Study Reveals Why "Nerds" Get Bullied

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
But you can spot which people are more socially capable from as mile off. Its the same at my college, some people just don't pick up on a lot of body language and tones etc.
These tend to be the people who're less socially capable.

I think there is a fair amount of truth in what this study says, of course i'd love to redo it myself to check how reliable it all is.

That social incapability it seen as a weakness, and makes people a target. After all unless its something personal a bully wouldn't attack someone who has/might have a lot of friends.
Cause we all know bullies are cowardly thugs off to look big by picking on those they see as weak.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Also in the "No shit" category, we have: The Earth is a sphere and fire is hot.

Dominance is a significant factor too. I've been on both sides and I can say that it's pretty much about dominance. The alpha males dominate the weaker ones because they're superior. Notice how when (the non-wimpy of) you fought back, the bullies tended to lay off, that's because your display of dominance has elevated your status in their eyes. Also, no, bullies are not cowards and you can't beat them with brains, as much as you want to think that.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Everyone here should read Paul Graham's take on the subject [http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html]...

Dreyfuss

Nov 8, 2007
Okay, so let's just train the nerds to be like everyone else, instead of training bullies not to be little dicks.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Nerds and geeks are just too cool to want to talk to average people, they feel ignored and need attention so they start bullying to get the attention. Simple.

Don't even start trying to change the kids that are on the receiving end of bullying, seriously wtf lol.

recoverytwo

Sep 27, 2009
I have never been bullied and i have a very good knowledge of expressions , maybe its because i leave my nerd at home and don't go a round talking about videogames all the time.

TheIr0nMike

Mar 3, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
which can lead to isolation, bad grades, substance abuse problems, or awesome videogaming habits.
Well, I've become more social since getting out of high school and I don't go to a school that gives out grades (we'll see next school year); the last two still apply to me, though.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
AvsJoe said:
At least 10% of school-age kids will experience some form of bullying during their lifetime
Bullshit! That number is WAY higher! I'm sorry (wot)but I know that number was either made up on the spot or the data got fudged.
True, true.

Also, STUDY RESULTS SHOW EVVYTHING IS TURU AND U SHUD FOLO THE KOMMUNISTS AND BILEEV BULLSHIT

Arashi500

Sep 19, 2009
I have chosen to be "socially awkward" because quite literaly, if I talk to someone in real life, for more then 5 minutes, 98% chance I will hate them. Not that I really care, as I never cared much for social interaction.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
...we needed scientist to tell us this?
heres the answer: humans are mean, and cruel we will do most anything to get ahead, and make our selves feel okay...

there ya go thats the answer why people get bullied.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
I'm socially awkward, but I was never bullied. I've seen nerds bullied, and the difference between us wasn't really about picking up social cues in general. It was about learning to take a joke. People who got bullied got bullied because they "fed" the bullies with their reactions.

Let's say someone punches a kid on the arm. The type of guy who gets bullied gets bullied because his response is "Ow, my arm! You hit me! Stop that!" Those of us who weren't bullied, socially awkward or not, would still get punched occasionally, but the light-hearted response would avoid further attacks, such as "Kick me" signs, mean jokes, knocking things out of hands, etc.

Come on, look at what I just typed. I'm obviously a nerd, and I can assure you, I'm awkward as hell. I was never bullied, so this article isn't exactly right.
I've seen a situation similar to this though couldn;t you say that learning to "take the joke" is a part of learning social cues

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
this is bull. I have known a lot of kids who got bullied, they got bullied because they were smaller, and often because they moved into the area. most of them are actually better at reading non-verbal cues, prolly because they had to learn when a bully was looking for a beat-down so they could run away. I don't know a single kid who got bullied because he/she couldn't pick up on non-verbal cues.

John Bolt

Mar 26, 2012
I very much agree with the author on this link: http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html
I was considered good enough looking, humorous, very intelligent, and a football player in high school. The one thing I really didn't care much about then was popularity. I still don't. I do truly care about the well being of people; which as everyone knows can make anyone very unpopular. Its popular to tout and spout platitudes, but everybody knows if you hang with the nerds it will give you cooties. (Animal behaviorists will tell you that to be different in the herd is to be pushed to the edges and get eaten first. Personally, I don't wish to be a sheeple.)