Subreddit's "strike" over recently hired person involved with pedophiles

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
"Politician" is arguably a somewhat exaggerated term for someone never elected to public office. Although this person certainly stood for office, and had minor spokesperson roles for a political party. They certainly needed a change of career and ideally country, because their options may have become quite limited.

I do not think Reddit did anything obviously wrong hiring them, because Reddit will not have reasonably known at the point of hiring. Hiring people for routine positions involves a CV, interview, references, evidence of qualifications, declarations of criminal convictions, etc.: not sifting through the internet hoping to hit paydirt. That sort of vetting is not what companies tend to do, or at least not unless appointing to a level of sufficient seniority.

And honestly, I don't think many of us would like the idea of companies regularly subjecting their employees (including ourselves) to that sort of invasive vetting either.
1 Google search man.

Some companies already do far more in depth for some stuff than 1 google search already such as the oh so lovely tool some HR departments are bringing in of the "Company culture compatibility" assessment systems to determine the best candidate for the company based on how much of an advantage they'd be for the company to make money vs cost rather than how good they actually are. So basically a test of how socially compliant they are determined to be and how much the company to push them to do more work and they'll take it to try and impress and not realise they're getting taken advantage of.

I've never been a fan of this idea that companies are responsible for their employees outside of their work. Obviously this is an extreme case involving a pedophile so I dunno my feelings are mixed here.
Ok none of the following is verified so take this all with a mountain of salt.

In this case the concern are as follows.

1) She still hired her dad as part of her campaign team despite the pending trial at the time and claimed she "Didn't know" the full story despite presumably a fucking police raid on the house. So Judgement, not exactly great there.

2) Her present partners having expressed views that I don't want to write here (which coming from me you should know it means it's pretty extreme) while said partners also manages subreddits that are young adult focussed more specifically young adults who may be "discovering" themselves and what who they like so may be even more open to being taken advantage of.

3) Has a history of using identity claims against people when her actions are questioned. (You think Twitch's Deer Girl is bad this girl was likely worse)

All in all this was a PR disaster waiting to happen for reddit because:
  • Reddit has had issues of grooming before or allegations of it happening
  • This was a staff position of power being handed to some-one with two separate links to child abuse her fathers action and the tweets from one of her partners.
  • Even if nothing major happened and there was no abuse of position almost any pushback to anything would face claims it was due to her identity as a way to silence it I mean she's already done it to two of the more Left wing parties in the UK.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
1 Google search man.

Some companies already do far more in depth for some stuff than 1 google search already such as the oh so lovely tool some HR departments are bringing in of the "Company culture compatibility" assessment systems to determine the best candidate for the company based on how much of an advantage they'd be for the company to make money vs cost rather than how good they actually are. So basically a test of how socially compliant they are determined to be and how much the company to push them to do more work and they'll take it to try and impress and not realise they're getting taken advantage of.
Have you never been subject to a security clearance or written a selection criteria in the last fifteen years? All of that shit is on there already. It isn't new.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Ugly inside and outside. I'm a little sympathetic because Challenor had a rough history, but the more recent history is grounds for moderating a cemetery, perhaps, not living souls.

Reactions: Ender910

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Your quote is messed up. Should have been attributed to me and not Piscian.
Right you are; edited.

What is an 'election officer' as it relates to Reddit?
That doesn't relate to Reddit; that was in her capacity as an electoral candidate for the Green Party.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
[/QUOTE]
Wow, politicians involved with nepotism?! And a bunch of armchair warriors acting like they're doing something by simply going on an internet diet for a little bit?! It must be a XXXXXDay.
The point of locking down the forums was so people could get answers from Reddit about this and prevent people on their subreddits from getting perma-banned just for mentioning this person's name. This only blew up because of them banning someone who posted an article that mentioned the person in question in passing.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So I can't see the links and don't know anything more about this than the quote in the OP states. This is a person who was previously convicted, has served their sentence, has now rejoined the workforce, and we are now upset that a company has hired this person? Is there more to it than that? Has he been hired for a position that involves interaction with minors? Because, if not, I'm not really sure what the controversy is, isn't that how the justice system is supposed to work? This person served their time and has been deemed rehabilitated by the state and thus needs to find employment to support themselves. Or should ex-cons be perpetually supported by the state and never be required to work again once they leave prison? Because that doesn't make any sense. Either kill them, keep them in prison for their entire life, or people need to accept that ex-cons are going to be working among them.
So, I was able to rapidly find out who this person is.

They have not been convicted of a crime. Their father was convicted of a sex offence against a minor, and their spouse has been accused of writing some paedophilia-friendly comments on social media (but claims the account was hacked - hmm). Therefore, this individual has, personally, not done anything directly illegal.

The problem arrives that this person employed their father as a campaign manager for an election - after he had been charged for a sex offence against a minor, albeit before his conviction. This is at best poor judgement. When combined with the alleged comments from the husband, the associations here do not look good at all.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

They have not been convicted of a crime. Their father was convicted of a sex offence against a minor, and their spouse has been accused of writing some paedophilia-friendly comments on social media (but claims the account was hacked - hmm). Therefore, this individual has, personally, not done anything directly illegal.

The problem arrives that this person employed their father as a campaign manager for an election - after he had been charged for a sex offence against a minor, albeit before his conviction. This is at best poor judgement. When combined with the alleged comments from the husband, the associations here do not look good at all.
That doesn't relate to Reddit; that was in her capacity as an electoral candidate for the Green Party.
She was fired from Reddit because she hired somebody she probably shouldn't have for a different job, unrelated to her job at Reddit?

This is very convoluted and I'm feeling way out of my depth. I'm not even entirely sure exactly which part I'm supposed to be angry about. I should probably just stay out of Current Events, I just get bored sometimes and look at the Latest Posts sidebar...

Reactions: bobdark

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
She was fired from Reddit because she hired somebody she probably shouldn't have for a different job, unrelated to her job at Reddit?

This is very convoluted and I'm feeling way out of my depth. I'm not even entirely sure exactly which part I'm supposed to be angry about. I should probably just stay out of Current Events, I just get bored sometimes and look at the Latest Posts sidebar...
There's a lot of different factors that lead to this being a big deal. One that I haven't brought up yet is that reddit has been increasing it's restrictions on what people can say. Now, I'm not trying to bring up the same old song and dance we've had before, the thing that makes this different from usual times is how vague they're being about it.
Mods for various subreddits have decided to ban the talking of certain subjects for the safety of the subreddit and its members because certain words being used can get people and subreddits banned or shut down but the administrators aren't telling people what this words are.
This is extreme levels of beaurocratic nonsense and it's another reason this incident blew up.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't think you've done anything "wrong" or are out of your depth. I think you're right that this is complex, and we have less than ideal information on the matter.

I think the problem is that this is part of the wider conflict between tech media and public in what they should and shouldn't allow and this is a way to attack Reddit. After that, it is coupled with the ever spicy whiff of paedophilia hysteria.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Perhaps this should be the beginning and end of the involvement of internet randos like us.
Can I amend my previous statement from "I'm not allowed to answer that question" to "nobody is allowed to answer that question"

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Can I amend my previous statement from "I'm not allowed to answer that question" to "nobody is allowed to answer that question"
Nobody's stopping you saying anything, you're just moaning about it regardless.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States

She also, apparently, was living in the house where the abuse took place at the time. Now, there is absolutely no evidence she knew one way or another about her father's activities, but I personally find it hard to believe she could be entirely clueless about it. To then go on and bring in said father as her campaign manager after the arrest shows callous disregard for how heinous his actions were at best. Her husband having such proclivities just adds another huge red flag even if it's not something she is guilty of herself.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
She also, apparently, was living in the house where the abuse took place at the time. Now, there is absolutely no evidence she knew one way or another about her father's activities, but I personally find it hard to believe she could be entirely clueless about it. To then go on and bring in said father as her campaign manager after the arrest shows callous disregard for how heinous his actions were at best. Her husband having such proclivities just adds another huge red flag even if it's not something she is guilty of herself.
It's certainly something that proper vetting should have brought up.

Another possibility I mentioned earlier is that the father may have manipulated or threatened his family. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has caused a relative to feel incapable of coming forward.

...Or that might not be the case. We just don't know very much about all this. But with how little we know, there are feasible scenarios that don't involve endorsement or outright complicity.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

The point of locking down the forums was so people could get answers from Reddit about this and prevent people on their subreddits from getting perma-banned just for mentioning this person's name. This only blew up because of them banning someone who posted an article that mentioned the person in question in passing.
[/QUOTE]Isn't it funny all those subreddits went on protest because they couldn't talk about something, and it ended up being talked about all over reddit and no one was banned? It was all over the 40k subreddits, no one got banned, and they weren't even on private

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Isn't it funny all those subreddits went on protest because they couldn't talk about something, and it ended up being talked about all over reddit and no one was banned? It was all over the 40k subreddits, no one got banned, and they weren't even on private
..... But people did get banned.... The very reason it blew up is because someone GOT BANNED. WTF are you talking about?!

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Nobody's stopping you saying anything, you're just moaning about it regardless.
Well, I'm stopping me from saying certain things, and I might suggest most people should consider doing so as well.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
..... But people did get banned.... The very reason it blew up is because someone GOT BANNED. WTF are you talking about?!
That the very idea people were talking about it proves it wasn't as big of a deal as they claim? The claim is everyone who was talking about it got banned, sure. Then how did anyone hear about it? I saw it mentioned all over the place, no bans.
I'm sure in like a UK subreddit people were banned, but why does r/Water care? Why did any other subreddit that didn't involve the mods or admins that wasn't banning anyone for talking about it involved in the least? Why mass protests to something that was by definition both an isolated event and one that had no impact on anything else?