Strike Commander- Highway to the Danger Zone

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Strike Commander- Highway to the Danger Zone

Originally released in 1993, Strike Commander combines the arcade action of Wing Commander with elements of simulation and drops players into a near future world of mercenaries and high speed fighter combat.

Read Full Article

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
"Come back next week to catch my review of Tex Murphy: Under the Moon!"

Umm... yeah! That'll be a killing review! I'm over the moon...

I like this series, some good games are being picked and it's a nice contrast against the depressing sheen of AAA modern gaming. Back when games didn't have to be super-polished to be popular, those were the glory days.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Probably one of my favorite Flight sims, especially with the free-play option. I forget the amount of planes you can fly against, but its not a small amount and quite fun. Graphics are grainy for today, but still was great amounts of fun back then, and holds up as an example of how to structure a sim game without becoming gimmicky.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Looks fun, reminds me of my old LHX Attack Chopper and the old Jane's games. One thing that wasn't addressed in the written review though- is this game fan service heavy or something, the "Barracks" and it's sign look like the opening of a vivid/hustler video.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
For those first hearing of the game here, it takes place in a near future where alternate history events have shaped the world into one locked in a constant struggle for resources, especially oil.
...Alternate history?

At the center of these conflicts are mercenary outfits that make their living taking jobs and fighting on the behalf of the countries and companies vying to maintain control and make a profit in the world's ever-degrading landscape.
...Alternate history?

You play a member of the Wildcats, a fighter squadron for hire suffering through a streak of bad luck that ends with your veteran commander dead and your character sitting in charge of managing the squadron and guiding its fate.
...Okay, there we go.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This game never really grabbed me back in the day.

With games like Wing Commander, X-Wing/Tie-Fighter, and Ace Combat...
It never seemed to hold me like the other series did.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I never did get this game. I went the Privateer route whiles friend went with Strike. I can't really say who got the better deal. Perhaps it's time to toss some more money GoG's way and rectify this minor transgression in my gaming history.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Tanis said:
This game never really grabbed me back in the day.

With games like Wing Commander, X-Wing/Tie-Fighter, and Ace Combat...
It never seemed to hold me like the other series did.
Now that you mention it, at the time I was throughly engrossed in Tie Fighter, which held me for a good couple of years.