Study Finds Gaming Isn't Bad for Sleeping After All

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Mr. Mike said:
TheComedown said:
i find gaming doesn't effect my sleep at all. tho that could be partly cause I'm up until my eyelids will close whether i want them to or not... they seem to be telling me this now.

Andy Chalk said:
On a side note, yes, I do find it rather amusingly ironic that Australia, the land of no R18+, has academics conducting research in which 13-year-old boys play Modern Warfare.
yes this is our country filled with hypocrites... tho MW came out as MA15+ so only a few of the boys where underage. anyway no matter where you are these underage kids are playing these games either way so it was a little more accurate for the study.
Well the MA15+ isn't a restriction, it's a recommendation. And I'm sure they had proper adult supervision to explain that it wasn't real. :p
well it kinda is, if you look under 15 and you walk into a game store and go to the counter with a MA15+ they should be asking for id, i got asked for id when i was with my brother buying FEAR when it was new, i want even buying (or even going to play) the game and i got asked for id

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
I agree the experiment was poorly designed. 50 minutes? You're kidding me right? Researchers have terrible ideas about gaming habits and will work off recommended levels and survery analysis. They don't realize half the people are too busy playing games to fill the survey out.

RnAoDm

Apr 22, 2009
Personally i dont get enough sleep and never really have. While it's true i might spend some nights gaming, if i wasn't playing a game i'd just be doing something else besides sleeping.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The study involved 13 boys aged 14 to 18 years who were asked to perform one of two tasks while in bed in a darkened room: Watch the Academy Award-winning documentary March of the Penguins, or play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

On a side note, yes, I do find it rather amusingly ironic that Australia, the land of no R18+, has academics conducting research in which 13-year-old boys play Modern Warfare.
Might need an edit here as you contradict yourself. Firstly you said they were 14-to-18 years of age and the number 13 was the SIZE of the sample group, not the age.

But even if the boys were as young as 12 it doesn't matter as Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) awarded Call of Duty 4 a rating of "12+" which I'm quite sure is the version that was used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_4:_Modern_Warfare

It was Modern Warfare 2 that almost universally got the R18+ certificate for things like the "No Russian" level. COD4 is fairly tame in comparison. In fact most countries gave COD4 very lenient ratings as although it was a very action packed war game it was almost entirely you shooting hardened soldiers, little to no gore effects and no moral ambiguities like innocents being killed.

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
Gaming sure screws with my sleep... I'm overseas so I had to wake up @ 2 AM to make my guilds raid time on WoW.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Ricotez said:
I can't say I completely agree with this. I've noticed myself I take longer to fall asleep if I go to bed right after gaming, than when I shut down my computer a bit earlier and read a book before going to sleep.
I have a similar situation. Though it also depends on the book and game in question. I don't usually have problems falling asleep after playing True Rememberance, and when I'm in the middle of an interesting novel, my mind will constantly keep thinking up possible scenarios until I finally finish the thing. Meaning it takes me a while before I can surpress it enough to get to sleep.