Study Claims Videogame Mechanics Persist in Real Life

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Huh, this has never happened to me despite my constant gaming. I've had dreams that have been clearly influenced by video-games, but that's about it.

Anyway, this shouldn't really be so surprising. When you do anything for a long time this can happen (I've personally experienced a similar thing after swimming, for example).

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
So.. am I weird in that this doesn't happen to me?

I mean sure, sometimes i'll sit there when im really, really bored and pretend that im in a game and invent reasons for why people are doing certain things* but I have never stood in a crowd and tried to open a search bar to look for them, that is just stupid.

[small]* This isn't a gamer-only thing though, I know people who don't play games who do very similar.[/small]

rayen020

May 20, 2009
this is interesting, but... thats really just it, it's interesting. I don't see where we could go from here, as developers, gamers, parents, or policy makers. it's just a way people work with reality, there isn't a right or wrong way, and trying to say that there is leads to bad dark places.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
Irridium said:
In other words, they kind of proved that "The Tetris Effect" exists. Which is something we've known for years.

Or is this studying what kind of effects it has, instead of just seeing if it just exists. Because that'd be less stupid.
Whoo. Saved me a post....... sort of.

Just be careful, the cap slips off the pen.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It happens to me all the time the other day I ate a green mushroom and gained an extra life which I later lost by walking into a turtle, DAMN THOSE TURTLES!

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
I played GTA 4 for a while, and I was driving down the street; and I know this sounds cliche, but I saw a fairly cool car driving down the road, and for a split second I thought "Oh turn around and take that, that's cool" I was immediately ashamed of myself.

Feb 13, 2008
And the idea of a positive relationship and GTP will never be picked up.

C'mon guys, we've known about this since the old VR machines. Why is it only just being "proved" now?

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
After playing a couple of hours of Minecraft, I went out to take out the binbags.
it was dark so naturally, I "reached" for the 9 key then tried to place torches.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
I've had this happen after any solid amount of time playing Assasins Creed. I'd end up mimicing the style of moving through crowds. Theres a similar effect when I wear a suit if I've played Hitman within a week or two.

But I usually only get into the habit of speaking like some characters. And I mean like using fictional words, not spouting gibberish like something out of Rayman.
Not a game one, but last time I re-read all the Gaunts Ghosts books(over the course of about 3 weeks), I was saying Feth for about a fortnight.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Irridium said:
In other words, they kind of proved that "The Tetris Effect" exists. Which is something we've known for years.

Or is this studying what kind of effects it has, instead of just seeing if it just exists. Because that'd be less stupid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0

imperial proof that tetris persists beyond the game.

you know the terminator scanner? highlight, grid, name i do that sometimes for lols, but i don't have any nervous game twitch tenancies that i'm aware of
i took the name of my avatar in Warcraft, ( who dosent? ) but other than that nothing special

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I try to pres Ctrl+Z when I make a mistake while drawing. It comes with being a pixel artist.

But also FUCK NO GET THE 'GAMES CAUSE VIOLENCE' ADVOCATES OUT NOW!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
This is utter quackery. Furthermore, this is known as The Tetris Effect [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTetrisEffect]. It's been documented already. Now they're just making up excuses to investigate people who have literally gone insane from gaming too much that they've lost the distinction between fantasy and reality.

"Game Transfer Phenomena" indeed. Here's a solution - GTFO your house every once in a while!

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
The hell are you talking about?! I've never ran into that problem in my life ever!! isn't that right Rush?

Rush: WOOF! WOOF!

I am totally right!

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
Okay so the only time I "reach" for a controller that is not there is when I want to mimic the action when talking about how I had a controller and did something with it.

We do stuff like that, how old is the old "pistol finger" thing? Does it mean that person played too many FPS games? No.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Uh...what?

I literally play video games pretty much everyday (Stopping only to work), and I've never experienced 'GTP'...although, I will admit that many of my dreams consist of the game I'd been playing that particular day.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I saw a bunch of car wheels and thought that if I destroyed them it'd give me new lego blocks to build with.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I don't game that often any more but on occasions I do get really immersed in one, I've found this happens to me. When you get so deeply into anything (can happen with books too) your subconscious mind kinda thinks its real even though you know it isn't. Or maybe the other way round, maybe you're consciously in the game but subconsciously know that it isn't real. One of the two.

So the people saying its about gamers who are going mental or something... no. Its just like when you wake up from a dream and you still half feel like its real for a few moments.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Fiad said:
I can vouch for this, after binging Minecraft I went to a Walmart and started thinking of the best way to tunnel through the shelves and how to arrange the boxes for the best fort.
I used to do that as a kid with Kmart and my living room. Then I made a fort in my dining room with the stuff from the living room.

OT: I never got any kind of "GTP" in a reflex sense. If I play Guitar Hero/Rock Band I will see the little dots or dashes scrolling down when I close my eyes. Used to get that with Tetris too.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
After a long session of any game I start walking like the character
Always. I walked like Niko Bellic for 3 months. 3!

I have to say this is the first game related scientific research that doesn't sound like bullshit to me.

hypovolemia

Mar 25, 2011
I've never had something like that, though after hours of playing Catherine the Tetris Effect kicks in quite strongly. Even in the cutscenes.

But I do have the occasional wish for CTRL+Z to work in real life.