Student Housing Horrors.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
I live in a very nice house, with 3 of my buddies. This is the first year students have lived in it. I got up this morn, same as every other morn and noticed the kitchen did'nt smell pleasant. I live with 3 guys so I just thought it was the general state of the kitchen. However by 7pm this eve the smell was just terrible, like something had died under one length of cabinets. We managed to get the doors and kickboard off of them and found under the cabinet an old saucepan with a 2 year old packet of crisps stuck to it in some way. Nice...

We still haven't located the source of the smell. The kitchen is just unbearable now. We each have bet on what we think it's going to be, if you get it right you have to fry it and eat it. (We have chosen almost impossible sources). At least we laughed about it.

The older Escapists have probably experienced some form of student housing during their lives, and I'm sure there are a few horror stories to tell. So what has been the worst house problem you have experienced?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Wonderful, a bunch of horror stories to look forward to next year.

<- First year uni student.

Worst part of my accomodation is that no one except for me and one of my other (out of six) flatmates does any washing up.

Plates, pans and pots all piled up.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Ammadessi said:
Are there potatoes anywhere in the house? Potatoes smell AWFUL when they rot.
Nope I spent the entirety of today clearing stuff out and I cannot find anything that could be the source. It's like something has relieved itself in the fridges air flow. It's bad, but never mind hey!

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Amnestic said:
Wonderful, a bunch of horror stories to look forward to next year.

<- First year uni student.

Worst part of my accomodation is that no one except for me and one of my other (out of six) flatmates does any washing up.

Plates, pans and pots all piled up.
Oh man I remember those days. I've never longed for a dishwasher so much than when I was in Uni accommodation for a year. Some advice, when you're looking for a house make sure you speak to studnts already living there. Example why:
Me "Oh so this house is pretty nice!"
"Yeah I like it anyway."
"... so... no problems with it?"
"Nope... OH! Except the rats and the secret mould."
Said like it was a good thing! Gotta love that 'secret mould'.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
When I tread the topic title I thought this was about a specific student housing chopped of body parts or something similar.

Anyway, a couple of days ago 2 slices of bread dropped into the back of a cupboard... We found them both completely green, one of them looking like an egg.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Second student house I lived in, was nice enough, a bit small and a bit tatty and the shower was crap and the front door had a useless lock, but not catastrophic. It didn't smell and everything worked. It was also about a thousand pounds cheaper than anywhere else, which was why I was there.

Problem: The stupid fuckers I was living with.

None of them were nasty as such, which made it worse, they were just complete and total morons to a man. Two stumbled in blind drunk nearly every night, loving to play scouting for girls at earsplitting volumes as they did.

Another had no concept of heat, personal safety or how to cook. I ended up calling an ambulance for him because he'd picked up a pan of sauce I was cooking so violently it went over his arms and burned a laod of skin off (he had no reason to even touch the damn thing). As if that it was on a cooker boiling away wasn't a dead give away, then he was surprised when I was pissed of about having lost my food...
... he was a moron. He also generated a staggering amount of Rustler's wrappers, which stank.

The rest just never cleaned up after themselves, leading to stink. I never found out who, but twice I came down in the mornings (none of them had any early sarting lectures naturally) and found the kitchen sink full of vomit. Joy.

Another nearly drank himself to death at the end of one term, second ambulance call. They also managed to get a frying pan so hot the Teflon on it caught fire and they ended up throwing it out of the kitchen window.

One night I very nearly stabbed one them, I'd actually got the knife in my hand and drawn it back to stab before brains kicked in (nearly the year's end, projects deadlines and sleep deprivation).
End of the year, left without saying a word to any of them, good riddance.

Now I find extra money to go in my housing budget...

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
We once forgot to check we had totally emptied the bins before we went home for christmas for a few weeks and returned to a smell which was beyond awful.

What was it you ask? It was 2 week old squid heads which we threw out after making a sea-food risotto and they had managed to go though the binbag handle and into the actual bucket. I discovered the source of the smell, and was physically sick into the bin on the spot. I can only describe the smell as what I can imagine Cthulhu's dick to smell like.

Then there was the time the upstairs toilet broke and the water went kinda sulphur/stagnant and crap started backing up in the bowl...we rock, paper, scissored for who got to deal with it and thank god it wasnt me. My housemate went to work with 3 bottles of bleach and a toilet brush...cleared whatever was blocking it and also managed to break the brush head off. Then had to fish that out of the u-bend full of bleachy-shitty water.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
Ammadessi said:
Are there potatoes anywhere in the house? Potatoes smell AWFUL when they rot.
Yeah, we bought a bag of them the first week of school, used two and left them in our cabinets. The smell finally got out of the bag last weekend (about two months later) and all of course dishes and glasses had to be cleaned again.

Also for those living in apartments, do yourselves a favor. If you start saving bottles and cans, don't go more than three weeks without returning them. Old beer smells awful and we've got fruit flies in our apartment because of it.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
All I know about dorm housing is that since I'm freakishly tall I have to rule out colleges that don't have extra long beds.

Although when I studied a Standford over the summer, we had wars with other other rooms and through axe cans with a hole poked in them into people rooms and kept the door closed on them. Including a few old gags done whilst the victim was asleep.

And WTF? that putting the hand in warm water didn't work.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
All I know about dorm housing is that since I'm freakishly tall I have to rule out colleges that don't have extra long beds.

Although when I studied a Standford over the summer, we had wars with other other rooms and through axe cans with a hole poked in them into people rooms and kept the door closed on them. Including a few old gags done whilst the victim was asleep.

^ The reason I lock my door when I go to sleep.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Amnestic said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:

^ The reason I lock my door when I go to sleep.
Sometimes even that isn't a deterant. We clingfilmed one guys stuff up last year in the kitchen. Everything, individually wrapped. *tear* It was beautiful...

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
We had a tub of garlic and a load of pizzs behind the fridge that we couldnt move. THE SMELL. No girls ever came over =[

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Last year in student halls, one of my flat 'mates' never went home in the holidays, so when the rest of us came back it was always a stinking mess. I came back over the summer to move my things over to my new place and the kitchen literally looked like a hobos shelter, complete with trolley full of bin bags =/

Thankfully I'm living in a house with some reasonably civilised people this year.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
You have my sympathies OP. If food is left lying about, could be a decomposing rat or something? Whatever it is, keep going until you find it, if it smells that bad it ain't healthy to be around.

Living with 1st year students sucks - not got used to being away from Mummy and Daddy and often have no clue how to behave like a human being. I remember a group of pizza-faced little shits playing football with a kettle when I was in halls my first year. And I stuck a baked potato in the oven once and after my watch dinged the hour I went for it and found someone had nicked it. Seriously, if you did not put the bloody thing in the oven, why the feck are you eating it? Ceiling dropping outside my door because some prick had run a bath and forgotten about it was worst - had a near miss there.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
A clot of hair in the shower drain, when I pulled it out it was 15 inches long and and inch in diameter.

Aunel

May 9, 2008
wow

I can't wait to finish school, I am so going to own in living with other people.
[small]If I can at least hide their bodies[/small]

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
This if the first student accomodation i've lived in and well yeah if you want a shower don't expect to have any hot water. Also bugs we have these silverfish bugs which i've been beheading and squashing. Also i live with a man ¬_¬.