Study Proves IE Users and People Who Believed Study Are Dumb

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
congratulations, atcheap lost potential customers by calling them stupid.

seriously they could put a message saying "for best performance use either browser A or browser B" when they are using browser C. thats what i've seen on several websites.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Anyone here use safari on a PC? The primary reason I use it is because is has spellcheck as I'm typing. It's also the first one I used with that feature so I've just gotten lazy with it.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Why exactly are they using an online hoax to convince people who in all likelihood never even heard of FF/chrome?

It's the digital equivalent of advertising driving lessons at a car rally.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Even Microsoft admits that people should at least upgrade [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108242-Microsoft-Wants-to-Kill-Internet-Explorer-6-Too] to a more recent version of Explorer.
Admits? They wouldn't shut up when IE 8 came out. They are being less noisy about 9, however.
Rawne1980 said:
Wonder how many people read that while using IE and switched browsers straight away.
I wonder how many people read that, saw it for what it was and just moved on with what they are doing.

There is a logic to this, when you disregard the blatant attempt to be an ass as these people are. Staying with older versions makes you more vulnerable to malware attacks as there are still people putting code in for the older versions, and Microsoft is not maintaining any support for those versions to protect from the malware. It is just plain silly as the latest version that receives updates to protect against attacks is free.
I myself use Chrome as my default, but lately have had to resort to IE as Youtube lately has been crashing my system on Chrome when I try to go fullscreen with a video. On IE it transitions without a hitch. Possibly something on my system alone(seems to be something akin to a runon error) as I haven't heard anyone else's voice on the matter, but when I can just switch over to IE to watch videos on a site owned by Google, I may as well stay with that until I can do what is needed.
The world is a crazy place.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
IE9 is the way forward. Well, I guess 10 is the way forward but 9 does me just fine for now. I've had fewer problems with it than I have with Firefox.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ha, those guys who ran the fake study would fit right in somewhere here at the Escapist.

I really had no idea how much people just outright hated IE until about a year or so ago. It's like the CoD of internet browsers. Highly popular yet gets so much unreal amounts of hate that it's at the point that it's almost accepted that those who play/use it are stupid.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Scytail said:
Jodah said:
canadamus_prime said:
I think the solution here is to stop making websites that are compatible with older browsers. So when someone visits the site using an older browser, just have a message pop up saying "Please upgrade your browser you moron!"

Ok, maybe without the "you moron" part.
Naa, thats the most important part. If they are stupid enough to take offense they don't belong on the internet!
Yeah, but think of the occasional grandmother who logs on her Win95 with a dial-up modem. They dont diserve to be called morons.
Well, maybe she does for the Win95 part. Dial-up is a fair(and even cheaper these days) alternative if you really don't need the extra bandwidth that DSL or Cable offers.
omega 616 said:
I use IE, firefox and chrome. What does that make me?

I have two facebook accounts and 3 e mail addresses so I can be logged into all of them at the same time.

I assume that makes me not so smart.
It makes you resourceful and utilitarian. No system is perfect, and any that says so is only fooling itself. Every browser has its flaws that the others potentially fill in for. I keep IE on my system as a fallback, which came in useful as per my previous post.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Giest4life said:
FalloutJack said:
So, by playing a prank and trying to make others look stupid, they are - in fact - the dumbest people on the planet because they're just being retarded net trolls.
See, I disagree. I think it is a hilarious prank and only serves to show the general level of perversion journalism has steeped in because nobody bothers checking the story.
Ah, but then I must disagree with your disagreement, because pulling an elaborate prank with falsey information like this just makes you a jackass. People don't take anything from it because it was just a dick move, nothing more.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
...There's practically no difference between browsers if your computer isn't shit.

'cept maybe addons and firefox's massive memory leak

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Well they got me. I still stand by my statement that anyone still using IE6 is most likely lacking a few IQ points, as there are so many better browsers out there.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I think the solution here is to stop making websites that are compatible with older browsers. So when someone visits the site using an older browser, just have a message pop up saying "Please upgrade your browser you moron!"

I'd keep the "moron" part...

Heck, as long as it isn't a professional site, chuck in a few MORE expletives depending on browser version (IE6 users demand drastic actions >.>)

Edit:
HerbertTheHamster said:
...There's practically no difference between browsers if your computer isn't shit.
You've only ever used one browser for more then a week haven't you?

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
I have chrome. I have Explorer (8). Maybe because I don't know web programming, but I barely see a difference, so I don't know what the issue is.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Jodah said:
canadamus_prime said:

Naa, thats the most important part. If they are stupid enough to take offense they don't belong on the internet!
Yeah, except it's not very professional to insult the people who are visiting your website.
SoulSalmon said:
I'd keep the "moron" part...

Heck, as long as it isn't a professional site, chuck in a few MORE expletives depending on browser version (IE6 users demand drastic actions >.>)
Well what you do with your website is up to you, but any professional webmaster should know that insulting your potential audience is not a particularly good idea.

...unless you're a rapper apparently.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
We found out that IE6 was highly incompatible with web standards. IE 7.0 and 8.0, though better than 6.0 are still incompatible with not only with the standards, but with each other too.
It's not the people that use Internet Explorer who are idiots, it's the people who made I.E. and by extension, I.E. itself.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Well what you do with your website is up to you, but any professional webmaster should know that insulting your potential audience is not a particularly good idea.
A lot of places do actually GET their audience by insulting them however >.>
A certain Escapist show jumps to mind as well as a plethora of webcomics and satire websites.

But yeah, theres obviously a lot of places that wouldn't be appropriate :p
(Then again... depending on the site do you really even WANT the visits of people still clinging to a version of a terrible browser that's a decade outdated? (Speaking directly about IE6 of course))

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
SoulSalmon said:
canadamus_prime said:
A lot of places do actually GET their audience by insulting them however >.>
A certain Escapist show jumps to mind as well as a plethora of webcomics and satire websites.

But yeah, theres obviously a lot of places that wouldn't be appropriate :p
(Then again... depending on the site do you really even WANT the visits of people still clinging to a version of a terrible browser that's a decade outdated? (Speaking directly about IE6 of course))
Yes I'm aware of that, as I noted with my comment about rappers. However professional web design is not an avenue where that would be appropriate.

As far as I'm concerned the Browser Wars are ancient history. Current web designers should strive to make their sites compatible with at least the top 2 or 3 current web browsers in common use. (The key word there being "current," as in up to date) Internet Explorer (8 or 9), Firefox, and possibly Safari or Opera. The issue here is outdated browsers. It'd be no different if people were still using Netscape Communicator or worse Netscape 4.