Study Shows Facebook Increases Self Esteem

Kegsen

Feb 20, 2011
messy said:
The thing is though that being social creatures (and humans are) then it doesn't really matter who its with to some extent. This is more true of people already of low self esteem, some people grow to great lengths to feel "accepted." Doing it over FB is just another way of doing it. And arguably a better then people who drink loads to have "friends" or have casual sex to feel "wanted." Nothing intrinsically wrong with either of the activities just the reasons behind them might not be too healthy.

In regards to feeling accepted by strangers, isn't that why most of us joined the escapist? We saw a good community or website that we wanted to be apart of?

Also I just block people that have annoying statues like you mentioned. My "news feed" is heavily filtered to the people who post clever, funny or relevant stuff.
I see what you mean, and we`re pretty much on the same page as far as I`m concerned. The need to feel accepted is greater for some than others, and if they want to use facebook for that - and pretty much lie their way to a virtual kick ass self-esteem, then go nuts :)
Forums for me on the other hand, is more about being able to speak my mind on subjects (such as this) and in a miniscule way contribute hopefully in a positive way. But my main grief with FB, as stated, are the flat out lies that so many post as their status/picture updates/bleh bleh and the strange resentment from those who know them well enough to contradict them to actually set the record straight. Because that would somehow be considered cruel? I dunno, just thinking loud here.
(By the way, english is not my primary language so please forgive me grammatical errors and stuff)
But when it comes to blocking statuses/feeds/people...the natural question to that would be: Why on earth are they on your friendslist to begin with? Or the follow-up: Why did you/I/we accept their new friendrequest after deleting them?

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
this study probably contains a kernel of truth. If you take a look at the userbase, several of them have low self-esteem beforehand and compensate real life shortcomings on this virtual platform.

The only important aspect i see in this social network, is a good communication platform if you are a very mobile and well-travelled person who needs to keep intouch with your international acquaintances. Even the aspect regarding job applications of having a representative online-flagship is neglibile now since reputable business networks are well established today.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I feel better every time I go to facebook. I mean just looking at all the selfinvolved meaningless crap people post puts life in perspective for me.
Thank You FB

stiffy

Mar 23, 2010
A visual celebration of the ego makes people happier with themselves? Astonishing!!!!

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
when i saw the title all i could say (think) was, studies show whatever crap the people behind them want them to show, the truth can be twisted to the point where what people like this claim if perfectly meaningless

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
so i'm damned to a life of low self esteem or joining the hideous cancerous mass of insincere interest that is facebook

hrmmm

low self esteem isn't that damaging..............

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
small sample sizes are small. Besides, who wouldn't feel better dicking around on the internet vs starring at a blank monitor?

Perhaps a better control would have been to have a *choice, or randomized* webpage group.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
This result may also owe a bit to the "Facebook culture" a user is accustomed to. On Facebook, you invite (or are invited by) friends, and they form your social circle. Basically, since your social circle is completely "opt-in," you're guaranteed that the people with whom you interact have a relatively positive opinion of you.

Participating in Facebook presents you with the idea that who you are and what you do is important to someone (namely, those people on your list). Now, is this a good or a bad thing?

Part of me says that this could develop the wrong type of self-esteem--the type that is based on how you feel others feel about you. It's a false, externally-driven self-esteem that is based on perceived approval rather than perceived worth. You dress yourself up for the internet, and you're rewarded with attention, so what have you learned? You've learned that dressing yourself up gets you attention, so you need to do more of that.

But part of me also knows that feeling accepted and liked is an important part of a person's self-esteem. Being reminded that you're part of a network of friends is reassuring, and you're better able to cope with stress knowing you won't have to face it alone.

Like all things, it comes down to how it is used. If someone uses Facebook to push an idealized, slightly fabricated "self" on others, the self-esteem they get will be hollow and easily broken in the long run. If someone uses Facebook as a vehicle of honest communication, I can see it being very valuable and helping being real, long-term self-esteem.

EDIT: The basic gist? Facebook's power doesn't come from a person seeing a page about themselves. It comes from them knowing that other people are looking at a page about themselves. That's why blogging replaced diaries for teenagers years ago--the voyeur aspect.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Kegsen said:
messy said:
The thing is though that being social creatures (and humans are) then it doesn't really matter who its with to some extent. This is more true of people already of low self esteem, some people grow to great lengths to feel "accepted." Doing it over FB is just another way of doing it. And arguably a better then people who drink loads to have "friends" or have casual sex to feel "wanted." Nothing intrinsically wrong with either of the activities just the reasons behind them might not be too healthy.

In regards to feeling accepted by strangers, isn't that why most of us joined the escapist? We saw a good community or website that we wanted to be apart of?

Also I just block people that have annoying statues like you mentioned. My "news feed" is heavily filtered to the people who post clever, funny or relevant stuff.
I see what you mean, and we`re pretty much on the same page as far as I`m concerned. The need to feel accepted is greater for some than others, and if they want to use facebook for that - and pretty much lie their way to a virtual kick ass self-esteem, then go nuts :)
Forums for me on the other hand, is more about being able to speak my mind on subjects (such as this) and in a miniscule way contribute hopefully in a positive way. But my main grief with FB, as stated, are the flat out lies that so many post as their status/picture updates/bleh bleh and the strange resentment from those who know them well enough to contradict them to actually set the record straight. Because that would somehow be considered cruel? I dunno, just thinking loud here.
(By the way, english is not my primary language so please forgive me grammatical errors and stuff)
But when it comes to blocking statuses/feeds/people...the natural question to that would be: Why on earth are they on your friendslist to begin with? Or the follow-up: Why did you/I/we accept their new friendrequest after deleting them?
I didn't delete them, just "blocked" them. Just so I couldn't see what they were posting. Deleting I figure can just lead to some awkward questions and I don't want to actively upset someone just because I don't like what they post. Originally I did a bit of that "how many friends can I get" thing just accepting anyone who i knew. I never add strangers though. Although I am more lenient with who I add, I add the majority of people on my uni degree though because if their statues mention something about work etc. it can be useful to me. And it serves as a good way of trying to work out whats going on either socially or academically, just by posting a status that anyone can and most likely will reply to.

Kegsen

Feb 20, 2011
messy said:
Kegsen said:
messy said:

I didn't delete them, just "blocked" them. Just so I couldn't see what they were posting. Deleting I figure can just lead to some awkward questions and I don't want to actively upset someone just because I don't like what they post. Originally I did a bit of that "how many friends can I get" thing just accepting anyone who i knew. I never add strangers though. Although I am more lenient with who I add, I add the majority of people on my uni degree though because if their statues mention something about work etc. it can be useful to me. And it serves as a good way of trying to work out whats going on either socially or academically, just by posting a status that anyone can and most likely will reply to.
First off - if you`re not interested in seeing what they are posting, it really shouldn`t be that much of an awkward question later on. Seeing as they probably would notice that you haven`t liked/commented their posts to begin with, an unfriend wouldn`t go down as a big catastrophe on either part.

The other part you mention, I thoroughly agree with. Using FB as a communications device rather than a "somewhat reliable" self promoting device are on the other hand two different things.
I mean, sending out music/movie/game-suggestion over FB to the people who I know would appreciate that kinda stuff, was simple. One click, a small comment, and wahey - Bob`s your uncle...no matter what country you`re from and if you should so happen to have an uncle named Robert. But in the end, it just felt more and more intrusive. Seeing old pics pop up with your name on them, friend-requests previously denied multiple times still coming in, ex-friends trying do re-friend...etc.

I guess my main gripe with the simplicity of FB comes down to this. After deactivating my account, I for some reason logged on to msn - don`t use it that much - and getting the message: OMG!! You alive? I`ve missed you!! How are you?

The person in question lives 18 kilometres from me. Has my personal phonenumber, workphone, e-mail add...the works. That`s when I realized, that I`d rather be ignored in real life, than missed on facebook

Edit: Somehow it makes more sense now.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Kegsen said:
messy said:
Kegsen said:
messy said:

First off - if you`re not interested in seeing what they are posting, it really shouldn`t be that much of an awkward question later on. Seeing as they probably would notice that you haven`t liked/commented their posts to begin with, an unfriend wouldn`t go down as a big catastrophe on either part.

The other part you mention, I thoroughly agree with. Using FB as a communications device rather than a "somewhat reliable" self promoting device are on the other hand two different things.
I mean, sending out music/movie/game-suggestion over FB to the people who I know would appreciate that kinda stuff, was simple. One click, a small comment, and wahey - Bob`s your uncle...no matter what country you`re from and if you should so happen to have an uncle named Robert. But in the end, it just felt more and more intrusive. Seeing old pics pop up with your name on them, friend-requests previously denied multiple times still coming in, ex-friends trying do re-friend...etc.

I guess my main gripe with the simplicity of FB comes down to this. After deactivating my account, I for some reason logged on to msn - don`t use it that much - and getting the message: OMG!! You alive? I`ve missed you!! How are you?

The person in question lives 18 kilometres from me. Has my personal phonenumber, workphone, e-mail add...the works. That`s when I realized, that I`d rather be ignored in real life, than missed on facebook

Edit: Somehow it makes more sense now.
Meh, that's effort. It much easier just to click "hide" and since the effect to myself is the same I'm not too fussed. Oh yeah make sure people know you exist in the real world, always.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
It's true. When I load up Monster Yard on facebook and use my horde of creatures to storm over the defenses of another player's yard to reap the resources from their storage silos I feel much better about myself.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha!

Kegsen

Feb 20, 2011
The latter - duh :) I`ve even sent mail asking politely "Sorry, but I really don`t remember you. Would you mind telling me how I have a connection to you?" only to get the equivalent of 20 Questions..via FB...prompting me to reply that I alreadly own several gaming paraphernalia.

But I see your point, even though it to me would be(and ultimately became) too hypocritical.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Raven said:
Facebook is a pestilence upon intelligent society. It will be our undoing mark my words...
I honestly don't see why people think this. Its so easy to keep in touch with everyone now, I can actually have a social life without having to work with it.

OT:

I'm guessing it only applies in actual life though, anyone can be self confident behind a screen, after all

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
dogstile said:
Raven said:
Facebook is a pestilence upon intelligent society. It will be our undoing mark my words...
I honestly don't see why people think this. Its so easy to keep in touch with everyone now, I can actually have a social life without having to work with it.
Well enough people think it so it must have some validity right?

Of the 140ish friends I have on facebook, I talk to perhaps 3 on a regular basis, this is because they either live a long way away or we are old (good) friends but haven't seen each other in a while. This is perhaps the only positive of fb I can see.

I don't talk to my actual best friends on facebook, because I make the time to see them IRL.

The remaining 130ish people are those that I'm not exactly friends with, or have added because they were in my class/work/family etc. Seeing these people's inane status's, their constant one-up-manship dramas and knee jerk reactions is utterly exhasperating...

I don't know whether it's due to individual personality to decide whether one loves or loathes fb, but I do know that it is quickly turning into something even worse than myspace and bebo before it...

If the future of human society involves playing out these 'digital life charades', and placing an increasing level of importance on how we use and respond to them, then I am rightfully terrified of what is to come...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Raven said:
dogstile said:
Raven said:
snip
I suppose its how you use it. Facebook is only as bad as you make it. I have 97 people on there, I talk to most of them every month, both IRL and on facebook, so I suppose for me its great.

But if you don't like the other peoples inane statuses, why don't you just, I dunno, not add them?

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
dogstile said:
I suppose its how you use it. Facebook is only as bad as you make it. I have 97 people on there, I talk to most of them every month, both IRL and on facebook, so I suppose for me its great.

But if you don't like the other peoples inane statuses, why don't you just, I dunno, not add them?
Most are social obligations, like work colleagues and college buddies. I can't be arsed with the grief of deleting them and I don't wan't to delete my account because of the friends I do actually speak to on their. I'm just content to spend as little time on there as possible.

If you enjoy it that's cool, but I can't arsed with the constant douchebaggery that fills my news feed every time I log on...