Stupid sexist advert

Creamygoodness

Aug 9, 2010
I think the slim-jim videos are fun and funny. The best part of the scooter video is it lets you decide what is wrong with situation which, dare I say means your the one with the sexist thoughts maninahat.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I do hate those commercials, for those who don't know, other commercials make fun of Men for eating salad and trading in his sports car for a mini van for the sake of his family. It is 100% trying to tell you how to act like your gender and is offensive to both genders. The slogan is "made form stuff guys need", you are less of a man, and you need to eat slim jim to become a man again.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
JackSparrowSucks said:
>> Woman has valid complaint about a sexist ad.
>> "DURR YOU NEED TO CALM DOWNNN!"
There's not a lot of women with the name Ben out there.

As for the video, these are significantly less annoying than the Slim Jim commercials we had about a year ago. Fuck those were annoying.

DiabloBub666

Aug 1, 2010
I didn't want to be the first to complain about this, but it HAS been bugging me for a month or two...

Though I figured that they're not really worth getting worked up over.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
drisky said:
I do hate those commercials, for those who don't know, other commercials make fun of Men for eating salad and trading in his sports car for a mini van for the sake of his family. It is 100% trying to tell you how to act like your gender and is offensive to both genders. The slogan is "made form stuff guys need", you are less of a man, and you need to eat slim jim to become a man again.
I agree with this. It's just reinforcing out-dated gender roles, and making any guy who deviates feel inferior.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
OP got an infraction... I'm allowed to take issue with the commercial too, right? Because I don't like the message in them, either.
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Hes riding on the back of a scooter.
A SCOOTER! He is riding "*****" on a scooter. I don't care about riding ***** just means less work for you but ITS A FUCKING SCOOTER!

On behalf on the Mens Guild you must hand in your balls.
I'm thoroughly disgusted by posts like this. Even if they are a joke, they still sound disgusting. You have your freedom of speech to say whatever you like. But I think I have right to equally say how revolting that was to come out of a human being's mouth. Or in this case, their metaphorical mouth coming through their hands on a keyboard.

Why would you even call riding behind someone in a two wheeled vehicle "riding *****"? That sounds ridiculous and degrading. And there's nothing wrong with scooters, either.

What on earth is wrong with using a scooter? The whole post here reeks of a tone implying that what you view to be feminine is inferior.
shadyh8er said:
Look up any recent Miller Lite ad. They flat out state that drinking any other light beer is unmanly.
I need to remember that company was the one that did that. Because henceforth I am never giving Miller my money again.

Though sadly this sort of thing seems common to beer companies in general.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'll be honest, I read the title for this thread and was thinking it was gonna be something closer to Stupid Sexy Flanders [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StupidSexyFlanders] than what it really was.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
maninahat said:
Mandalore_15 said:
maninahat said:
I'm borrowing someone's apple laptop, so naturally I'm using the Safari and not able to block ads. This is a big problem, because my Escapist videos are all preceded by stupid, unstoppable adverts.
You know that using adblockers can get you a suspension on this site, right?
I didn't technically admit to using ad blockers, if it is really an issue...I've never heard of it before.
Well, maybe you could've, oh I don't know, read the forum rules?

Also, this is the internet. Out of the m/b/trillion sexist things on it, why get worked up about a harmless Slim Jim ad?

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, it's reinforcing sexist stereotypes, and it's just a stupid ad altogether.

Do I disagree with it? Yeah, I do. And I'm not overreacting, because it's not harmless. It's never harmless. In the past couple of days I was in the car insurance sexism thread complaining about how different rates for men and women is sexist, and this doesn't get a pass just because it's a commercial and not meant to be taken seriously. Being against racism and sexism is everything or nothing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheDarkEricDraven said:
ZeroMachine said:
I believe I'm seeing an addmittance to add blockers. That's against forum rules.
What? It is? Why!? (Unsure if I use them myself. I'll check.)
<link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.313743-Do-people-seriously-not-understand-why-the-Escapist-protects-their-ads-Warning-Ranty-text-wall>Because economics.

Anyways, the ads don't bother me anymore... Pub Club is nice.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Phlakes said:
maninahat said:
Mandalore_15 said:
maninahat said:
I'm borrowing someone's apple laptop, so naturally I'm using the Safari and not able to block ads. This is a big problem, because my Escapist videos are all preceded by stupid, unstoppable adverts.
I didn't technically admit to using ad blockers, if it is really an issue...I've never heard of it before.

Also, this is the internet. Out of the m/b/trillion sexist things on it, why get worked up about a harmless Slim Jim ad?
I'm personally pissed off because I've had to watch them about 100 times between TV, The escapist, and that guy with the glasses. Honestly with the weekly "men are the targets of sexist double standards" we have been having, I'm surprised the escapist is taking the "He is less of a man for doing that" route. Fucking hypocrites aren't very consistent with there ideals.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Off-Topic thought inspired by this: I wonder how much it would cost the Escapist to host and serve the ads from their own server, which would make blocking them somewhat more difficult. Also I wonder if there would be any benefit for them in it: it seems like SlimJim didn't purchase the adspace by the impression, since if they did their ad campaign would likely be long over by now.

The reason I mention this is many people block known ad network servers for security reasons, since ad networks are prime targets for hackers because the payoff is so huge. Compromise a few of, say, Tribal Fusion's servers and you've got access to an enormous pool of users across many thousands of websites. [small]Although given TF's reputation compromising their servers probably isn't even necessary...[/small]

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
drisky said:
Phlakes said:
maninahat said:
Mandalore_15 said:
maninahat said:

I'm personally pissed off because I've had to watch them about 100 times between TV, The escapist, and that guy with the glasses. Honestly with the weekly "men are the targets of sexist double standards" we have been having, I'm surprised the escapist is taking the "He is less of a man for doing that" route. Fucking hypocrites aren't very consistent with there ideals.
I think it was in the podcast where they explained this, can't remember, but this site's ad space isn't hot real estate. They're taking whatever they can because they're literally almost out of money, especially after the whole Extra Credits thing.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Insanity_Zero said:
It's because it's a SCOOTER. It doesn't matter if there was two supermodels on that thing and the guy himself was freakin' Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, or hell, even Sean Connery. It just isn't manly to be on a Scooter.
Ever.
If Sean Connery sat on a scooter it'd be instantly manly. So your statement does not compute.

Also Sean Connery would never sit on a scooter.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
drisky said:
Phlakes said:
maninahat said:
Mandalore_15 said:
maninahat said:

<link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.313743-Do-people-seriously-not-understand-why-the-Escapist-protects-their-ads-Warning-Ranty-text-wall>I'll re-rant as much as I have to...

It probably hurts them even more than it hurts you.