Student Pilot Looking for Tips (Pilots only please)

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I have just begun a private pilot training program, and I am looking for any advice that I can get from any pilots out here on the Escapist. I know there are at least a few private pilots out here, and possibly a few CFIs, so any advice would be appreciated.

So far, I have logged about 5 to 6 hours of flight time with an instructor in a Cessna 172. He's a great instructor, but I would like to hear some different perspectives on how to master a few things. I am finding myself quite nervous in power on stalls and in slow flight at altitude, and I am wondering what others have done to cope with this nervousness.

The funny thing is that I have part of an aerospace engineering degree under my belt. I know what is suppose to be happening with an airplane at any given time; right down to the flow of air over the wing, but I still have a hard time feeling relaxed at the controls - even though I have flown countless times before in the right seat. The unusual attitudes and situations sometimes put me on edge, and any advice, tips, or tricks I can gain would be appreciated! I know I will learn more if I can lose the nerves.

Friendly Lich

Feb 15, 2012
How many pilots are in the escapist?. Or you just trying to impress everyone that you are a pilot? But I'd brag if i was a pilot too.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Friendly Lich said:
How many pilots are in the escapist?. Or you just trying to impress everyone that you are a pilot? But I'd brag if i was a pilot too.
I am not looking to brag, but rather attempting to reach out to a portion of the community. The subject hasn't come up recently, if at all, and I know there are a few pilots here, so perhaps there could be more. It's a big community with a great many members. Some of us share experiences other than gaming.

It could be that I created a far too focused thread.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Friendly Lich said:
Well you got at least one.

I can't really tell you how to get past that. I never got scared while up in the air, I only ever got pissed off when things got difficult. Best thing I can tell you is to tell your instructor to take the controls back for a moment, let him show you and give the aircraft the proper inputs then take the controls back.

Honestly if you are doing it those at the appropriate height there is nothing to be afraid of. Even if you somehow manage to get it put into a spin the instructor (and realistically YOU) should know how and be able to get it corrected in a matter of seconds. Just relax and have fun, how many other people get to do what you do, and your scared not excited and hyped out of your damn mind?