Stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pretty much South Park, Dave Chapelle, and these cartoons. I can't wait for this cancel fad to pass away so we can actually have fun content like before. Most of the canceleres have made offensive jokes like these in the past, but get mad when it's on TV.
Drawn Together was fun, but I felt they went overboard on the 3rd season. That's nothing compared to the shitty movie that came out and used flash animation. It's only point to be offensive and disgusting without making a point. The needless take that to South Park was not helping. Even a lot of Drawn Together fans don't like the movie.

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Pretty much South Park, Dave Chapelle, and these cartoons. I can't wait for this cancel fad to pass away so we can actually have fun content like before. Most of the canceleres have made offensive jokes like these in the past, but get mad when it's on TV.
Err, those are still going fine, what you on about? South park creators even tried to cancel their own show and failed; https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/...cancelsouthpark-campaign-season-24-confirmed/

Crazy ass pearl-clutching here for sure.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Didn't Dave Chapelle sorta cancel himself when he found out that he was popular amongst a very different demographic than intended who were laughing at something very different to what he intended? That is, he wouldn't have done it in the first place if he known how it would have gone.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Didn't Dave Chapelle sorta cancel himself when he found out that he was popular amongst a very different demographic than intended who were laughing at something very different to what he intended? That is, he wouldn't have done it in the first place if he known how it would have gone.
If we are talking about the Chappelle show, sort of. He cancelled his own show pretty much because he saw that they weren't going to let him make the show he wanted to make and walked.

What's funny now is that he is one of Netflix's more popular comedic stand up acts they have in their line up of stand up comedians doing specials.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean fuck 2020 can't even get away with being in 2020. I saw an article, not from the Onion, of a Rhode Island university that is considering removing a WW2 mural because it doesn't depict enough diversity, even though it's based off the specific GI that went there on the GI bill, not a larger representation of WW vets as a whole.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oh man, how did I forget Handi-Man?!? He would NEVER fly today, and frankly, I'm surprised he flew (literally and figuratively, har-har-har) in the '90s. It's kinda hard to watch again this many years later despite laughing my ass off as a teen. In Living Color would be cancelled so fast for this character...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Always Sunny in Philadelphia is more risque than most of the stuff that's been posted so far, and that's being made in 2020.

It's not the subject matter exactly. You need self-awareness, and to not keep hitting old shitty tropes.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Always Sunny in Philadelphia is more risque than most of the stuff that's been posted so far, and that's being made in 2020.

It's not the subject matter exactly. You need self-awareness, and to not keep hitting old shitty tropes.
I recently caught up watching IASIP having missed the past 4 seasons or so, and man, they certainly ratcheted up the raunchy in the later years. Hope it's not an indication that they've run out of steam and are approaching shark-jumping territory.

I started the series over after finishing the most recent season, and you can definitely see a difference between then and now. They've lost some subtlety and cleverness in lieu of more in-your-face, shock gags. They went from a group of friends with some awkward quirks and a wealth of bad ideas to a gang of sociopathic heathens with no sense or moral compass. It's like every character has been Flanderized, but at least it was a slow boil involving SOME development over time; it wasn't like the writers saw how much people liked "stupid Charlie" in season 2, so they lobotomized him for season 3.

I still like the show, probably my favorite, but had I started the series around season 10 or 11, it'd probably not have held my attention.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Fittingly because the whole purpose of that entire sequence is to show that Ermey is a terrible drill instructor - because a sensible one would have flunked Vincent D’Ofrino on the grounds that he’s going mad. Or at least when told by Joker he’s in the head with a loaded rifle, called the MP’s to sort him out.

It’s still great cinema, but I don’t see anything in it you wouldn’t do today to be honest. In fact most of the stuff that’s been posted would still potentially be in a movie, but you don’t see it because most of it would earn the movie an R rating and those aren’t made as much because most profit is in the PG-13 wide release sector.

Reactions: thebobmaster

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fittingly because the whole purpose of that entire sequence is to show that Ermey is a terrible drill instructor...
Ermey was an actual Marine drill instructor prior to his acting career, so you can't get much more authentic that that. Video below is another Marine validating that Ermey's portrayal was legit. I think the purpose of the scene was to show the stress those cadets were under and add some gravitas/rationalization to D'Onofrio's mental breakdown, not necessarily bring Ermey's capability into question.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ermey was an actual Marine drill instructor prior to his acting career, so you can't get much more authentic that that. Video below is another Marine validating that Ermey's portrayal was legit. I think the purpose of the scene was to show the stress those cadets were under and add some gravitas/rationalization to D'Onofrio's mental breakdown, not necessarily bring Ermey's capability into question.

I am aware of Ermey's career. That doesn't mean his character didn't grossly mishandle D'Onofrio. That man had no business being a marine and should have been drummed out long before he took the most fatal trip to the head he's ever taken. And I agree it was authentic. Was. As in, no longer. Senseless abuse does not build cohesion; just resentment. Training is harsh - as it should be, soldiering is hard work - but it is purposeful and directed. Mistakes are addressed and it is explained why they are mistakes.

Full Metal Jacket is a movie you wouldn't make again because A) Kubrick did it right the first time, and B) its been fifty years and certain aspects of military training and enlistment have changed. It has nothing to do with Ermey's creative, foul mouthed verbosity.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This might be something you used not to be able to get away with anymore, but you might again, but at least in the early 21st century, it was bad form to make films about brave Afghans fighting a technologically superior invader.

That bit at the end of The Living Daylights where a bunch of muhajideen with all their guns say "Sorry we're late, we had some trouble at the airport" in particular comes to mind.

Reactions: Absent

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
They tried to put him in a dress

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware of Ermey's career. That doesn't mean his character didn't grossly mishandle D'Onofrio. That man had no business being a marine and should have been drummed out long before he took the most fatal trip to the head he's ever taken.
It's the Vietnam war.

I feel like the point of the sequence is that they don't care, they just want warm bodies to hold rifles.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's the Vietnam war.

I feel like the point of the sequence is that they don't care, they just want warm bodies to hold rifles.
There was that too, but I lack a lot of context for that deep a drill down to military minutiae of the era, so didn’t bring it up.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
When was the last time in media that you say police in general, as a hostile force; or the military, as an organization, being generally malevolent? Especially when the protagonists do not belong to either organization?

Can't get away with that in the USA in 2020.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
When was the last time in media that you say police in general, as a hostile force; or the military, as an organization, being generally malevolent? Especially when the protagonists do not belong to either organization?

Can't get away with that in the USA in 2020.
Winter Soldier?