Suggest a programming language

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
I know this is not the best place to ask but I don't know any other forums. I know a moderate amount of Python and I wanted to try something more advanced, so I tried C++ but it was too cumbersome for me, so I was wondering if there is a language which is between Python and C++ in the syntax?

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I kind of find it funny that you went from Python to C++. It's just like...why. But as to your question, try Java or Perl. They're pretty much the same as Python and one another, with a few differences that make them unique. You could also try Flash or HTML for the "lulz".

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
jcb1337 said:
I kind of find it funny that you went from Python to C++. It's just like...why. But as to your question, try Java or Perl. They're pretty much the same as Python and one another, with a few differences that make them unique. You could also try Flash or HTML for the "lulz".
Thanks, I tried C++ because my older sister works with it.

Koobs

Apr 18, 2011
Java is like Perl?

Moving on, what do you mean by 'advanced'? Python can do pretty much any damn thing you throw at it and a lot of sophisticated work in industry is done in it, so you must not be talking about the advanced-ness of the resulting program.

Do you mean faster, natively? Try C#. It's like C++ plus Java, or maybe just like a better Java.

Do you mean more challenging mentally? Try a new paradigm. I like functional languages. OCaml or Haskell in the ML family, Clojure or Scheme(esp. Racket) in the Lisp family.

Above all, don't look to C++ for good syntax. It is not pretty. If you just want nice syntax, Haskell is god-damned beautiful if you can handle the way it works, and any Lisp-alike has a whole cult following because of the regularity of it's parenthesis.

Or if you just want Python with more curly braces, try Ruby.

tl;dr Look at C#, Ruby, Clojure, OCaml in that order.

Gustavo S. Buschle

Feb 23, 2011
Koobs said:
Java is like Perl?

Moving on, what do you mean by 'advanced'? Python can do pretty much any damn thing you throw at it and a lot of sophisticated work in industry is done in it, so you must not be talking about the advanced-ness of the resulting program.

Do you mean faster, natively? Try C#. It's like C++ plus Java, or maybe just like a better Java.

Do you mean more challenging mentally? Try a new paradigm. I like functional languages. OCaml or Haskell in the ML family, Clojure or Scheme(esp. Racket) in the Lisp family.

Above all, don't look to C++ for good syntax. It is not pretty. If you just want nice syntax, Haskell is god-damned beautiful if you can handle the way it works, and any Lisp-alike has a whole cult following because of the regularity of it's parenthesis.

Or if you just want Python with more curly braces, try Ruby.

tl;dr Look at C#, Ruby, Clojure, OCaml in that order.
I mean a language where I can control the memory I use on variables like on C++ but with a better sintax. Or something like that. Tanks by the way.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
Yeah, going from Python to C++ is also a bit weired. If you really want to try something with C I suggest doing some Java irst, then C, java is pretty easy, and going from Java to C is even easier.

I myself, learned Java first, now I'm studying C#

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
Learning plain old C would almost certainly be worth your time, what with C++, C#, Java, and god knows what else being based on its syntax, but if you don't want to get your head around pointers and memory allocation yet, then going for Java first and then moving in to C would let you get used to the syntax in a language that is fairly easy to program in, then move on to actually dicking around with the memory in a C clone.

Alternatively, you could just lose all your sanity to Haskell then find yourself solving every single problem you've ever had by writing one line.

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
I've never even touched Haskell but I think I must now. But yeah Java and Python are nice languages. Then I learnt to code in .lua for Homeworld 1&2 modding so I've had an interesting time with my coding.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
You should try a functional language. Learning a completely new type of programming language will be more useful than one with a slightly different syntax that works in basically the same way. I'd recommend Learn You a Haskell for Great Good [http://learnyouahaskell.com/].

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I started off by buying a book on C++ programming, it took me months to finish it, because I would always fall asleep. I ended up never actually doing any C++ during that time.
2 years later I got into TI-BASIC for my TI-84+ and enjoyed doing that, so I continued on with DarkBASIC for windows, and it was cool and all, but not really effective or fast in the long run. (I found myself having to copy and paste lines of code over and over again and doing things very ineffectively).
A year later or so I had to use Java while studying in Germany, and it was quite alright to work with. We would program a spider to move around. (I studied some of it's source code and found a way for it to teleport around the level and complete it in 3 seconds).
After returning to Norway I've done some minor C++ again but never really got into it again. Right now I'm going for Vala, which is a bit like C#.

I'd suggest Java, syntax is okay, and it's not too bad switching to some other C-like language later on.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Gustavo S. Buschle said:
I know this is not the best place to ask but I don't know any other forums. I know a moderate amount of Python and I wanted to try something more advanced, so I tried C++ but it was too cumbersome for me, so I was wondering if there is a language which is between Python and C++ in the syntax?
Why not continue learning Python, whilst at the same time learning C++? The languages are very closely intertwined, and it's quite easy to write one program using both languages. Python gives you the advantage of rapid development time, and if speed becomes an issue with the program, you can write that bit in C++ to optimise it.