Stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Eh, this could fly today. Blind and deaf people aren't traditionally marginalized demographics that a movie spoofing the conditions would be that offensive. Mind you, I'm not saying there wouldn't be a group of hypersensitive people who'd attempt to "cancel" it, but I doubt enough to paint it in any light other than its lighthearted nature. Actually, one could argue that these characters could be idolized, striving for normalcy and fairness despite strict disadvantages.

I should probably keep my voice down lest someone in Hollywood overhear and try to remake this classic.
There's a French flick which I like very much, and I was surprised it was made into an American version.

The French version is much better

OH GOD NO I DIDN'T REALIZE THERE WAS THIS FUCKING ENGLISH NARRATOR REEEEEEEEE

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
There's a French flick which I like very much, and I was surprised it was made into an American version.

The French version is much better

OH GOD NO I DIDN'T REALIZE THERE WAS THIS FUCKING ENGLISH NARRATOR REEEEEEEEE
Actually, Starbuck is a Quebecois movie. There is also a French remake though, it's called Fonzy.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Mrs. Doubtfire most likely.

View attachment 795

Damn me and my sisters loved watching that.
Nah, Mrs. Doubtfire would be fine today. It's not making light of, fun of or denigrating cross-dressing or anyone in the LGBTQ community, so I wouldn't imagine there'd be much to raise eyebrows about. Williams' brother in the film is kinda flamboyantly homosexual, but not a caricature of homosexuality by any stretch, so I think even he'd get a pass.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Nah, Mrs. Doubtfire would be fine today. It's not making light of, fun of or denigrating cross-dressing or anyone in the LGBTQ community, so I wouldn't imagine there'd be much to raise eyebrows about. Williams' brother in the film is kinda flamboyantly homosexual, but not a caricature of homosexuality by any stretch, so I think even he'd get a pass.
See... I agree with you, but I think you underestimate the degrees people will go to to be outraged over something when we already have people trying to paint Alien as a racist movie.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dunno, I remember people recentlyish being annoyed that people find men dressing as women inherently funny, though that's not necessary for the film.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Avengers 197-199 never should have happened. Movie Bob did a good think piece on it some time ago.
View attachment 792
This was awful. When she comes back and tears the Avengers a new one for letting this happen was the only good thing about the whole story.

Also, remember when they tried to rehabilitate Hank 'Wifebeater' Pym? They took that way too casually

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

You got alcoholism, a baby smoking, implied sex between a regular person and a cartoon character, the execution of the cutest shoe who dies crying in agony, a native American bullet that makes stereotypical "indian" hoots, someone getting shot in the back, a guy getting slowly crushed by a steamroller... And all of that in a movie that also features Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck in the "flesh". Yeah, this'll never fucking happen ever again.

Also, it's a genre movie only starring rather unattractive (by Hollywood standards), middle-aged people. When's the last time that's happened?

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

You got alcoholism, a baby smoking, implied sex between a regular person and a cartoon character, the execution of the cutest shoe who dies crying in agony, a native American bullet that makes stereotypical "indian" hoots, someone getting shot in the back, a guy getting slowly crushed by a steamroller... And all of that in a movie that also features Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck in the "flesh". Yeah, this'll never fucking happen ever again.

Also, it's a genre movie only starring rather unattractive (by Hollywood standards), middle-aged people. When's the last time that's happened?
I was going to try and post an argument to refute this until I hit the names Mickey and Donald Duck and yeah, it would never fly. The mega-corporation/money printing machine it is these days would never allow their "kid friendly image" side of them be used like that.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Would Howard the Duck be banned for sex between an animal and human? That was pretty gross.

But then I feel sad for poor little Rocket. Or even Groot. They need some loving

Edit: Whats with the steamroller thing? Teen Titans Go had most of the heroes being killed, put into a pie and then eaten by friends on the second episode. Thats only a few years ago

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I was going to try and post an argument to refute this until I hit the names Mickey and Donald Duck and yeah, it would never fly. The mega-corporation/money printing machine it is these days would never allow their "kid friendly image" side of them be used like that.
The movie is on Disney+ though, so at least they're not trying to bury it on anything. You can watch Return to Oz there too, which is even more freaky.
Would Howard the Duck be banned for sex between an animal and human? That was pretty gross.
Well, they didn't actually have sex in the movie, but they do become a thing at the end, so yeah... What can you say; it's the 80's. And honestly, I'm quite okay with weird shit like this. Tank Girl getting with a kangaroo man, fine. Tony Shalhoub getting with an alien squid, more power to 'm. Maybe that's just me being a child of the 80's though.

But then I feel sad for poor little Rocket. Or even Groot. They need some loving
Something tells me Groot is not the most.. hormonal of individuals. And Rocket could just go to one of those robot prostitutes from Guardians 2. Now that I mention it, James Gunn got away with putting hookers in a Marvel movie.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Funny: the two leads in this are not middle aged, but they are very normal looking people. This is juxtaposed with them speaking to each other as if he's 007 and she's a "Bond girl" which is very disorientating! Might be part of why this unusual and beautiful movie did such poor box office.

But yeah. Could Richard Dreyfus be a leading man in today's Hollywood?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I don't think there's anything you can't get away with, people are just CHOOSING to submit themselves to critics and not go on doing some things when by all means they could keep doing them. All that changed is that people are less likely to just keep a firm lip as they ignore complainers and go on doing the art they want to do. They still can do that though, and the ones who do go on to keep doing that are seeing great success.

A great example is Ghost of Tsushima, where the western devs (the Infamous devs) didn't listen to the complainers that cry about "cultural appropriation" every time someone picks a costume to dress up in from a foreign to them civilization, and went on to make an authentic Samurai game akin to the period drama genre Kurosawa pioneered, and not only is the game amazing but people recognize it being that and is has sold super strongly, to the chagrin of the people who want "cultural appropriation" to be a thing. Even people in Japan love the game and celebrate it as authentic, which incidentally infuriates the complainers even more.

Good.

Last edited:

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Something tells me Groot is not the most.. hormonal of individuals. And Rocket could just go to one of those robot prostitutes from Guardians 2. Now that I mention it, James Gunn got away with putting hookers in a Marvel movie.
Rocket has a sentient Otter girlfriend called Lylla in the comics, and I believe the movies had an easter egg acknowledging the fact that she existed.

Off the top of my head, probably Temple of Doom because of how horribly racist parts of it were. ('chilled monkey brains').

Though by the same token, I can't imagine a modern action blockbuster would include something as horrific and traumatising as the Ark being Opened from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Pretty much South Park, Dave Chapelle, and these cartoons. I can't wait for this cancel fad to pass away so we can actually have fun content like before. Most of the canceleres have made offensive jokes like these in the past, but get mad when it's on TV.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Not claiming they're anyone worth listening to but the article does exist so...

Wow, so I was curious how Alien was racist and got as far as "Two examples of this are Ridley Scott’s Alien, which comports with the trope of Black women as alien breeders and Predator, written by brothers Jim and John Thomas, that riffs on images of Black men as dreadlocked, violent and superhuman." before I felt my brain start leaking from my ears.

Reactions: BrawlMan