Student Animation

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
So my girlfriend finished her graduation animation and it made it into the local film festival. Huzzah! Figured I'd do her a solid and share it with people other than the dozen that attended the festival.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Where is getting that stuff? It's not like he's wearing pants...

It's good, but the sound effects are kind of awkward since there's no talking.

chowderface

Nov 18, 2009
That's not bad! Congratulations to her on getting into the festival!

This is me kicking into actually-an-animator-myself-mode, though, and some of the cartoonier sound effects don't really work, the action is a little too restrained. I would recommend either exaggerating more or picking different effects.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
Nickompoop said:

Had to use stock audio clips. She's an animation major, not an audio major. You can't use any audio that's copyrighted.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
That'll show him for trying to be a gentleman. Kicked and raped! Hilarious! He sure had that coming!

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Do i see the next big hit animation wise? :)

No really, shes great. The style is all its own, and thats something rare these days. Most people go to cartoon-ish, or try pseudo-realism. Or.... *shiver* Cell shaded......

But hers has a classical feel to it.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Mid-Boss said:
Nickompoop said:

Had to use stock audio clips. She's an animation major, not an audio major. You can't use any audio that's copyrighted.
Couldn't she have friends provide the voices? It can't be that hard, since it's less than two minutes long and I can't imagine that it would add a significant amount of post-production.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
kouriichi said:
Do i see the next big hit animation wise? :)

No really, shes great. The style is all its own, and thats something rare these days. Most people go to cartoon-ish, or try pseudo-realism. Or.... *shiver* Cell shaded......

But hers has a classical feel to it.
She says "Awww thank you! I'm glad to hear my style doesn't just look anime, which is what I normally hear."

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
Nickompoop said:
Mid-Boss said:
Nickompoop said:

Couldn't she have friends provide the voices? It can't be that hard, since it's less than two minutes long and I can't imagine that it would add a significant amount of post-production.
Have you ever heard college students in an audio booth reading dialog? It's PAINFUL to hear. Besides she says "I wanted to do pantomime, like in the Wally movie where everything is expressed physically. We are encouraged to do that."

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
The animation itself is nice, but it plays better on mute. I'd probably have just recorded some simple sound effects with a Dictaphone app for my phone or something. Quality of sound either makes or breaks immersion. And using cookie cutter sound really never makes it.

Like you said though, she's not an audio major. And the animation itself is nice. I'd probably just advise that atleast homemade audio clips add a sense of genuine heart that cut and paste sound effects lack.
Well after reading all the comments she has resolved to re-do the audio at some point. But after spending hours on it each day for months, at the moment she can't stand the sight of it and flips out whenever I watch it. So it would have to be after the sight of it stops disgusting her.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Ahhh animation my life long dream but I never took it because there is few jobs for 2d animation however I do it for fun I actually have a daily 3rd and 5th on newgrounds

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
Sober Thal said:
Why was she so mean?

Also, why was the coloring done so poorly at parts over the sketches?
Because she was a lesbian with no interest and he was annoying. As for the sketching, she liked the look and kept it in in the final version rather than cleaning it all out.

Falconus

Sep 21, 2008
Eehh.... not trying to be rude but I wouldn't call that finished personally. It's very stilted. You need more inbetweens, particularly at the end of each motion. because right now you've got these sudden stops where it looks like frames are missing. And the character shouldn't really come to a complete halt until they're done moving, whereas right now there are these pauses in the middle of an action. I think you're seeing each set of keyframes as individual rather then how they flow together as a whole.

And maaaybe you should consider doing cleanup, which I know is an atrocious chore. but it would help it look more professional. As would shadows, which would be less work.

other than that I like your drawing style, I think your individual keyframes have strong poses
and I complement your backgrounds which is something I've always been bad at.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
Falconus said:
Eehh.... not trying to be rude but I wouldn't call that finished personally. It's very stilted. You need more inbetweens, particularly at the end of each motion. because right now you've got these sudden stops where it looks like frames are missing. And the character shouldn't really come to a complete halt until they're done moving, whereas right now there are these pauses in the middle of an action. I think you're seeing each set of keyframes as individual rather then how they flow together as a whole.

And maaaybe you should consider doing cleanup, which I know is an atrocious chore. but it would help it look more professional. As would shadows, which would be less work.

other than that I like your drawing style, I think your individual keyframes have strong poses
and I complement your backgrounds which is something I've always been bad at.
That's some good constructive criticism. I'll pass this on to her.