Stupidest twist a story has used

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Stupid story twists happen all the time. "ZOMG CORPORATION IZ BADZ U WORK FOR THEM OH NOEZ" and such. But I want to go deeper into the realm of horse-shit. And so I come to you, Escapists: what is the stupidest twist any story (Video game, book, movie, toaster, etc.) that you have evr read. This will have spoilers, iinvietably.

EDIT: I actaully have a question about a non stupid plot twist: Right before the very end of inception, does the top keep spinning or not? Becuase I turned away and when I looked back it was the credits, so I didn't see if it started wavering or not.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Pirates of The Caribbean: All of it.

That entire trilogy was stupid plot twist after stupid plot twist.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
"it was all a dream"

Really? So then the experience was a complete waste of time.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I might be remembering wrong, but I think there was a movie called 'The Virus' (not the '99 Jamie Lee Curtis one) where a deadly virus is sweeping the country, dozens/hundreds die from it within the movie itself, and the protagonists don't catch it because they were already sick with the common cold.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
GigaHz said:
"it was all a dream"

Which movie had the 'it was all a dream' twist specifically? I know that a soap opera did that to fix a couple of seasons worth of colossal fuck-ups, but I cn't think of any movies that had that type of twist.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Was going to say "in b4 Shyamalan" but too late.

Mainly because I can't think of anything else, I nominate Command & Conquer Red Alert 2. Specifically the Soviet campaign.
Halfway through, with no input from the player, a couple of characters on your side are killed off, including President Romanov, by Yuri, and you are then ordered to work for Yuri in killing off their resistance and furthering his agenda. One of the most egregious examples of gameplay and story segregation - you have NO impact on this whatsoever, and in the long run it affects nothing apart from who shows up in the cutscenes.

EDIT: not retarded any more

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I have to go with Star Ocean 3's "The entire universe as you know it is a giant MMORPG."

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
GigaHz said:
"it was all a dream"

Those twists are quite bad, but it gets even worse when in the last second of the episode/game/book you see something that proves it wasn't a dream at all, and then you're just left confused.

If you want examples for either of those twists:

All just a dream [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllJustADream]

Or was it a dream? [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrWasItADream]

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
twistedmic said:
Which movie had the 'it was all a dream' twist specifically? I know that a soap opera did that to fix a couple of seasons worth of colossal fuck-ups, but I cn't think of any movies that had that type of twist.
I can't really think of any modern movies, but a few kids movies from the 90's come to mind. I'm not in the mood to go digging for examples, but I'm sure they are there.

Plus there are plenty of TV shows that use it shamelessly. There's a whole website dedicated to 'It was all a dream" episodes.

Mechanical Cat Fish

May 16, 2009
The whole 'it was a dream' and 'I'm working for the bad guys' things are pretty bad, but they've already been mentioned. I think 'Turns out the bad guy is God' (which is admittedly fairly specific to JRPGs) is pretty overdone, even if it did work the first few times. Also, as an honourable mention, the 'The bad guy is made entirely out of asparagus' idea from Yahtzee's review of Singularity is pretty silly. From a narrative standpoint, what does it add?

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
WorldCritic said:
Your wife IS your arm.

Bionic Commando
I actually thought that twist was hilarious.

What kind of sense does that make? If they explained it in game, please tell me why they need a person inside of a robotic arm?

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
The thing with the forest "coming alive" at the end of Macbeth.
That really sucked.

The last few chapters of Condemned 2 as well.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Chalk up another vote for the wife-arm. Good God that was stupid...