Stupid Phrases

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
[rant]
Recently, a lot of people I know have been using the phrase "I'm too lazy" as a viable excuse for not doing something.
Example:
1)Hey, could you hand me my ____?
2)It's right next to you
1)Yeah, but I'm too lazy

That's equivalent to saying "I don't want to," which is not a viable excuse.
Sometimes I hear it used with the intent of comedy, but your unwillingness to get off your ass does not make me laugh.

A LOT of songs use "tonight" or "in the night" randomly, without any context. It makes no sense at all.
[/rant]

So, my question to the Escapist: What phrases annoy you the most?

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
It annoys me when people put IMO in when they say stuff. I just find it unnecessary and I think it makes people look like dicks.

AssButt

Aug 25, 2009
But not wanting to do something is a perfectly valid excuse for not doing something.

AssButt

Aug 25, 2009
ultrachicken said:
AssButt said:
But not wanting to do something is a perfectly valid excuse for not doing something.
Ah, but not when you expect someone else to do it for you.
In the case that someone defers a task to me out of laziness I usually respond with "I'll do it eventually", that usually makes them do it because they can't hound you anymore to do it since you just agreed to do it, but on your timeline (which is actually never).

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I get really annoyed when someone says "no smoke without a fire". That is just a stupid idiom.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
People who say "the exact same". You don't need both words there, just one will do. Thank you very much!

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
I hate the use of certain internet meems in the everyday vancular like "Epic fail or Epic win"

Yes, the nerds of my generation made those terms popular, but please leave them and their meem bretheren on the internet until they die from obscurity -_-

I've also grown tired of hearing people saying "True, true that" or (my favorite) "That's so dank!!" (used to discribe something positive, despite the fact "dank" means damp, muggy, humid,depressing ect).

Hide those dictonaries! Pretty soon they'll start saying things like "OMG, that's so atrocious!! Sweet!!"

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
"Get over it", or "snap out of it"

Then again, maybe I'm biased. People used to say those words A LOT before I was officially diagnosed with bipolar. Now I can say:

"I can't. Snap out of your own self-important world, loser!"

xdgt

Apr 27, 2010
Had an argument with a girl once - she wanted me to bring her some fruit or something from the fridge at which point we argued who was lazier... i guess we both were since noone got that fruit.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Hate it when people say "Chill out." Or "Stop crying." Or "QQ." I especially despise that last one. You know what, I'm not crying. I'm complaining. In a very manly way, too! There is a difference, and you're an idiot for being unable to spot it.

When you're crying, you're sad about something, when you're angry - You're *Surprise!* angry! Wow! That was SOOOOO difficult, wasn't it!

Argh! Illiterate little bastards. Grit teeth..

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
Hmm, a phrase I hear very often to the point of annoying me?

"I don't wanna see that! Put your pants back on!"

Oh, I see what you mean... no, I can't think of anything right now...

PsionicAtlas

Apr 7, 2010
"Cool Beans" and "Awesome sauce", I have threatened my best friend with a frying pan on various occasions because of him saying that.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
"Yeah, no"
Or
"Same difference".

I also get very annoyed if someone misuses the word "literally".

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009

OK but in all seriousness: I can't stand when people use the phrase 'same difference'. Like...

"Link possesses the Triforce."
"No, Link only has a piece of it."
"Same difference."

...because NO it is NOT the same difference: The same difference would be that Link isn't in possession of a rocket-propelled grenade launcher...of time

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Prefacing anything with "d'ya wanna" is a surefire way to make me want to stab you.
My brother does it all the time. "D'ya wanna make me food", "d'ya wanna give me ten euros", "d'ya wanna get me that [whatever]".
No I don't fucking want to do anything for you piss off