Sucker Punch opinions (no spoilers, please!)

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
ok, so there are already threads about this movie, but so far i've only seen ones about the critics and about specific aspects. i wanna hear people's overall opinions. here's mine:

ok, first off, i loved the hell out of this movie. i will definitely see it again in the theater, and i'll buy it on blu-ray as soon as i can. the "fun parts" were definitely fun, and the dramatic parts were at least interesting, if not exactly thought provoking.
however, i walked away feeling slightly confused and disappointed. the confusion was primarily at the PG-13 rating, both the how and the why. first (the "how?"), i've seen movies rated R simply for "thematic elements" that were less creepy than those in this movie. how this movie escaped that fate, i have no clue.
second, ... why? seriously, why? now, i'm not arguing that rating this movie R would have made it better in any way. more swearing, violence, or nudity wouldn't have made this movie any better. but what confuses me is that this movie is so obviously self-censored specifically to get a PG-13, despite the fact that no one who wouldn't or couldn't see an R movie would have any desire to see this in the first place. basically, by rating this movie PG-13, Snyder seems to be shooting for a target audience that isn't there.

now, to my disappointments. first, didn't care for the ending, but won't belabor that too much due to spoilerish nature. but what really disappoints me is that even though this is likely one of the most interesting movies we'll see this year, it is guaranteed to be completely snubbed by the Academy. seriously, i'll be amazed if this movie even gets a nod for something technical. it's so obviously going to be hated, and that's a crying shame.

oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the awesome soundtrack (aside from that abortion-worthy cover of the Pixies' Where is My Mind?). however, that seems to be kinda a thing in Zak Snyder movies, so i suppose it's not really anything new. and by that i am referring both to the good soundtrack and the terrible covers. i forget who desecrated Desolation Row in Watchmen, but that made me weep with shame and rage.

how about all the rest of y'all?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
My thoughts on the matter are summed up well <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.273103-Marter-to-the-Movies-Sucker-Punch>here.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
My brief thoughts (as I still haven't fully processed everything):

Soundtrack was absolutely amazing. I loved every piece of music and was quite upset every time it stopped.
Visuals were stunning (church flyover? Fuck yeah)
Story was really well done, even if I didn't care for the ending (They could have removed one line from it and the whole movie could have been completely changed)

Overall: I loved it. So much fun. It was fantastic.

Also, John Hamm. He makes everything better.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I've already sang this movie's praises in numerous other threads, but I refuse to stop.

This movie is not just hot chicks and explosions. It's got a pretty well developed story, and the whole thing is set to an amazing sountrack that comes paired with a distinct visual style that make this movie something special. The acting won't win any awards, but it succeeds in what it sets out to do.

I was more than happy slapping down $10.75 for Sucker Punch, and I can't wait for it to come out on Blue-Ray.

Edit: Completely agree with the OP about the rating. The first thing I said to my buddy afterwords was "this movie is screaming for an R rating." I think Snyder handled the PG-13 well, (I especially like the German soldiers who run on Steam) but I could tell he really wanted to add in the violence.

Oh and one more thing. I have a total crush on Jena Malone now because of this movie. Rocket was just unbelievable.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
Oh and one more thing. I have a total crush on Jena Malone now because of this movie. Rocket was just unbelievable.
hear, hear. she were mah fav'rite!

Gxas said:
amen to that, too. he's pretty much the only thing i like about Mad Men (aside from Christina Hendricks), even though he plays a total douche in it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Now, admittedly, the PG-13 gained a customer (me), as for various reasons I can't go to R-rated movies (I am eighteen, but I still can't).

Other then that, I really want to see it. It looks awesome.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Now, admittedly, the PG-13 gained a customer (me), as for various reasons I can't go to R-rated movies (I am eighteen, but I still can't).

ok, fair enough. but you gotta admit that you're part of an extremely small demographic. as in, from big money movie studio perspective, ignorably small.

actually, though, my brother came up with a theory that, while weak, is the best answer i've heard yet. that is, Snyder obviously realized the movie was going to be slammed for "pandering" so he chose to eliminate any unnecessary profanity, violence, or nudity to take some ammo away from those attackers. like i said, not perfect, but it kinda makes sense.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
I loved every minute of it, yea the writing was campy and over the top, but i think thats what Zack Snyder was going for. DO NOT listen to the critics (except for MovieBob) and GO SEE THIS MOVIE YESTERDAY.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
It is a weird movie. I'll be honest, the critics who are bashing this movie are on to something when they say that the plot isn't particularly engaging; it isn't.

That said, it doesn't really need to be in this case. Sucker Punch is a movie where Zac Snyder beats you over the head repeatedly with his own brand of extremely entertaining surrealist filmmaking. What the critics don't get is that there's more than one kind of "good movie". There's the "thinky kind", with great characters, and plot, and dialogue, and then there's the "flashy kind", the ones like Sucker Punch.

Basically, watching one of the former is like reading a great book. Watching the latter is like looking at a painting. They're both art, just different kinds.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jamboxdotcom said:
lacktheknack said:

ok, fair enough. but you gotta admit that you're part of an extremely small demographic. as in, from big money movie studio perspective, ignorably small.

actually, though, my brother came up with a theory that, while weak, is the best answer i've heard yet. that is, Snyder obviously realized the movie was going to be slammed for "pandering" so he chose to eliminate any unnecessary profanity, violence, or nudity to take some ammo away from those attackers. like i said, not perfect, but it kinda makes sense.
I can see that. However, I imagine that the "I refuse to see non-R-rated movies" demographic is also fairly small.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Jamboxdotcom said:
Gxas said:
amen to that, too. he's pretty much the only thing i like about Mad Men (aside from Christina Hendricks), even though he plays a total douche in it.
Someone who doesn't like Mad Men?

STRING HIM FROM THE RAFTERS BOYS.

But yeah, I have a giant man crush on Jon Hamm anyway.

Ot: I'm quite looking forward to seeing in anyhow, I'm a fan of what I've seen from Snyder, his adaption of Watchmen especially. I can't think of any way that could have been done better to be honest.

Nova Helix

Mar 17, 2010
This movie was TERRIBLE.

Besides the chromatography there was nothing enjoyable about it. The characters were flat, the story was boring, the acting was laughable, and it seemed like a drunkard assembled it because it was so scattered.

I don't know why people keep saying it's "fan service", it was more of a crap on fan service.
Come watch me I have robots, zombies, and scantily clad girls! None of that matters if the movie is junk.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Great movie that I look forward to seeing again.. and I'm also rather addicted to it's soundtrack.

As for the issue of censorship. I think, as the OPS states, that this is a rather prickly movie to begin with given it's themes. And, just to look at it, you know it wasn't cheap outside of the money they probably saved on it's actors (what I find to be the one really weak part of the film). This is a movie that needed money to fund it but wasn't likely to get that money unless it was made available for a wider audience.

The upside to this? Snyder and several cast members have already confirmed that when the movie is released on disc it will be the full unedited "uncensored" version that was filmed but had to be left on the cutting room floor. If you're thinking there should be more movie there, you're right, it was actually cut out deliberately for the rating.. but it's still coming.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Jamboxdotcom said:
I can't stand topics like this. Just how are we supposed to have in-depth conversations about the movie if we can't give spoilers? Why don't you just say "Sucker Punch Opinions - SPOILERS INSIDE" so we can talk freely about it? I mean really, if people want a constructive opinions on it without spoilers they can just go watch Moviebob's review or the hundreds other out there.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Lilani said:
Jamboxdotcom said:
I can't stand topics like this. Just how are we supposed to have in-depth conversations about the movie if we can't give spoilers? Why don't you just say "Sucker Punch Opinions - SPOILERS INSIDE" so we can talk freely about it? I mean really, if people want a constructive opinions on it without spoilers they can just go watch Moviebob's review or the hundreds other out there.
i understand that, but i largely feel that most criticism and opinion of this film is not going to be based on specifics, but rather on overarching themes, as well as on generally how it worked or didn't work. if you want to post your opinion and include spoilers, feel free to do so, but obviously use the spoiler tags.

*edit* basically, i don't think the plot is what most criticism of this movie would or should revolve around, because plot was obviously not the most important thing. kinda like Terry Gilliam's Brazil, the movie this will most often be compared to: Brazil was a wonderful movie, but does anyone really remember the plot? i own and love that movie, but i don't remember the plot, beyond the most general strokes.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
it looks good. oh, and movie bob, it is not an original film. it was a graphic novel. it is still an adaptation, please be doing your research next time.