Stupid teachers.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, this will seem quite weak, but I had (or well, have) in year 7 a Finnish teacher (I live in Finland) who has quite a short temper. Like when we once changed the seating, I pointed out that we were all sitting on the opposite side of our real places, since one (pretty dim) bloke in the front had gone on the wrong side. I almost got thrown out of class.
Yes, we ended up sitting in wrong places.

SystemSeven

Jul 22, 2012
Christ but there are some horror stories in here. Mine are tame by comparison, but I do have a big one from this past year, at the very end. No classes involved, as it was more of a general thing.

<spoiler=Long boring anecdote within>I get along... shall we say poorly with people in my grade, for a variety of reasons, namely that they're annoying and spout ancient memes like they're the most amusing things to come from the internet. As a result of this, I have three "actual" friends, two of whom are a grade above (which this past year put them in a different school), and one a grade below (same school). Diablo 3 having recently come out and all of my friends being avid gamers, I wanted to discuss the game with my friend during yearbook signings, a ritual which I currently do, and likely always will, hold a bitter disdain for, and so went down to the gym where our two grades were being gathered. The teachers were shepherding my grade into one of the gyms (it's split by a wall of folding bleachers), at which point I extricated myself from the group and followed the path that my friend's grade was being led to.

At which point my 6th grade english teacher pulled me, quite forcefully out of line, and told me that I could not go into the other gym. The conversation was roughly as follows:

Teacher: [NAME], you can't go into this gym, only seventh graders can be in this gym.

Me: I just need to find my friend [FRIEND'S NAME], I can talk to him outside if it's that important.

Teacher: No, you can't come in! It's seventh graders only!

Me: And why exactly is it so awful to let an eighth grader in here? You know I don't cause trouble.

Teacher: You have to go back to the eighth grade group, [NAME]. The south side gym is only for seventh graders.

This argument goes on for several more minutes, standing at the friggin' doorway to the gym, until she gives up and gets the Physical Education teacher (who has never seen me before, since I somehow got put in adaptive PE) to literally push me away from the door, at which point they starkly refuse to talk to me.

This story is fairly tame compared to what some of the people in this thread have experienced, but I feel like it's still quite significant, probably only because it happened to me and I tend towards narcissism. But regardless, it's still a story of some fairly stupid teachers and/or stupid policies added to the long list contained in this thread.

icythepenguin

Jun 5, 2012
I had a grade 11 English teacher who had been removed from the Photography department because of a major theft the year before. I had to remind twice throughout the year that she gave me one mark on paper and entered a different mark into her computer for grading. The best moment though was at the end of the year when she was inputting our final marks. She didn't have a mark written down for our final project, a project I did not do, and wanted to know what the mark was. I said I couldn't remember and she said in front of the class and my friends who knew I hadn't done the project that she remembered my work and that it was pretty good so she would give me a B+. If I had any respect for that teacher left at that moment I would have lost it but it worked out in my favour.

TheLizardKing

May 4, 2012
Year 9 IT teacher.
There was one time where the printer was jammed, and he said it had a virus. I'm not even joking. He legitmately thought the printer had a virus.
He also thought that the internet was invented in 2006 because that must have been the first time he used it.

Odinsson

Jun 11, 2011
Suki_ said:
kortin said:
You're joking, right? A static source is no more reliable than a dynamic one. A static source is just as easily able to be unreliable.

Do you recall the whole "tongue mapping" stuff you learned when you were younger? They taught you from a book, i.e. a static source. Turns out the tongue map is entirely invalid. By your logic, that shouldn't be possible.

With wikipedia, however, things are able to be added as new discoveries are made. In order to correct static sources, you have to do a reprint, costing thousands of dollars and causing problems for people who aren't aware of the update. That's why it's perfectly valid.

Here I will try to explain this one last time in the most basic terms I can think of.

If you use a source that can change its useless. This is because if your source changes its information it invalidates your entire paper. That source might not support your paper anymore. What do you do if the quote you used got deleted from wikipedia? Oh right there is nothing you can do. You also do not know who the author of the article is which is another requirement for a valid source. Wikipedia is also not peer reviewed in the same way that other reliable sources are.

Once you get out into the real world the only thing that is allowed for sourcing is primary and secondary sources that have been peer reviewed. Wikipedia for obvious reasons does not fall into this category. The requirements for sourcing are much higher then everything else because of how important and easy it is.
So how is it better to quote a source that is then changed than to quote a static source that has been proven wrong? I'm not saying Wikipedia is a good resource at all, but you seem to be saying that quoting from an outdated source is better, which to my mind is simply untrue.

The tongue mapping thing is a prime example of why your logic fails. Surely your paper being invalidated is better than an entire paper based on lies that no-one has bothered to change.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
My graphic design teacher decided to be the ONLY teacher I had to actually take my predicted grades seriously. These predictions were made by exams I have done when I first entered the school and had NOTHING to do with drawing or any other skills relevant to the course,

Since my grade was predicted A*, he assumed I was very talented, when in actual fact I had no real talent in drawing and wasn't that creative. So for a good year I'm regularly getting detentions for handing in work that was below that standard.

The real kicker is the course was so easy I could have still gotten a B grade, but by the end of the year he hated me so much he entered me into foundation tier, essentially meaning my maximum grade would be a C.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
James Joseph Emerald said:
- Another classic was this legendarily insane woodworking teacher
I don't think you will find a sane woodworking teacher

Mine drove nails in with the palm of his hands.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
my religion teacher tried to fail me. in religion. RELIGION. she said i didnt respect god and what she taught, yet i was practically teaching the class. she didnt even know what the four gospels were called. turns out she used to give 100%'s to everyone in her class the semester before i was in her class, and she got grilled for it by the other teachers. so she failed 20 out of 24 students to protect her job. i was the only one that said that she was full of shit, and i basically argued my way to a passing mark that i deserved in the first place.

Ryan All

Jun 12, 2012
Cyfu said:
So in tenth grade we went on a skiing trip. Half way there we were divided into groups of 5 and they said "Ok, there is a storm coming and it will hit in 15 minutes. Make a snow cave big enough for everyone in your group."

So we started digging and when 15 minutes have passed they said that everyone had to get in. It wasn't any room for me so I just stood there and went "oh well.. no big deal"
Well, the teacher didn't agree. He came up to me and ordered me to get in. (I want to stress how little room there was. If I tried I would probably get half of my foot in.) I replied with "are you blind? there no room." I thought that would be enough. but no, he ordered me once again to get into the snow cave. His shouting had gotten the attention of the entire class by now and everyone was just staring at us. I refused but that didn't stop him from getting up in my face and ordering me again. Now I was sick of this asshole so I replied "Are you retarded? there's no room." You can probably guess what happened next. yep, he ordered me again. Now I was really getting sick of him so I said to him, I think I might have yelled because I was pretty angry at this point."Are you fucking stupid? Can't you see that there isn't any room? Are you fucking high?"
His response was to threatening to send me home. After that another teacher came over and stopped him.

so anyone else had a retarded teacher?
A SNOW cave?? Are you joking? That's a joke, right? I mean... really.
So yeah, for some reason all the "Health" (Sex ed) teachers are retarded in my district. Except one. I had to wait 6 years until 11th grade (which I just finished) to get her. But back to the stupid ones. One of them hated me for no good reason and was just terribly dumb to the point where she (I kid you not) got a penis and a vagina mixed up.

Also there was "Family and consumer science", taught by an old bat straight from the sexist ages. The whole idea was bullshit because why in the world do I need to know how to cook in school, when I could be doing better things and honestly, I can use a cookbook. Said teacher also treated us like kindergarten students when we were 6th graders.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I once had a maths teacher who burst into tears because i had the sheer audacity to politely call her out on two pretty simple mistakes she made in one lesson. Then I got a lecture in "repect in the classroom". So i was suppose to sit there and let her fill our heads with shit that was, well, wrong? When i pointed this out she asked if i wanted to teach the class instead, although was a little put out when i agreed, for some reason she backtracked, i wasnt allowed to teach the class, and we never spoke of it again.

Of course i want to make it clear that i have boundess respect for teachers and their 13 weeks paid holiday - which they need because their job is so much more stressful than everybody elses. On that last point, if holiday was awarded based on how stressful your job is shouldnt firemen only have to work 3 weeks a year? Just a thought.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Odinsson said:
So how is it better to quote a source that is then changed than to quote a static source that has been proven wrong? I'm not saying Wikipedia is a good resource at all, but you seem to be saying that quoting from an outdated source is better, which to my mind is simply untrue.

The tongue mapping thing is a prime example of why your logic fails. Surely your paper being invalidated is better than an entire paper based on lies that no-one has bothered to change.
The static-but-wrong source is better because it allows the reader to check your sources. The bibliography you put at the end of your papers isn't to make them look professional, it's a resource for the people reading it.

If you quote an incorrect source, then the reader can follow your link, see that the listed source is full of crap, and come to the conclusion that the paper is likely full of wrong information and is worthless.

If, on the other hand, you reference the Wikipedia article on whatever you're writing about, and it's later edited, then the reader has no idea if your paper is based on actual information. For all they know, you could have just made something up. Maybe the quote you used was removed because it was wrong, who knows?

What it comes down to is that the person reading your paper needs to be able to see if you know what you're talking about. A source that can change does not accomplish this.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Supercereal said:
I went to a Christian School for 13 years from K-12 (Australia) and had to deal with the fact of my first name being Dennis. So whenever i got a new teacher they would always without fault make the joke of "Dennis i bet your going to be a menace." It isn't so bad i guess but its my annoyance, the other has to do with my last name being Dick so i guess its a double whammy of "joke" names and again without fault but this would be for every day of the year as well as year, Is that any teacher reading down the roll call would get to my name after reading out everyone before me's first and last name pause for a moment and go Dennis ? and then continue with first and last names. My name would also get me into trouble with some teachers accusing the class of putting it in as a joke name and my 12th grade home room teacher even went so far as to say wow Dennis Dick your parents must have really wanted you to be laughed at.

On my 12th grade home room teacher as well. When we got our year 12 jersey we had the option of putting our last name on the back, Well everyone but me because it would be seen as rude to the people around me. But i fought for my right to have it claiming that i was being discriminated against by the school and they gave in to me or so i thought until i received my Jersey minus my name on the back. It turned out my teacher had forgot to put it on my form that i wanted my name on the back. So i being understanding went out and paid to have my last name placed on the back at my own expense and the next day at school during home room was called up by the same teacher and asked to remove my jersey because it now had Dick written on the back. Too which i flat out refused as it was still my name and there was nothing wrong with it seeing my side of things she gave me detention for refusing her. this kept going over the course of the week and even got my vice principle involved with him claiming i was disrespecting myself and my school by having such vulgar language on the back of my jersey. But still i refused to stop wearing it and launched into a rather heated fight with my vice principle over him claiming i was disrespecting myself for having pride in my name, i spent every day for 2 months in detention for wearing my jersey to school until my mother caught wind of what had been happening came in and verbally castrated the vice principle afterwards i was never hassled again about my jersey.
Wow that last bit is ridiculous I can't believe how disrespectful they were to you. I mean I get that Dick is a odd last name but just because it is odd doesn't mean you deserve to be disrespected that way.

Odinsson

Jun 11, 2011
Rabid Toilet said:
Odinsson said:

The static-but-wrong source is better because it allows the reader to check your sources. The bibliography you put at the end of your papers isn't to make them look professional, it's a resource for the people reading it.

If you quote an incorrect source, then the reader can follow your link, see that the listed source is full of crap, and come to the conclusion that the paper is likely full of wrong information and is worthless.

If, on the other hand, you reference the Wikipedia article on whatever you're writing about, and it's later edited, then the reader has no idea if your paper is based on actual information. For all they know, you could have just made something up. Maybe the quote you used was removed because it was wrong, who knows?

What it comes down to is that the person reading your paper needs to be able to see if you know what you're talking about. A source that can change does not accomplish this.
Well put. I can definitely see your point, and hadn't really thought about it like that.

On the topic of the thread, I had a teacher in 3rd grade that yelled at me because she didn't think 'undulate' was a word.

I also had an Ancient History teacher in my last year of school who was very nice, but she never disciplined anyone. So at one point we had a near full-on fistfight in the classroom and she did nothing. Neither of the parties involved were reprimanded in any way. She was also really bad at explaining things. Someone would ask what she meant, and she'd just repeat what she said instead of elaborating. The week before our final exam, my best friend called me to ask for help with studying. I went over the entire semester's work in half an hour, and he still credits me with enabling him to pass that exam.

Supercereal

Mar 3, 2012
aba1 said:
Wow that last bit is ridiculous I can't believe how disrespectful they were to you. I mean I get that Dick is a odd last name but just because it is odd doesn't mean you deserve to be disrespected that way.
Yeah alot of my friends rallied behind me about it as well but the Vice Principle just refused to see it any other way.

I also remembered another one in year 6 if we were found to have any incorrect homework at all we were forced into a lunch detention until we got the question correct. So basically you had to get 100% on your homework or you would be punished. Luckily it was only for one year that i had to put up with that brain aneurism inducing system but it just seemed stupid to me.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
TheLizardKing said:
Year 9 IT teacher.
There was one time where the printer was jammed, and he said it had a virus. I'm not even joking. He legitmately thought the printer had a virus.
He also thougt that the internet was invented in 2006 because that must have been the first time he used it.
hahaha I had a similar incident where I came across a computer with a note on it saying it doesn't work in the computer lab so I proceeded to PLUG IT IN turned it on and it was all good.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
When I was in Kindergarten (yes Kindergarten) I had the worst teacher I can remember. I couldn't read very well and every time she asked some to read she would pick me. The kids laughed at me. I stopped reading and sat down. She looked at me and said "You are stupid. I didn't tell you to stop reading." She told me continuously how dumb I was.

A few years later, I was diagnosed with Dyslexia.

That was the worst teacher I ever had.

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Off topic for a sec, how many people here are these. A. In high school. B. Not in collage but graduates prepping for collage. Or C. In Collage?

All I'm seeing is a bunch of teenagers complaining about their experiences in high school or their schooling as a child thus far. And yes, I'm in category B.
OT: I've had Bitchy teachers, and a few rather callous ones, but retarded? Not really. High school most of my teachers were either smart, very cynical and wise about the world, not the best people to be dealing with obnoxious or rude kids(it was a special needs school, sue me, public schools suck) or simply so tough on you they probably chewed bricks for fun.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Supercereal said:
aba1 said:
Yeah alot of my friends rallied behind me about it as well but the Vice Principle just refused to see it any other way.

I also remembered another one in year 6 if we were found to have any incorrect homework at all we were forced into a lunch detention until we got the question correct. So basically you had to get 100% on your homework or you would be punished. Luckily it was only for one year that i had to put up with that brain aneurism inducing system but it just seemed stupid to me.
Trust me I feel ya you should see my post on the third page it is fairly large and only a fraction of bs I had to deal with over the years.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Off topic for a sec, how many people here are these. A. In high school. B. Not in collage but graduates prepping for collage. Or C. In Collage?

All I'm seeing is a bunch of teenagers complaining about their experiences in high school thus far. And yes, I'm in category B.
OT: I've had Bitchy teachers, and a few rather callous ones, but retarded? Not really. High school most of my teachers were either smart, very cynical and wise about the world, not the best people to be dealing with obnoxious or rude kids(it was a special needs school, sue me, public schools suck) or simply so tough on you they probably chewed bricks for fun.
I am in forth year college personally.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
Ryan All said:
A SNOW cave?? Are you joking? That's a joke, right? I mean... really.
Hey, snow is a very good insulator. I've slept in a snow cave before, and steam was coming out of the thing.

Please don't let this derail the thread. I just wanted to show my support for the greatness that is snow caves.