criticism and actually go to fix things and make the next game better. They've done this with Mega Man 11, RE7 & RE2Remake, and Devil May Cry 5. They're doing everything they can to make SF VI work.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just hope they learned their lessons from SF5 and actually release the game in a finished state. Because however flashy and shiny this shit looks now, it'll be meaningless if it's a shell of a game at launch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just hope they learned their lessons from SF5 and actually release the game in a finished state. Because however flashy and shiny this shit looks now, it'll be meaningless if it's a shell of a game at launch.
I highly doubt they're going to make the same mistake twice. That move was made out of desperation. They originally went with a realistic aesthetic for Street Fighter 5, but it looked ugly and was outsourced to a different development company at that time. It didn't matter what state the game was released in, they needed a release date just to have it out there. I am not excusing them,' I'm just showing you their thought process and what they were doing. That's why the game was so barebones at the beginning. Capcom really didn't have any money, and Sony had the chip in to help them out. Which explains the exclusivity deal for an entire generation, not counting the PC version.

I didn't buy the game until the Championship Edition. All I had to do was pay $30, and I got a majority of the DLC and costumes. Best deal I ever got for a Street Fighter game.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I didn't buy the game until the Championship Edition. All I have to do is pay $30, and I got a majority of the DLC and costumes. Best deal I ever got for a Street Fighter game.
That's fine but the problem is that don't Fighting game communities fall off hard if:

1. The game isn't good at launch
2. There is a long wait before the "full version"

Sure you can wait until all the shit is out and buy it as a bundle but doesn't that mean you are coming into a weaker online community? A competitive game shouldn't have to wait to get good for people to start playing and enjoying it. Kind of defeats the purpose.

All let's not forget when they put commercials into the game lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's fine but the problem is that don't Fighting game communities fall off hard if:

1. The game isn't good at launch
2. There is a long wait before the "full version"
Yes. Hence why they most likely won't make the same mistake again. It's the casuals who decides whether a fighting game succeeds or not. While the hardcore reception varied, the majority of casuals hates SFV. Even after all the patches, fixes, and better gameplay mechanics. Understandable, so I do not blame them. The casuals always have determined the market for fighting games. Especially Street Fighter.

Sure you can wait until all the shit is out and buy it as a bundle but doesn't that mean you are coming into a weaker online community?
True. By Season 2 and Season 3, many people were still playing. Season 3 is where a lot more people were playing and afterward, but mostly from the intermediate and hardcore. Most casuals barely cared. Hell, even more people became active the 4th and 5th season.

A competitive game shouldn't have to wait to get good for people to start playing and enjoying it. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Exactly. The funny thing is, even though Capcom wanted more casuals to play, they focuses too hard on the E-Sports, Hardcore SF fans, and ESPN, that it bit them in the ass three different ways. The irony is that if they did not do all of this, they would have gone bankrupt. Hence the deal with Sony.

All let's not forget when they put commercials into the game lol.
I remember. It lasted for about the month. At first you could optionally turn them off, and after another patch, they were removed completely, I honestly don't know what Capcom was thinking with that one, and why they thought it was great idea.

The good news is, the one's in charge are mostly new blood, and actually care what happens. Monster Hunter World, RE7, RE2 Remake, and DMC5 got them out of their financial funk. They already won back the crowd, so I highly doubt they're gonna fuck it up again.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I personally like simpler controls. I've played enough random fighters to be comfortable with quarter circle inputs, but I tend to struggle with half circle and 360 insanity. I already struggle with getting my BnBs using basic attacks right, but then I mostly used to play anime fighters with really absurd BnB chains.

I always wondered if a fighting game can prioritize reflexes + decision making over complicated execution. A fighting game could in theory be balanced around a simpler control scheme though. Part of me believes that experienced players can pull off the specials with little trouble anyway, so the complicated inputs just serve as an additional barrier.

Though I also understand the flipside of certain moves potentially being OP without difficult execution, and there's also a lot less appeal and awe when it comes to the pro scene. And well, a controller can only handle so many basic inputs so movesets can't be anywhere as expansive without special inputs.

But as expected, the simplified moves will probably limit your ability to do a whole bunch of stuff. I think it's cool to have these controls as an option, but the newer players will probably get schooled by better players on classic controls anyway.

I remember I was at some event some years back, and they had MvC3 set up so I just started playing with randoms. I got matched with a random kid who selected the simple controls and started bragging about how he was really good. And.... I schooled him.

I guess these modern controls can still be good for players to learn other basic skills like timing, blocking, spacing and all that jazz without struggling with inputs initially, then if they want to get better at the game they will have to switch back to classic. I do question how many players will actually be able to make this transition though, or will they just get filtered eventually? Or maybe there will be casual lobbies for these people. Not sure how the community will turn out but I do feel that fighting games can be intrinsically new/casual unfriendly.

For long running games with established fanbases, having simple controls be optional is definitely the way to go. Forcing it to be the only control scheme will just lead to stupidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan