Stupid Beyond Relief Reviews: Clive Barker's Undying

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
SBR Reviews

Many of you have heard of the failure-of-a-horror game Clive Barker's Jericho but a few would have heard and even less would have played the 2001 EA horror game Clive Barker's Undying. Which is a mighty shame since this game is a gem of a horror game.

[img_inline align="left" width=350 height=260 Caption="The Covenant Family. Clockwise from center: Jeremiah, Lizbeth, Ambrose, Bethany and Aaron."]http://www.virtualreality.ca/images/Undying-1_800x600.jpg[/img_inline]

The story is moulded by Clive Barker himself so it was as expected very well written(we're assuming Jericho doesn't even exist, obviously) and the characters were fantastically developed. The story is focused on Patrick Galloway, an Irish World War I veteran turned paranormal adventurer who investigates strange occult occurrences at his friend, Jeremiah Covenant's manor. There he learns of a family curse which has already claimed the life of Jeremiah's siblings and now, he (Jeremiah) fears for his life. Now it is up to Patrick to put an end to the curse once and for all. However to do this, he must face-off against the undead reincarnates of Jeremiah's siblings and Otto Keisinger, an evil rival who simply wants to gain power from the demonic forces inhabiting the manor.

The game was a refreshing change of pace from the usual sci-fi stuff which happens all too often in modern horror game (I'm looking at you Doom, Dead Space). It went back to the classical magic-occult storyline which fortunately has not been used to death in the video game industry.

[img_inline align="right" width=180 height=170 Caption="Aaron. The artist of the family."]http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q1/undying/haunt.jpg[/img_inline]

The game gave me my first introduction into horror games and it did not disappoint me in any way. In fact, at the time of this writing, so far no horror game has come even a little bit close to what this game offered in terms of experience. It had all the elements of horror and puzzle-solving lovingly mixed together. It even had a kill-cam! It worked like this: every enemy has a distinct method of killing and if you run out of health in the middle of battle, then the game presents a cinematic view of what the enemies do to Patrick afterwards. It's nasty. The enemies are as super-natural as they get as you battle demons, trolls, Cathulhu offspring, skeletons and your run-of-the-mill pirates. It's a horror extravaganza. The puzzles are moderately difficult and the encounters with demons are great. Although, the skeletons are overpowered and look very scary in the dark corridors.

[img_inline align="left" width=350 height=260 Caption="The curse's affects on the Covenant Family."]http://www.virtualreality.ca/images/Undying-2_800x600.jpg[/img_inline]

The boss battles are the stars of the horror show. They are really tense and you need to time your attacks perfectly in order to win. Otherwise, you might as well get used to watching a cinematic sequence of Patrick getting brutally mutilated.

This game incorporates System Shock 2's mechanic of dual wield. You have fun, bombastic weapons in one hand and awesome spells in the other. This adds to the tense moments of battle where you have to quickly attack your enemies while keeping an eye on your health, ammo and mana(your magic ammo). As you progress through the game you will find magic crystals and scrolls in almost every level which upgrade your spells to bigger, better versions. These are very important finds as the game gets harder later, so you must be prepared.

CONCLUSION:

Fun to play and as scary as a horror game can ever get. EVER. APPROVED!

[sub]Firstly, comment! And feel free to critique. :3
Secondly, if you have any suggestion on what game/anime/movie I should review next, you can post your suggestions and I'll try my ever best to entertain the requests.
Thirdly, if you would like to look up an old review, visit the Remains of the Day Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Remains-of-the-Day] for the review index, likewise if you would like to remain up-to-date on the reviews posted, join it![/sub]

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Good review mParadox.
I could have easily mistaken it for one of the Escapist's official reviews.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
TheDoctor455 said:
Good review mParadox.
I could have easily mistaken it for one of the Escapist's official reviews.
Thank you! *bows*

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I agree with all of these points, it's the scariest game ever, especially on this HD laptop I got.

And good review, it got it's points across well and wasn't a wall of text :D

ComradeQ

Oct 29, 2010
I remember getting it on sale at Barnes and Noble (strange place to find a PC game). The plot was so good and the ending left so much room for a sequel! Instead of working on Undying II, Barker apparently is working on another Jericho. Such a shame.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
ComradeQ said:
Instead of working on Undying II, Barker apparently is working on another Jericho. Such a shame.
You're kidding right? D: That's.... so very terrible.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Definitely an under appreciated game. I simply couldn't finish the game I was so scared playing it nine years ago. A second one would likely be scarier than Amnesia.