Student Protest

Kashyyk

Jun 29, 2010
I'm at the age where I'll be the first set of students to pay for these new fees So I'm all for protesting. But as everyone else has said, violence just makes it worse. I wish I could've been there, but I didn't have the money to get into London.

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
LordCuthberton said:
I was there today, I helped tear up the lobby and stole an office chair and relaxed in the middle of the violence.

I'm a Tory, I think the entire day was a success.
I might of seen you on TV. So you reckon u made ur point and its the right way to go? Also im guessing the police didnt take any of ur details at all?

Out of interest, did you take the office chair home? U should hold on to it as a keepsake = P, you know something to tell the grandkids and all

CompetingMantis

Nov 10, 2010
Kirkby said:
Im surprised more people didnt get beaten by riot police actually... There was a lot of shit thrown and they just seemed to take it, infact.. Y did they let those people kick in the windows in the first place? They could of stopped them.

p.s Np we are generally a friendly bunch at the escapist, you know, when we aren't discussing politics and the like
A lot of what I saw being thrown were drinks cans or bits of wood from the placards, nothing that would have done any substantial damage really. At the start when the windows were broken there were hardly any police there, certainly not enough to cover both the windows and doors, which were the priority. Later, when the riot police showed up with helmets and shields they were better able to defend their position, but by then it was too late and tons of people were already either on the roof or in the building somewhere.

Lexodus said:
I was there too. It really wasn't as bad as it's been chalked up to be, and although it was a little over the top, peaceful protests do not work at all. I can only hope that, with what's happened today, the shitrags in charge will understand that we are not going to stand for this; perhaps now, after they've gotten over the shock of 'OMGWTF happened?" they'll start to question WHY it happened, and see how ridiculous it all is. Part of the reason people were so pissed off was because there are MANY ways to get the money without having to slash budgets- the bankers, those bastards that crippled the global economy, are doing less work and STILL taking bonuses, and there are 19 millionaires in the cabinet alone. On top of this, Clegg lied to the people who elected him (as soon as he got in power he welshed on his promise to prevent such cuts) and Cameron and the others all went to top universities like Oxford and Cambridge when education was FREE.

Mark my words, Escapists; this is definitely not the last we've seen of this. People are fed up with the unnecessary shit the government's pulling, and we've finally seen just how angry they'll get.
Still a bit pumped, eh? I can't really believe how into it everyone got - setting off flares, screaming at the police, and someone even brought along a drum-and-bass sound system haha. I have to admit I'm way more angry about the issue than I was before I went today, it's definitely rubbed off.

Most of the time people seemed absolutely pissed off because as a generation, we are paying for the budget deficit caused by the mistakes of the older generation, who got their education for free. Hypocritical and unfair much?

thebighead01

Sep 9, 2010
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
You obviously missed the bit where someone threw a fire extinguisher onto the police from the roof, that coulda been quite deadly.

Also, I wouldn't say the media are that up in arms about it, both bbc and sky news have made a point about saying that only a few of the protesters are being twonks and that most of the students there were being nice, peaceful and productive.

Anyway, I am very much against the violent destructive side of the protest. It undermines any serious point people were trying to make, it also causes the protesters to appear like a bunch of uncivilised scumbags.

And to anyone that says they don't think peaceful protests can work I'll ask you to remember ghandi, the guy's a household name for a reason
good for the students, especially the ones who used violence. Before you idiots start quoting Gandhi let me remind that 1 million people came to the streets of London to protest against going to war in Iraq and we STILL went. And that protest was peaceful beyond any reason. And let me also remind you that protesting against anything is harder than ever in this country. You have details taken, photographs taken, can be arrested under anti-terrorism legislation for protesting, black listed, etc. Please don't be simple by saying that all these students had to so was protest peacefully because lets face it the government will be passing this through parliament whether anyone likes it or not. It's better to go down fighting than on your knees. I just hope there are more protests like this in the future.
If they'll be passing it no matter what what's the point in causing pointless destruction and injuring innocent, hard working, productive police officers?

And I'd say it's better to go down fighting in a civil dignified manner than like a screaming brat.
you serious??? innocent? hard working? productive??? police officers enforce, no, blindly enforce laws passed by politicians not in an effort to protect people but make the biggest politically influential group in any western democracy feel safe and happy i.e. the middle classes. when they say that people should be protesting peacefully it means that you have to play by their rules. to subvert them in defiance is a win. so called civil dignity is a clean term that they use to demonise those opposed to them while making them seem legitimate. it also means that people like you swallow it up and say more please. and that pointless destruction was targeted, for one, at conservative headquarters, the people who are in government right now doing their best to cut everything they see. do you really want to continue this conversation???
You seem like an ill informed fool so no, not really.
lol, damn you make a compelling, logical argument, i take back everything i said. reverting to insults? what happened to being dignified. lol

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
You obviously missed the bit where someone threw a fire extinguisher onto the police from the roof, that coulda been quite deadly.

Also, I wouldn't say the media are that up in arms about it, both bbc and sky news have made a point about saying that only a few of the protesters are being twonks and that most of the students there were being nice, peaceful and productive.

Anyway, I am very much against the violent destructive side of the protest. It undermines any serious point people were trying to make, it also causes the protesters to appear like a bunch of uncivilised scumbags.

And to anyone that says they don't think peaceful protests can work I'll ask you to remember ghandi, the guy's a household name for a reason
good for the students, especially the ones who used violence. Before you idiots start quoting Gandhi let me remind that 1 million people came to the streets of London to protest against going to war in Iraq and we STILL went. And that protest was peaceful beyond any reason. And let me also remind you that protesting against anything is harder than ever in this country. You have details taken, photographs taken, can be arrested under anti-terrorism legislation for protesting, black listed, etc. Please don't be simple by saying that all these students had to so was protest peacefully because lets face it the government will be passing this through parliament whether anyone likes it or not. It's better to go down fighting than on your knees. I just hope there are more protests like this in the future.
I'm with you on this one. If I'm protesting, I don't want some cock in a fluorescent jacket telling me exactly what I can and can't do. I'm PROTESTING, for fuck's sake. I'm unhappy with the way things are and I want them to change, and that includes you!
If they'll be passing it no matter what what's the point in causing pointless destruction and injuring innocent, hard working, productive police officers?

And I'd say it's better to go down fighting in a civil dignified manner than like a screaming brat.
you serious??? innocent? hard working? productive??? police officers enforce, no, blindly enforce laws passed by politicians not in an effort to protect people but make the biggest politically influential group in any western democracy feel safe and happy i.e. the middle classes. when they say that people should be protesting peacefully it means that you have to play by their rules. to subvert them in defiance is a win. so called civil dignity is a clean term that they use to demonise those opposed to them while making them seem legitimate. it also means that people like you swallow it up and say more please. and that pointless destruction was targeted, for one, at conservative headquarters, the people who are in government right now doing their best to cut everything they see. do you really want to continue this conversation???

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
InterAirplay said:
fullbleed said:
Oh if only there were some other way to pay for education or get rid of debts.. err ... ah .. i hmmm.. dunno taxing the rich... maybe?

[HEADING=1]NO! NO, DO NOT TAX THE RICH. NEVER TAX THE RICH! NOT NOW NOT EVER![/HEADING]
I recall a rather amusing quote from a book I read which was discussing Blair: "apparently, Britian's heart is made of working families with their nose permanently to the grindstone - or at least it is according to Blair. But hang on, as a Labour party member, isn't his job to help them get their nose off the grindstone? and if he's a member of the labour party, shouldn't his course of action to be to, y'know, tax the rich a little? even just a tiny percentage increase would generate sums so large that the inland revenue would run out of carrier bags to put it all in. But no, according to Blair, they would "hire accountants to do this and that" and exploit loopholes in the system. Carrying out an illegal and controversial invasion that no-body actually wants in order to do battle with militant jihadists? Bring it on! Accountants doing "this and that"? oh, Christ no! to the boats! to the boats!"

But at least with blair we could all act shocked and say "what a twat he turned out to be, eh?". When the toffs start giving most people in Britian a great big financial punch in the face in favour of rewarding the people who don't actually need any more money, all we can really say is "We fucking knew this would happen, it's not like it didn't already happen just THIRTY YEARS AGO FFS!"
I'm losely paraphrasing a quote from a book I've got called "Is it Just Me Or is Everything Shit?", pretty apt a title no?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Kirkby said:
Hey everyone, to catch up none UK residents and people not watching the news....

First of all in the UK the government is raising the annual fee of £3000 to £9000 for university students, this has caused a lot of anger and today a protest turned a little violent today.

Students stormed the Millbank tower and began protesting there. Windows were smashed and bonfires lit but no one was seriously hurt. The media is up in arms about it and everyone is calling it a disgrace. But is it?

I mean as far as i know no ones been hurt and the most violent thing i saw was window smashing and its gotten the nations attention, unlike every other "peaceful" protest so maybe something will now be done.

So topic for discussion.. If youv been following this on the news are you for or against this protest? If you dont live in the UK/dont know wtf is going on, do you think peaceful protests are effective? Or is it sometimes good to cause a stir to raise awareness for an important cause

p.s just to state its important to remember there have been no serious injuries, obviously very violent protests are always wrong
I'm surprised nobody thought costs for going to school would go up anyway. I do think that £6000 is a high raise(how much is that in USD?), I thinking that they are apparently making up for raised that they didn't do ever year.

Here in the US, the tuition for colleges and universities raises ever year, I think it raised at least 1000 USD this year, and I believe it was close to that amount it raised last year. This year I am paying over 15000 this year, I remember only a few years ago it was barely over 13000.

Hashime said:
lacktheknack said:
Hashime said:
That is a lot of money, significantly more than I pay, and I am in very close to the most expensive university program in Canada.
How much? I have to pay ~$6000 a year (about 3000 pounds... huh).
$11 500 Canadian for tuition, residence is $6000 a year.
You guys have it easy up there.

I'm paying 15000 this year, and that's only because I'm an in-state resident. If I came from out of state, I think the cost would go up to at least 20000 or more.

I'm just glad I didn't decide to go to the private university that is next to the one I am going to, their in state tuition is 32000 a year.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:

lol, damn you make a compelling, logical argument, i take back everything i said. reverting to insults? what happened to being dignified. lol
I said it in my poshest most dignified voice.

thebighead01

Sep 9, 2010
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:
thebighead01 said:
Bobic said:

I said it in my poshest most dignified voice.
:D

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Lexodus said:
LordCuthberton said:
I was there today, I helped tear up the lobby and stole an office chair and relaxed in the middle of the violence.

I'm a Tory, I think the entire day was a success.
You were there too? I was the guy in the V mask and suit with the crutches, who ended up getting sucked into the building twice :L
There were loads of V masks.

The best moment was the giant carrot. Or the wheelchair guy.

Or me. =]
I saw that carrot, and laughed my ass off :D

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
fullbleed said:
InterAirplay said:
fullbleed said:
Oh if only there were some other way to pay for education or get rid of debts.. err ... ah .. i hmmm.. dunno taxing the rich... maybe?

[HEADING=1]NO! NO, DO NOT TAX THE RICH. NEVER TAX THE RICH! NOT NOW NOT EVER![/HEADING]
I recall a rather amusing quote from a book I read which was discussing Blair: "apparently, Britian's heart is made of working families with their nose permanently to the grindstone - or at least it is according to Blair. But hang on, as a Labour party member, isn't his job to help them get their nose off the grindstone? and if he's a member of the labour party, shouldn't his course of action to be to, y'know, tax the rich a little? even just a tiny percentage increase would generate sums so large that the inland revenue would run out of carrier bags to put it all in. But no, according to Blair, they would "hire accountants to do this and that" and exploit loopholes in the system. Carrying out an illegal and controversial invasion that no-body actually wants in order to do battle with militant jihadists? Bring it on! Accountants doing "this and that"? oh, Christ no! to the boats! to the boats!"

But at least with blair we could all act shocked and say "what a twat he turned out to be, eh?". When the toffs start giving most people in Britian a great big financial punch in the face in favour of rewarding the people who don't actually need any more money, all we can really say is "We fucking knew this would happen, it's not like it didn't already happen just THIRTY YEARS AGO FFS!"
I'm losely paraphrasing a quote from a book I've got called "Is it Just Me Or is Everything Shit?", pretty apt a title no?
I love that book :D

PayJ567 said:
I just love how scared the government got of fucking students.

They call that a riot? Pansies.

Although I would shake all of their hands for how scared they made the big Government during their debates.

"Why don't you go out there and explain your policies to the 50,000 students"

Fucking pansies I tell you.
QFT. Part of the reason, apart from the fact that they were terrified, was because they have NO way of defending their ridiculous bullshit policies, and we'd call them out on it the second they start trying to feed us crap.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
My major problem with the BBCs coverage, as me and my housemates were yelling at the TV about, was that when they kept on talking about how the violence was what people would remember, it was because that was 99% of what they were showing! The rest was stock footage from earlier in the day, and when the live feed got a bit quiet, they replayed breaking windows etc, making the entire event look far worse.

Reminded me of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe coverage on the summits. Kept on expecting Shouty Head-Wound Man to show up...

I'm all for the protest. I was going to go down, but I don't know too much about it, so felt like doing so would be a bit hypocritical. The violence, however, was totally unjustified, and I'm glad the NUS condemned it earlier. Also glad that they was constant mentions that it was peaceful everywhere else, even if they didn't always show it.

Jul 11, 2008
One of the biggest problems with tuition fees and debts incurred by students through study is the big problem of courses having very little relevence or poorly equipped universities.

Students will study, jump through all the hoops that the course throws at them and leave the university to find that the career they've been working toward has nothing to do with what they spent all that time and money studying.

this leaves a lot of graduates unable to find the high paying work that is supposed to magically get rid of the debt.

couple that with the newly suggested forced labour schemes for jobseekers seeing them perform 30 hours of hard labour for around £65 a week benefits and students are being unfairly screwed over by universities and selfish, overpaid politicians.

The protests are a good thing and the violence seems to be the only thing that gets the attention of MP's.
compare the results of every peaceful protest of the last few decades to the riots in the 80s' and you get the picture.

If EVERY student took part in the violent action the police couldn't possibley put it down and the leeches in parliment wouldn't be able to ignore the issue.