Suggest a good gamepad for platforming and N64 games.

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
I'm looking for a good controller with a D-pad like the DS or DualShock and an analogue stick for N64 games.
I'd prefer it to be wired but bluetooth is ok too.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
i say just go out and get an xbox controller
it has basically all the buttons you need and is supported by pretty much any game that is released these days (only reason i gave up on nostromo)

if by some chance you come across a game that doesnt support it or want to play a flash game then you can map the keys using a program called xpadder

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
lechat said:
i say just go out and get an xbox controller
it has basically all the buttons you need and is supported by pretty much any game that is released these days (only reason i gave up on nostromo)

if by some chance you come across a game that doesnt support it or want to play a flash game then you can map the keys using a program called xpadder
The 360 controller doesn't have a good D-pad, it's like a wobbly disk, I have an xbox 360 and I would never use that controller over the keyboard for platforming.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
might be more an issue of cheap manufacture for the console market
i have an aftermarket wireless windows 360 controller and the D pad is excellent. there is no wobble in the D pad and the keys instantly spring back into place. it also has a nice little click as it does it. by comparison my keyboard is kinda spongy

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
If you want to play N64 games you can get an adapter to plug it into your computer. I had one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/N64-PC-USB-Controller-Adapter/dp/B003D61Y30 that served me ever so well. It doesn't say it's compatible with windows 7, but I think it is. If you were worried I could check.

I do prefer now to use either the 360 controller (I've not encountered the wobbly dick issue either), or a similar USB doohickey with a PS2 controller. I don't know what changed in me over the past decade, but I have no idea how I ever used the N64 controller.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
If the Xbox controller doesn't do it, get yourself a PS3 and download MotioninJoy (and the local driver for the version you're downloading, if you can't afford to waste bandwidth). It'll let you play PC games that the 360 Gamepad supports using a PS3 controller that emulates an Xbox controller. Then add Xpadder and you're set.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
For playing Nintendo 64 games, I highly recommend the Nintendo 64. It's a very nice console.

But if you want to play them on PC, there are many adapters to directly connect the N64 controller to USB.