Stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Post stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020.
Hard-mode : Classics or stuff that was made by people who'd be very offended by it nowadays

I'll start with an easy one:

Mel Gibson? Check
God's gift to women? Check
90s narrator 'about to discover'?Check
Hotel? Trivago.

Here's another one with a 90s narrator:

Chandler pretends to be gay to get laid.
Also there's a scene of a bunch of cocks (roosters) jumping at him.
Also that smile at the end. *chef's kiss*

Romantic Comedies are a gold-mine:

Constanza in his natural habitat, finding tiny imperfections in hot women.
The solution to Incels in one movie.
Also, 90s narrator.

My favorite action B-movie:

Nobody would get the satire nowadays... *sigh*
Jingoism? check. Fascism? check. Neil Patrick Harris in seamless segue meme bits? super check.

Reactions: gorfias

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
People didn't understand the satire of Starship Troopers when it first came out.

In regards to your thread, almost anything from the days before social media really. Lots of early youtubers are getting canceled for something they said back in the early days, even though those same people have been watching them from the beginning.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
All of the 80s comedies that play sex crimes for laughs.
Hopefully this.

I suspect a lot of films and themes "you couldn't get away with" nowdays are rather ones "you couldn't get away with without someone on the internet calling you out", which is not quite the same thing.

People didn't understand the satire of Starship Troopers when it first came out.
To be fair, this seems to be true of some of the people involved with the movie (not to mention the book itself not being a satire).

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
A lot of classic rock and roll songs. As much as I love the genre of music, the amount of songs featuring; cheating on girlfriends with sisters, dating under aged girls, and even just straight up murdering their significant other is staggeringly high. The most particularly egregious example that I came across in my own music collection recently is this little "love" ballad by Mötley Crüe:

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
They definitely couldn't get away with this:

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Most still don't. It's not common knowledge. It's film buff knowledge. Most people still don't get that Robocop is satire, either.
There are people that take OG Robocop as is? WHAT?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
1982's "The Toy."

Richard Pryor, a poor, black reporter, is "purchased" by white millionaire Jackie Gleason as a literal toy for his spoiled brat son. Great film; would never fly today.

1599565977598.png

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Of more recent vintage, the film Tropic Thunder.

Considering that they barely "got away" with it in 2008, I don't think Robert Downey Jr. doing blackface for nearly an entire film (even though it was a prolonged piss take of method actors) would fly in today's environment without string up some controversy. Oh yeah, also the film's portrayal of those with developmental disabilities. And the frequent use of the word "retard".

Nobody would get the satire nowadays... *sigh*
Jingoism? check. Fascism? check. Neil Patrick Harris in seamless segue meme bits? super check.
I'm amazed that anyone could look at Neil Patrick Harris dressed up as an SS officer and not realize that the film is satire.
They definitely couldn't get away with this:
He should look at Federation crime statistics

Reactions: Kae

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Avengers 197-199 never should have happened. Movie Bob did a good think piece on it some time ago.
1599575952891.png

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

'He didn't give up, he got down.'

Eesh.
Ugh, yeah; "good" one. I recall watching this back in the '80s, and thinking how incredulous it was even then, and I was like 8 years old. Overt offense aside, he looks nothing like a black person. Not sure if that's what they were going for, but given the '80s movies' heavy leaning on suspension of disbelief, I doubt there was anything tongue-in-cheek or self-aware here; they probably legit felt painting the whitest looking person they could find in brown skin sold the premise.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ugh, yeah; "good" one. I recall watching this back in the '80s, and thinking how incredulous it was even then, and I was like 8 years old. Overt offense aside, he looks nothing like a black person. Not sure if that's what they were going for, but given the '80s movies' heavy leaning on suspension of disbelief, I doubt there was anything tongue-in-cheek or self-aware here; they probably legit felt painting the whitest looking person they could find in brown skin sold the premise.
'Yeah, but jerry curls are so quaint, and look, now he's wearing sunglasses and moving his head side to side. This practically writes itself. And the audience will know he's white, so it'll be funny and not intimidating.' - someone in the 80's

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
A lot of classic rock and roll songs. As much as I love the genre of music, the amount of songs featuring; cheating on girlfriends with sisters, dating under aged girls, and even just straight up murdering their significant other is staggeringly high. The most particularly egregious example that I came across in my own music collection recently is this little "love" ballad by Mötley Crüe:
Now we have WAP.
Much wetter... I mean better.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

'He didn't give up, he got down.'

Eesh.
As I recall, it did have some very PC elements to it. Dunno if it could be made today but the character thinks racism is over. It's "the Cosby decade". He finds out otherwise. He also meets a young woman whose opportunity he stole. He isn't just involved in some harmless mischief. He has hurt someone.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
This is beautiful and I dread the world where it couldn't have been made

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This is beautiful and I dread the world where it couldn't have been made
Eh, this could fly today. Blind and deaf people aren't traditionally marginalized demographics that a movie spoofing the conditions would be that offensive. Mind you, I'm not saying there wouldn't be a group of hypersensitive people who'd attempt to "cancel" it, but I doubt enough to paint it in any light other than its lighthearted nature. Actually, one could argue that these characters could be idolized, striving for normalcy and fairness despite strict disadvantages.

I should probably keep my voice down lest someone in Hollywood overhear and try to remake this classic.