Suggest a Game

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
I am trying to host an event where people can play a game and attempt to get a the highest score.

- Rounds have to be very quick (less than 5 minuets in length for a round or able to set # of lives)
- Must have a scoring mechanic (no FPS games)
- Single Player pref
- System does not matter but PC pref (ps3/ouya/pc/xbox360)

Let me know which games you suggest

Thanks,

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Bulletstorm would be pretty good for this. It has these short sections in which you have to perform as many unique and stylish kills as possible to rack up points. Though you said no FPS so it might not count.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
You'd need peripherals but the two obvious choices would be...

Dance Central. An excellent party game to see who can make the biggest fool of themselves!

Rock Band. Slightly less foolish (unless you're singing of course) but another excellent party game.

Is this a gamer party? I'm just trying to think of good games for everyone (non-gamers included).

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
Keep them coming, some great suggestions.

tippy2k2: This will be a large event with 500+ people

Just_Tiu4U

Nov 6, 2013
I know a game that is a bit interesting but it's in the Android...
It's called Linezeta and it's really fun if your in to Machines and Puzzles (yeah weird combination I know)
Just ask me up if you're really interested in them.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Some of the party focused shitty Kinect Games spring to mind, and you get the bonus points of getting gamers to willfully look like idiots. One of the better fool makers is Hole in the Wall.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Rayman: Legends. Simply pick one of the later levels as comparison and take time + the collected yellow thingies as a messurment

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
You could pick a level of "Trouble Witches Neo", a anime-stylized shoot 'em up from XBLA and try for the high score. It's sorta like a "my first bullet hell" game; easy enough for everyone to play, but frantic enough to be exciting for everyone

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Let me look through my steam library...

Oh Audiosurf! You could compete for high scores on a particular song. The music focus could add to the party atmosphere.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Well, you could always load up one of the Touhou games on the Insane difficulty. Unless your friends have had experience in it before, it is very doubtful a round would last more than 5 minutes, but there is a possibility of it (of course, restricting the amount of continues to 0).

Edit: Now that I see that this is an event with 500+ people, I'd say that touhou might be a very good fit, especially if you can get a few PCs going. It has a built in scoring system and is very much a skill-based game. The only problem is that people with previous experience will absolutely wreck the competition, but that is something that comes with every game.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
hmmm, single-player....
(Win condition)

Sequence is the first one I come up with... (Percentage notes hit)
It's a rhythm game, but if you go to "bonus" you get to pick any song...

As another has suggested, Audiosurf can do the same job, just with custom songs... (Has in-built scoring)

Nation Red has a survival mode.... But that is heavily luck-based on weapon drops... Still fun though... (No. of zombies slain OR time you survived for)

Galcon Fusion for those RTS fans... (Time taken to win)
Cubemen as well... (Time taken to win)

That's my shortlist!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Drummodino said:
Let me look through my steam library...

Oh Audiosurf! You could compete for high scores on a particular song. The music focus could add to the party atmosphere.
Audiosurf is great for this, with the ability to pick any song it can also be the source for a good deal of variation in the music.

What about Alien: Colonial Marines? I doubt anyone can take more than 5 minutes of that. Yeah, I just can't think of anything besides Audiosurf.

If you were willing to go with multiplayer Super Smash Bros. would make a great fit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Bulletstorm challenges.

Kung Fu Strike has some cool challenge levels that are usually fast (as in they are hard as fuck) and the gameplay is very tight.

Batman Arkham City combat challenges.

Alan Wake American Nightmare challenges.

Mirrors Edge races.

Max Payne 2 survival mode (it usually doesnt last long).

Driver San Fransisco has some challenges too.

Hotline Miami, I cant remember how accurate the scoring system can be followed (if it uses an actual score or just letter grades)

EDIT: After seeing the rest of the thread I can see that my suggestions are shit (as in innapropriate)

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Rayman Raving Rabbids - it's a few years old now but the games are good fun and getting a high score is pretty hard. I brought out the PS2 to play it just the other day in a nostalgia moment. Only problem - you'll have to complete Story Mode if you want to unlock Challenge Mode!

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
The Japanese make some good games that involve high scores. Try Bayonetta or Lollipop Chainsaw. Dunno why you don't want to play any FPS games, otherwise Bulletstorm would be right up your alley.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Murmur95 said:
Let me know which games you suggest
Bit of a weird one, but there are demolition modes in Red Faction Guerilla (and Armageddon I think) that are extremely fast paced. Usually you have 2 or 3 mins to cause as much destruction as possible, and get more points for more destruction. Can't find any vids of demolition mode itself, but you can see the destruction physics on youtube.
By itself it might get tiresome after a while, but as one of a few game types it might be good.