Study Claims Handheld Game Piracy Losses Top $41 Billion

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Id love to see how they were even avble to gather such massive statistics. I am sure its alot of money, for sure, but a sum near that amount...seems highly unlikely.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
Remember when pirates had boats, treasure and swords?

Now they're just c*nts.
Remember when Swedish people were vikings that went out and did awesome shit?

Now we're just c*nts famous for hosting a site dedicated to c*nts and named after cool people who had boats, treasure and swords but are now only c*nts.

We also have a political party consisting of c*nts.

OT: While those figures are too big for me to believe entirely, I'm not going to deny the fact that they've probably lost a lot of money anyway.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I find it shocking that that people would value the games which were pirated at $41 Billion.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
41 Billion a year?
Who made those statistics? Epic Games? Fox News? Boc&Base?
Does this mean handheld gaming is dyeing faster than PC gaming?
Can we mock handheld consoles now instead of PCs?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Oh dear god! Someone must stop those crazy pirates! They've been looting the game industry and plunderin' the goods.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
James Hueick said:
Wow (sarcasm) that nothing compared to the 3 trillion the US army's spend on the Iraq war.
Can someone help me out here? I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the above statement has to do with anything related to the topic.

OT: Of course those numbers are BS but that doesn't mean losses do not exist at all. What i like about the article is that for once it reminds people that piracy =/= PC piracy. It might be the biggest chunk but it for sure is not the only platform piracy happens on.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
The industry is going about this wrong. They're going the baby-boomer-guilt-trip-fear way. Where they straight up lie about the figures and Pachter on GT saying 'Duh, I'm old guard and I believe in rightousness and all pirates should go to jail' Shut up, bland moron.

They keep doing this and they're going to get the equivalent of their kid listening to horrible swedish metal.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
John Funk said:
To people claiming that not every download is a lost sale: That's true, but that's not the point. The fact that there's at LEAST $41bn of pirated software floating around out there is a staggering number. If even 10% of that was a lost sale, that's $4bn. That is a lot of money.
And the other point would be that your figure of 10% just as justifiable as their figure of 41 billion, ie, not at all. It could be 100%, it could be 0.000000000000000001%, there is no way to know and, instead of claiming knowledge they lack and collectively punishing consumers on that basis, they should maybe do some studies which can produce workable outcomes such as; What can we do to encourage legal purchasing? What demographics actually engage in piracy?

They could also start actually paying attention to the studies which have been done which produced workable outcomes, such as the one which showed that people who pirate music spend MORE than people who don't on legitimate purchases.

Throwing around numbers and screaming "Piracy is bad, mmmkay" will not stop piracy, if they want to make more money maybe they should focus on ways to do that; constantly striving for an unachievable goal will only cost them more.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Wow, I didn't know piracy was such a problem on handhelds. I mean, I know there are emulators and those thingies Nintendo tried to ban a while back, but I've never thought of it as a widespread phenomenon. I know a few people who regularly pirate PC games, and even console games (a friend of mine got banned from XBOX Live for playing a pirated game, apparently), but I've never known anyone who pirated handheld games.

Aside from that, I'm really starting to get tired of the fact that every time people talk about pirated games, they call them 'losses'. I have a hard time believing that a non-trivial fraction of those pirates would've bought a legitimate copy of those games if they couldn't pirate them, and have yet to see a shred of evidence supporting such a claim. If a thousand people pirate a game, those are not a thousand lost sales. I recognize that piracy is a serious problem, but you're not helping anyone by blowing it out of proportions at every opportunity.

James Hueick

Feb 8, 2010
ramox said:
James Hueick said:
Wow (sarcasm) that nothing compared to the 3 trillion the US army's spend on the Iraq war.
Can someone help me out here? I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the above statement has to do with anything related to the topic.

OT: Of course those numbers are BS but that doesn't mean losses do not exist at all. What i like about the article is that for once it reminds people that piracy =/= PC piracy. It might be the biggest chunk but it for sure is not the only platform piracy happens on.
All I'm saying is that these numbers pale in comparison to the massive amount of money the US government has spent on that stupid war; and they're making a big deal out of less than a tenth of that.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
This, ladies and gentlemen, is the future of gaming: piracy. Although their figure is probably way off: I doubt Japan alone accounts for 25% of videogame sales these days. Plus don't forget: download started != download finished, never mind lost sale.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm sorry, $41 billion, isn't that more than the entire games industry has made in the history of the world?

These people need to start hiring financial experts and stop hiring proctologists when they need figures for statements.

However, despite not owning a DS, I have seen the ridiculous romsets on torrents, and it's no surprise that number is so high, as people tend to download 200 DS roms at a time, even if they only wanted 3. Now that's probably not 3 lost sales, but no-one with any sense would say it was 200 lost sales.

I'm curious, does the PS3 have a big piracy problem? Just that I know if a download was going to be 50gb, that's more than a lot of people have as monthly bandwidth in the UK, and even if you have unlimited, you're still going to be waiting a long time on 1-2mb DSL.

not debating the morality here, it's been done a million times, but I'd suggest that games under 1mb are going to be downloaded easy and quickly.

without defending idiotic DRM, protection built into the console I think is a good idea, the DS got hit hard by the R4 chip, I have a friend who's got one and I don't think he's ever bought a game for his, despite being fairly well off, he buys 360 games all the time, but the DS is just very easy to abuse.

Most consoles you'll at least have to take to an expert, have opened, voiding warranties, and have some kind of chip fitted, the DS you could play pirate games on forever, send it back to nintendo when it breaks and I don't think they'd know.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
So if they lost $42 billion, about £30 billion, that means about a billion games downloaded for hacked PSPs, flashcards on DS and emulators. That is based on the handheld games costing £30 a pop. Most big releases come out as about £35 (~$75) not to mention the huge amount of shovelware and budget titles, and the fact that price drops for handhelds are higher than for console games. I'm sorry, but that is surely a complete load of rubbish?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
SenseOfTumour said:
I'm curious, does the PS3 have a big piracy problem? Just that I know if a download was going to be 50gb, that's more than a lot of people have as monthly bandwidth in the UK, and even if you have unlimited, you're still going to be waiting a long time on 1-2mb DSL.
Probably not. I haven't heard if the OS has been cracked yet, but assuming it has, blu-ray burners and blank blu-ray discs are still fairly rare and expensive, and as you said, a 50Gb iso will take a lot of time to download. Hell, pretty much all PC games are well under 20Gb.

Apr 28, 2008
41 billion?

Inflated much?

You know, corporations, businesses. If you want me to take your side when it comes to piracy, stop being complete assholes and stop inflating how much money you lose to piracy. I'm no fan of pirates, since they're basically the reason we're in this whole mess. But your not exactly the shining example of goodness in the world.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
John Funk said:
To people claiming that not every download is a lost sale: That's true, but that's not the point. The fact that there's at LEAST $41bn of pirated software floating around out there is a staggering number. If even 10% of that was a lost sale, that's $4bn. That is a lot of money.
True, but I think that saying it's $41 billion in lost sales is overstating things a fair bit in an attempt to guilt trip people (maybe). My thought is that they can have my sympathy when they give me a fraction of their money mountain. Seriously, Nintendo made how much on handheld gaming in the last year, let alone 5 years? I totally feel their pain (/sarcasm).