Streets of Rage movie in the works. John Wick creator attached.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
SEGA aims for another video game adaptation smash hit with their next project, Streets of Rage, led by John Wick creator Derek Kolstad. The film is a long time coming; SEGA announced a Streets of Rage adaptation alongside several other properties back in 2014 after creating the entertainment company Stories International, but none have come to fruition yet. The beat-'em-up video game centered on a group of former police officers fighting their way to take down a vicious crime syndicate, accentuated by a vibrant electronic dance music soundtrack and exciting side-scrolling action.

While the story could have easily fit the late '80s to early '90s style mold of action movies, extended media only included comics and a novella released within the three years covering the debut of Streets of Rage (1991) and its two initial sequels (1992 and 1994). Then, after 25 years, Streets of Rage 4 came out to unprecedented success and warmed the hearts of franchise fans. Despite the affection for the exuberantly-scored brawler, the film adaptation never took off until now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Found out yesterday and was put on both general news threads. Thank you though. To celebrate:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Can you at least wait until the trailer comes out, and then pre-criticize and judge? All we got was an announcement.
Do i have too, I mean based on the history of video game based movies since the dawn of time.

If I have no excitement or hope, I can only be pleasantly surprised. Don't get your hopes up because you're a fan of the franchise, I learned that lesson from Resident Evil movies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do i have too, I mean based on the history of video game based movies since the dawn of time.

If I have no excitement or hope, I can only be pleasantly surprised. Don't get your hopes up because you're a fan of the franchise, I learned that lesson from Resident Evil movies.
I did not say get your hopes up. I said just wait. I am cautious as well, but just wait and hope for the best. We do have good video game movies out there. Also, we've been getting better TV adaptions. Though to be fair, most animated TV adaptions of video games ranged between good, great, or fine, so there was already a march to constant improvement compared to most movie adaptions.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I did not say get your hopes up. I said just wait. I am cautious as well, but just wait and hope for the best. We do have good video game movies out there. Also, we've been getting better TV adaptions. Though to be fair, most animated TV adaptions of video games ranged between good, great, or fine, so there was already a march to constant improvement compared to most movie adaptions.
What TV shows base off video games have we gotten? I think im out of the loop.

I know about the Halo show, but ive heard it sucks so...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What TV shows base off video games have we gotten? I think im out of the loop.

I know about the Halo show, but ive heard it sucks so...
  • Super Mario Bros Super Show
  • Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic SatAM - The former Archie brand was based off this show.
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Sonic Boom
  • Castlevania
  • Arcane: League of Legends
  • Shenmue
  • DOTA
  • Wakfu
  • Cuphead

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Skellenore comfort.gif

Why would you do this thing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I will say that the director was not my first choice. I would have gone with either Isaac Florentine, Scott Adkins, David Leitch, or Gareth Evans.