Strider Review - Of Ninjas and Robots

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Strider Review - Of Ninjas and Robots

Double Helix delivers an impressively modern throwback with its Strider reboot.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I've been REALLY enjoying this game.

Is it some kind of ground breaking game?
No.

Is it fun as hell?
Yes.

Is it a cheap, poorly done, cash-in (SEE: Most movie tie-ins)?
Hell no.

Is it worthy of the Strider name?
Damn right, and I've been having a ball with it.

SargeSmash

Oct 28, 2013
Agreed, I've had a lot of fun with this so far. Playing on 360, and other than a few areas that have a bit of frame-rate jitter, it's smooth, and plays quite well. The exploration elements are appreciated, even if they're more scaled back than a full-bore Metroid-style game.

That's two great games from Double Helix in a row. Hope they can keep it up!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
As a long time fan of the series and character, I've been loving this game. It does a great job of mixing both the Metroidvania style of the NES version and the action platforming of the Arcade titles. There's even various splashes of how the character developed in the Marvel VS Capcom series such as shared move animations right down to Hiryu's launcher that, yes, can actually be used to launch enemies into combos. Upgrades not only open up new areas of the map to explore but also often enhance your combat and movement skills so it's not just "find the red key to go through the red door" style Metroidvania design. Even the music is largely comprised of excellent quality remixes from the original games. Great, great stuff.

Also, as a bit of a side note, I find it really noteworthy just how respectful this remake is to the original material. For all those who feel dismayed by remakes/reboots/sequels like the recent Dungeon Keeper, Sim City, Syndicate and X-Com (The Bureau), I would almost suggest buying Strider on principle alone.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
The 'boss returns with other friends you also fought' thing sounds like a shoutout to Osman, another Striderlike game (possibly by the same people, don't know off the top of my head). It had three early game level bosses all show up at once for revenge on you later in the game, with no power adjustment.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I don't know, I found it pretty mediocre. It's not a bad game but it just didn't do anything different or better than other similar games. I'm still not too far in into the game and haven't unlock all the upgrades yet, but what I've seen so far has got me wanting.

Personal opinion: It's not better than super metriod or symphony of night.

Update: Just beat the game, pretty short but not too bad. Doesn't feel too compelling to give it a second run though. In addition do NOT buy the ps3 version, the frame rate is so bad it virtually unplayable, get the PC version instead.

Need to turn off antivirus and fiddle with sound to get the game working properly with out crash though.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I think the sound design and the lack of readability in the art design ruins the game. It lacks a proper punch when you hit the enemies and it's hard to see what's going on when you get close to the enemies. It looks good, but a lot of small things completely ruins it for me. It's quite clear that Double Helix doesn't understand the nuances in arcade game design, hopefully they can do better next time cause they are improving a lot lately. Close, but no cigar....

Oh, and i can't for the life of me understand why they went for a mellow electronica soundtrack in a hyper charged action game, it boggles my mind!

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
It seems no one remembers Strider 2 on the PS1. This new release is closer to that than the original.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
SargeSmash said:
Agreed, I've had a lot of fun with this so far. Playing on 360, and other than a few areas that have a bit of frame-rate jitter, it's smooth, and plays quite well. The exploration elements are appreciated, even if they're more scaled back than a full-bore Metroid-style game.

That's two great games from Double Helix in a row. Hope they can keep it up!
I must admit , my heart sank when I saw they were the developers (much like it sank when I saw they were developing Front Mission Evolved), but now sounds like I might give it a go.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Could someone help me a bit? My game seems to run in slow-motion, depending how high the resolution is, it isn't unplayable but it sure is annoying, it's like Hiryu is fighting underwater. The fps is normal, but the game is just in slow-motion.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Uratoh said:
The 'boss returns with other friends you also fought' thing sounds like a shoutout to Osman, another Striderlike game (possibly by the same people, don't know off the top of my head). It had three early game level bosses all show up at once for revenge on you later in the game, with no power adjustment.
Osman was not made by the same team per say, but like almost every Strider clone out there at least one member of the original team that made Strider arcade workt on Osman.