Stupid sexist advert

Insanity_Zero

May 19, 2010
They're called Slim Jims.

I think it's more about the fact that he is riding on a scooter rather than her driving. A scooter is far, FAR, from manly and no man in his right mind would ever get on one. Unless he really had to.

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
Those Slim Jim ads are stupid and annoying, but not sexist or offensive in any way (unless you count being so dumb that it's offensive to intelligent people).

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
maninahat said:
I'm borrowing someone's apple laptop, so naturally I'm using the Safari and not able to block ads. This is a big problem, because my Escapist videos are all preceded by stupid, unstoppable adverts.
You know that using adblockers can get you a suspension on this site, right?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
But the guy has his arms around what appears to be a super model (who has her own transport), how can this guy be deficient of man points? It isn't even his scooter!

Nah, still don't get it. Must be a cultural thing.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Mandalore_15 said:
maninahat said:
I'm borrowing someone's apple laptop, so naturally I'm using the Safari and not able to block ads. This is a big problem, because my Escapist videos are all preceded by stupid, unstoppable adverts.
You know that using adblockers can get you a suspension on this site, right?
I didn't technically admit to using ad blockers, if it is really an issue.

PS, why is it an issue? I've never heard of it before.

Silverfox99

May 7, 2011
Every time I see that I can't help but think that I would rather on the back of the scooter with my arms around a woman than in the ambulance with two scruffy guys trying to offer me their meat sticks.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Eh, I'm not going to give the advert the credit to be smart enough to be legitimately pernicious. I mean honestly, do we really give a shit about what is and isn't considered 'manly' in this day and age? It's just the lowest common denominator of appealing to the frat boy mentality, whose only appeal will be to people who already are chauvanistic shitheads, so I wouldn't worry about it.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Nothing wrong with that advert, it's just a tongue-in-cheek play on manliness and mopeds are about as unmanly as you can get lol. Me thinks you fell from the tree of sensitivity and into the bush of over-reaction ;o)

ZeroMachine said:
I believe I'm seeing an addmittance to add blockers. That's against forum rules.
Good job spelling isn't though huh?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
CannibalCorpses said:
Nothing wrong with that advert, it's just a tongue-in-cheek play on manliness and mopeds are about as unmanly as you can get lol. Me thinks you fell from the tree of sensitivity and into the bush of over-reaction ;o)

ZeroMachine said:
I believe I'm seeing an addmittance to add blockers. That's against forum rules.
Good job spelling isn't though huh?
D'aw, derp, did I really do that? XD

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
To an extent you are right, but it's more about the embarrassment of a man rather than a negative depiction of a woman as having to "be in her place", since two accepted cultural norms are that men should avoid being passengers as we are meant to be the leader in any given situation as well as the fact that it's a man riding a scooter, what is considered by the more masculine oriented grouping of men to be a motorbike for women, meaning that the depiction of that man on his girlfriends scooter is reliant on showing him as both forfeiting his inherent responsibility to lead and control, a somewhat sexist but forgivable goal and forfeiting that right by riding what is considered one of the most emasculating vehicles in existence.

This is based on your description, I possibly get different ads to you (Australian) but from what you're saying the ad is just following that "BE MANLY BY DOING MAN STUFF" method that a lot of ads are moving towards when targeting younger men. It is somewhat old fashioned, but as an ideal men riding as a passenger on a scooter can, in a modern society, still be seen as an emasculating experience, and an acceptable way to highlight the implied masculinity of the product through showing who, according to the product, needs it.

So overall, no matter the context of the ad, most men would recognize being a passenger on a scooter to be embarrassing through it's depiction of power in the relationship (woman in control) so while a little sexist in that way, it's mostly harmless and childish.

bizentine

Aug 29, 2011
My initial reaction to the ad was I'd rather be the scrawny guy on the scooter with my arms around a chick who's at LEAST a 9 or a 10, than chubby and riding around with some other bloke in a vehicle called the "MAN-bulance."

This is why I eat jacks links. That, and they taste better.

Insanity_Zero

May 19, 2010
It's because it's a SCOOTER. It doesn't matter if there was two supermodels on that thing and the guy himself was freakin' Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, or hell, even Sean Connery. It just isn't manly to be on a Scooter.
Ever.

bigredlyms

May 25, 2010
maninahat said:
am I just being neurotic about this shit?
yes, and im assuming also that you arent from america because you referred to them as spicy meat stick things. slim jims are supposed to be synonymous with manliness so they make their commercials over the top. the reason i think youre just being neurotic is because the commercial isnt sexist at all actually. in no way does it demean women. what it does do is strengthen gender roles and social "order," it doesnt talk about the women at all. essentially it is homophobic in nature.