Studio Trigger announces new anime adaptation: Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

As you might be aware, Studio Trigger animated a promotional trailer a while back for volume 8 of the manga

Personally, Trigger is probably the most anxiety inducing studio to do this for me. Like, they have some great stuff, but a large part of Delicious in Dungeon is in the attention to detail, and Trigger's hit or miss for me in general

More The Elder and less The Twins, you know?

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I tend to really like Trigger when its just semi episodic wacky fun but really dislike it when they try to get serious and have more of a plot.

The last show from them I watched was their zootopia one and it got really weird in the end when the show about discrimination had the villain be one of the discriminated animal person, thereby validating all the discrimination.

Little witch academia also had this weird thing where the main character would have to learn virtues to save the world, just to immidiately unlearn them the very next episode, but for some reason she was "the one".

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Little witch academia also had this weird thing where the main character would have to learn virtues to save the world, just to immidiately unlearn them the very next episode, but for some reason she was "the one".
I really liked the Little Witch OWA but the series just... didn't do it, the main character also had her willful stupid turned up to 11.

The manga for Delicious in Dungeon was good, but creepy. I mean its a manga with the theme of eating where most of the issues are directly eating related and solved by eating.

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The last show from them I watched was their zootopia one and it got really weird in the end when the show about discrimination had the villain be one of the discriminated animal person, thereby validating all the discrimination.
That is the same plot twist in Promare with the Mad Burnish. The only difference being that a majority of the Burnish just want to be left alone, or are not aware they are one, until they spark a flame. The main villain however, is a scumbag that thinks he's a well-intentioned extremist.

Trigger just loves this running theme of certain plot twists, well intention extremists, or trying to do another Anti-Spiral type alien race. Let Gurren Laggan go ladies and gentlemen. I love KLK and Promare, but you got to switch it up. You already did so with those two shorts in Visions. I'm waiting for them to get started on a new season of Panty And Stocking.

More The Elder and less The Twins, you know?
Both of those shorts are awesome, and two out of my three favorites from Visions. I get what you mean, though I know nothing of this manga you just mentioned today. From what I'm seeing, the art style don't look too half bad. Then again, these are just screenshots.

Last edited:
Reactions: meiam

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Both of those shorts are awesome, and two out of my three favorites from Visions. I get what you mean, though I know nothing of this manga you just mentioned today. From what I'm seeing, the art style don't look too half bad. Then again, these are just screenshots.
I 110% suggest picking it up if you have any possible interest in an adult fantasy story in the slightest. No isekai, no video game logic, just a rolling boulder of a story that starts off with a desperate adventuring party scavenging their way through a dungeon because they don't have the time or money to properly stock their rescue mission. Shaping up to be a ~14 volume series unless Stuff Happens and if it sticks the landing it's Berserk level

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
For anybody interested, I'd recommend reading the first 4 volumes at least. Gets you a good story arc with a fair bit of resolution, and if you don't end up vibing with it you'll have a bit of closure. Volume 5 is where the world and characters start expanding in earnest and the series really starts capitalizing on the basic concepts of the first 4

I really need more details on how many episodes the first season is gonna be. It's so dense I can't see them squeezing the first 4 volumes into 13 episodes. Two would probably be a good fit and that would still move at a pretty good clip

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I 110% suggest picking it up if you have any possible interest in an adult fantasy story in the slightest. No isekai, no video game logic, just a rolling boulder of a story that starts off with a desperate adventuring party scavenging their way through a dungeon because they don't have the time or money to properly stock their rescue mission. Shaping up to be a ~14 volume series unless Stuff Happens and if it sticks the landing it's Berserk level
Thanks for the recommendation. I really don't do manga reading anymore, aside from one exception, but I will give the anime a shot whenever it releases. I just like the fact it's not another isekai, and the fantasy world is its own thing.