Study: Videogame Addiction Leads to Depression

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Gaming addiction....well, i did suffer from depression once last year but I'm sure as hell it wasn't from games...-. games made me feel better actually.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I think playing videogames is a symptom not the cause

after all, Video games are made to "entertain" the mind, and be an "escape vaulve" for the things one cant do which is what most people depressed want, to get away from their current lives

i remember when i broke up with my ex wife i got into my room and stayed there for a week playing "Prototipe", i just needed to unwhind, but when i noticed a week had passed i gave the console to my dad and asked him not to give it to me for a month

needless to say i stopped my "addictive behaviour" on my own, but i can see how younger kids might have had a harder time spotting the simpthoms of depression.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Im sure that when i've been feeling down i've gone and played some games but sometimes i probably can't be bothered to, hell if im feeling down i dont feel like doing anything so playing something like an MMO is just tedious and would make me feel worse. Of all the things said in the report the only thing that seems related to me is work performance but im just going to put that down to adolescent laziness.
At the end of the day if you know that you can do stuff IRL aswell as in gaming then you wont get as bogged down compared to those who lack social skills. Hell i spend the majority of my time playing BC2 and have somehow managed to find a girl haha.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
All bad habits can lead to depression. That moment when they realize they are in a hole they dug them self and they need to get out can lead to some pretty poor feelings about ones self. Not to mention if you play games most of the time out of the week you are likely out of shape and that can contribute when you realize how much time you wasted when you could have done something else.

Any overuse of a hobby, substance, or bad habit can lead to depression and will likely then be either ignored and toughed out or seek help. Either way it can be broken free of.

Now i am no doctor but i play one in video games so here is my view on the subject.

As a result of playing video games more than focusing on their future teenagers will likely face some moderate to small form of depression Close to the age of 17, 18, and maybe 16 depending on the person. This causes them to realize they play to much, have put on too much weight, and have ignored the opportunity to get work and move out. This is another blow to a crumbling wall because an over weight*even if not by much) teenager with a bad habit of playing games too much will see a bleak future ahead. Too out of shape for the military, surrounded by a bad environment they will see no out and will send them down further unless they get to work for themselves and fix it with some confidence having noticed what they did in video games when they put their abilities to it. Most times they go back to games to deal with the depression and the cycle begins anew at the next birthday or when they hit a moment of clarity sometime later in the year.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
As much as Scientists are some of the most rational minds our world has to offer, they really can be irrational fuckwits sometimes.

Too much of ANYTHING can lead to depression. Everything in moderation, even moderation.

Is there really even a need for this "study" to be taking place? Really?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
There's no such thing as videogame addiction, there is only addiction, because it lies solely within the individual.

I play a lot of videogames, more than most people and I'm perfectly happy.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Greg Tito said:
What the study fails to test if the depression is the cause of the video game playing.

The study didn't indicate if say the children in question are be socially rejected (and are now depressed) and have turned to their hobby to escape the real world.

It would be like seeing that the teenagers that are not in school drink the most coffee, then concluding that coffee kills braincells and makes kids go out of school. What is equally likely that is happening is that teenagers that dropped out just have the time to drink more coffee.

Ersanven

Apr 6, 2010
I found my life was a lot better when I was hardcore gaming. When I slipped into other things and wasn't gaming as much is when I got really depressed and anxious about things.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
SantoUno said:
I only get depressed from playing games because it feels like I just wasted my time.

I still have fun though.
As a wise old Ghoul once said, before going off to become a hooker:

'Time wasted on something you enjoy is not wasted time'

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
Except for the fact that it, you know, doesn't.

If people are depressed it is their own fault.
Not really, it's the chemical imbalance's fault.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I think that people with depression already had the problem prior to playing games. The goes for people who lack the self control to turn the game off. These are social problems that are more noticeable with gaming activity (imho).

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
Woodsey said:
I'm pretty sure that "game addiction" isn't even officially recognised as an actual addiction.
I'd have to disagree. I do know people who put video games in front of other important things when prioritizing.

And I'm sure it does cause depression, but I try to counteract it with physical activity, and it seems to be working decently for me.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
You cant really apply a study done too strictly children define everyone who plays games. Kind of wonky imo.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
MiracleOfSound said:
SomethingAmazing said:
Except for the fact that it, you know, doesn't.

If people are depressed it is their own fault.
Not really, it's the chemical imbalance's fault.
They say it is a chemical imbalance to make it seem like it isn't their fault. It helps them fool themselves into thinking that they aren't a total failure. From what I can tell, it is fairly effective. So no reason not to continue this practice.
Wow.

I've read some dumb things on this site recently, but this wins hands down.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
My question in return to answer you is, dont most addictions lead to depression?
My thoughts exactly, remove the word 'videogame' from the title and the only response possible is "No duh." I guess this is more to 'prove' it's possible to get addicted to videogames, rather than the obvious addiction -> depression connection.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I think any kind of addiction is going to lead to psychological issues, so really its not surprising to find a link between the two.